Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:38:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843932 times)
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8820 on: February 07, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »

People read too much into things.....by that logic most kung fu films would be gay (sweaty , bare chested men fighting...no women in sight)

-Stoner 4/6.....extremly 70s  Grin

Lazenby and Mao must stop a sex cult , bit sleazy with the nudity.

-Enter the Game of Death 4/6.....kinda fun

Imitator Bruce Le must fight his way up a pagoda to retrieve document that yanks/Japanese are after in WW2.

-Image of Bruce Lee 4/6.....Bolo steals the show  Cool

Imitator Bruce Li must stop fake money biz.

-True Game of Death 2/6.....meh , pagoda scenes are kinda fun but thats it

The real Lee is poisoned and imitator must finish his film (or something....film failed to grab attention)

-Godfather Squad 4/6....both meh and fun at the same time , bit OTT that the baddies cant hit the hero from 10 meters distance , with Uzis no less  Roll Eyes

Bruce Liang plays an actor who gets threatened by Italy mobsters , some Rome locations not used in Way of Dragon.

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: February 08, 2011, 04:02:44 AM »

Commando - 6/10 - I was in the mood for something stupid. And boy did I get it.

I take it you're a member already: http://commandofans.com/

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: February 08, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

People read too much into things.....by that logic most kung fu films would be gay (sweaty , bare chested men fighting...no women in sight)
But do kung fu characters obsess over penetrating each other with phallic instruments? And do kung fu films feature--as the "let off some steam" moment certainly does-- the kind of imagery that simultaneously depicts penetration whilst intimating ejaculation?

I'm guessing: no.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: February 08, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »

So Long at the Fair (1950) I bought the dvd only because of the (co-) director, expecting some kind of melodrama. As I like Simmons and Bogarde I guessed I wasn't wasting completely 5 euros. To my surprise this revealed to be a pure thriller whose only fault is that, once you know how it ends, you may not want to see it again. But it keeps you on tenterhooks from start to finish. 9\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: February 08, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

So Long at the Fair (1950) I bought the dvd only because of the (co-) director, expecting some kind of melodrama. As I like Simmons and Bogarde I guessed I wasn't wasting completely 5 euros. To my surprise this revealed to be a pure thriller whose only fault is that, once you know how it ends, you may not want to see it again. But it keeps you on tenterhooks from start to finish. 9\10
What kind of hooks?

This is not available on DVD in R1, but there's a DVD due out in the UK in a month. I may get it. This isn't the (supposedly true) story where the killer turns out to be SPOILERacaseoftheplagueSPOILER, is it?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8825 on: February 08, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »

But do kung fu characters obsess over penetrating each other with phallic instruments? And do kung fu films feature--as the "let off some steam" moment certainly does-- the kind of imagery that simultaneously depicts penetration whilst intimating ejaculation?

I'm guessing: no.

You're funny! I like you, Jenkins. That's why I'll kill you last.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: February 08, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »

BRIGHTON ROCK(2011)

Disappointingly mediocre despite the top notch British cast.But because i'm from the Eastbourne area(and spectacular nearby Beachy Head cliffs) which is where most of the seafront footage (not much from Brighton) i'll give this an okish 6/10.

THE KINGS SPEECH(2011)

Again a great cast(Firth is brilliant as King George Vi) but a pretty engaging and touching movie and that's from someone who dislikes royalty!

8/10

BLACK SWAN(2011)

Didn't think this would be my thing with the ballet and all that but i have to say this is the best new film i've  seen recently .Even though i find it's very "evil winning over good" vibe quite depressing, i found the lead ballerina's performance and conversion from the sweet vulnerable White Swan to  frighteningly possessed Black Swan disturbing but somehow very moving.A downbeat ending nearly as upsetting as THE GREAT SILENCE.

9/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: February 08, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »

You're funny! I like you, Jenkins. That's why I'll kill you last.

Hahaha.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »

What kind of hooks?

Those without a gay subtext.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: February 09, 2011, 04:35:56 AM »

The Bridge At Remagen (1969)  Afro

I saw this in a big screen Times Square theater in 1969 and remember enjoying it so I bought the DVD and watched it last night, and really enjoyed it all over again. Its based on the true story of the Remagen Bridge over the Rhine that the American Army captured intact. Directed by John Guillermin with George Segal, Robert Vaughn, Ben Gazzara, Bradford Dillman, E.G. Marshall, Peter van Eyck, Hans Christian Blech, and Bo Hopkins. The story is told from both perspectives and two men, Segal the American Lt. Hartman has been ordered to capture the town around the bridge. He's told not to worry about the bridge because it is taken for granted that the Germans will have demolished it themselves by the time he gets there, or that the air force will bomb it in order to trap and destroy the trapped German 15th Army on the wrong side of the bridge. Vaughn the German Major Kruger, is ordered to blow up the bridge. The 15th Army and countless civilians are to be sacrificed at the greater expense of protecting the German Fatherland. The General who gives Major Kruger the order to blow up the bridge suggests that holding the combination road/railroad bridge for as long as possible so that fleeing troops and civilians can escape might not be a bad idea. This leads to the events depicted quite entertainingly in the film. 8/10

I agree but I can't understand why there's people always making a case about GBU lypsynch and then nobody objects to english speaking germans (and german officers at that). Anyway, I think Vaughn (who was quite popular at the time because of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. series) is miscast. I can put up with german actors speaking english but not with an american actor playing a german speaking english. And I can't stand Gazzara anyway.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: February 09, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »

Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) This is notable for the attack scenes and the fact that the story is built around the political and military goings-on behind the scene. So the choice of giving parts to some known actors (the ever present E.G.  Marshall, for one) is probably wrong as it detracts from the documentaristic approach. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: February 09, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »

Pork Chop Hill (1959) It could have been better, much better, but it lacks focus and misses on many regards what
later movies (We Were Soldiers, for example) do much better. Still I might be unfair to it, as the film's aim might very well be to represent the unconclusiveness of it all.  I'll watch it again. 6\10   

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8832 on: February 09, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »

Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) This is notable for the attack scenes and the fact that the story is built around the political and military goings-on behind the scene. So the choice of giving parts to some known actors (the ever present E.G.  Marshall, for one) is probably wrong as it detracts from the documentaristic approach. 8\10

I found Tora dull and dry as toast, but it's been ages since I've seen it. Never seen Pork Chop Hill the whole way thorugh.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8833 on: February 09, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »

Batman (1989) - 7/10 - I liked it more than I was expecting to. Very neat mis-en-scene and the tone - dark-ish without taking itself too seriously - seems just right for this kind of film, if you can ignore the Prince music. Keaton's a bland Batman but Nicholson's Joker is a lot of fun and Bassinger is a good love interest. Not a great film but fun for what it is, and I'd probably rather watch it again than either of the Nolan flicks.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: February 10, 2011, 01:24:51 AM »

Batman (1989) - 7/10 - I liked it more than I was expecting to. Very neat mis-en-scene and the tone - dark-ish without taking itself too seriously - seems just right for this kind of film, if you can ignore the Prince music. Keaton's a bland Batman but Nicholson's Joker is a lot of fun and Bassinger is a good love interest. Not a great film but fun for what it is, and I'd probably rather watch it again than either of the Nolan flicks.

I haven't seen this one in ages, but from what I remember it's a solid 8. Compared to these new Christopher Nolan resources consuming amalgamations of everything shiny and phony at the same time, I might as well give it a 9.5/10.

Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM