Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:16:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838031 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8835 on: February 10, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »

Gung Ho! (1943) I expected more from this but it's really a disappointment. The only scene worth watching is the one of the man who fell asleep on the outside of the submarine (!). The rest is childish. The italian dvd quality is only passable. 4\10

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: February 10, 2011, 03:12:19 PM »

How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck... (1976) - 8.5/10

Huie's Predigt (1980) - 7/10

God's Angry Man (1980) - 8/10

The Lady from Shanghai (1947) - 9/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8837 on: February 10, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »

I haven't seen this one in ages, but from what I remember it's a solid 8. Compared to these new Christopher Nolan resources consuming amalgamations of everything shiny and phony at the same time, I might as well give it a 9.5/10.

Are Batman Returns and Batman Forever worth checking out?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:26:27 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »

Batman Returns is decent. I don't know if I would go out of my way to see it. It's been a while though.

I can't stand the pretentious Nolan movies.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8839 on: February 10, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »

Michael Collins - 9/10 - A very old-fashioned biopic (its structure is virtually identical to Gandhi, for a start) about a still-controversial figure. Despite its conventional plot structure, it's an excellent film, with lots of action, beautiful photography and music, and lots of well-earned emotion and pathos. Liam Neeson gives a brilliant performance which easily surpasses everything else I've seen him in. Good supporting work, too, from Alan Rickman and Aidan Quinn. The only flaw is the horribly-miscast Julia Roberts; who the fuck looked at her and thought "Irishwoman"? Oh well, it's forgivable.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8840 on: February 11, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »

Are Batman Begins and Batman Forever worth checking out?

For what it's worth: Begins is one of the worst super hero movies ever.
Everything is TERRIBLE except for a lot of the supporting cast.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: February 11, 2011, 04:28:32 AM »

On Dangerous Ground (1952) dir: Nicholas Ray, with Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Ward Bond, Charles Kemper, Anthony Ross, Ed Begley, Ian Wolfe, Sumner Williams, and Nita Talbot.

Just about every time I've caught this its been from the manhunt in the country sequence to the end. One time I saw the very beginning and never knew how it segued from the city to the countryside, I always assumed Ryan was chasing a crook.

Now I finally know the story, brutal cop with inner turmoil, get shipped to the rurales to help with a manhunt. Ends up seeing himself reflected in Ward Bond's revenge filled father character. Woman, Ida Lupino, soothes the savage beast. A pretty good noir with a nice juxtaposition of city/country images. Watch Nita Talbot's prostitute character in the bar as she looks Ryan up and down. 8.5/10. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8842 on: February 11, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »

For what it's worth: Begins is one of the worst super hero movies ever.
Everything is TERRIBLE except for a lot of the supporting cast.

I meant Batman Returns. Batman Begins does indeed suck.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »

Are Batman Returns and Batman Forever worth checking out?

Ugh, good thing you edited your post, I almost started writing... Afro

Anyway, I remember I absolutely hated Batman Returns when it came out, however, when I later saw it on TV it kinda grew on me. It took a couple of shots, yeah, and it's been 10 years or so since I last saw it. The supporting cast seems to be the best part, I actually saw only now Pat Hingle played Commissioner Gordon.

Batman Forever? Well, it's better than Batman & Robin, that's for sure.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8844 on: February 12, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »

Dances With Wolves - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. It's got a lot going for it: gorgeous photography, excellent action scenes (especially the buffalo hunt), spirited performances by the Indian actors and a beautiful John Barry score. It's definitely worth noting that, even in the slower parts, it's never exactly boring. Working against it: Costner the actor, laughably caricatured white characters, anachronistic sopping to political correctness, annoying narration and lots of moronic, sub-John Ford humor. Then you've got idiocies like the Sioux becoming expert riflemen with no training and Costner getting brained a dozen times in the last half hour (he must have a cast-iron skull). Good but not Best Picture good.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: February 12, 2011, 04:17:05 AM »

Yowser.... I still prefer "Little Big Man" for laughably caricatured white characters, anachronistic sopping to political correctness, annoying narration and lots of moronic, sub-John Ford humor.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8846 on: February 12, 2011, 05:12:22 AM »

Dances With Wolves - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. It's got a lot going for it: gorgeous photography, excellent action scenes (especially the buffalo hunt), spirited performances by the Indian actors and a beautiful John Barry score. It's definitely worth noting that, even in the slower parts, it's never exactly boring. Working against it: Costner the actor, laughably caricatured white characters, anachronistic sopping to political correctness, annoying narration and lots of moronic, sub-John Ford humor. Then you've got idiocies like the Sioux becoming expert riflemen with no training and Costner getting brained a dozen times in the last half hour (he must have a cast-iron skull). Good but not Best Picture good.

I've always liked this movie but have you seen the longest version? It really gets boring with about half an hour of stupid mystic talk and scenes toward the end.

Black Swan Uh... 7/10? 8/10?
Very well done. Appart from:
- Portman's character at the begining a bit cliché (you can be a white swan without living in a pink bedroom and without that ennoying little voice)
- Vincent Cassel's french lines (ok, he only has like 6 french lines, but they really sound terrible. Whereas he is amazingly good the rest of the time. I'm sticking with my opinion: I still have to see ONE director able to direct an actor in a langage he (the director) doesn't know)
- The whole adolescent feeling. Aronofsky is a great filmmaker, but while Pie and Requiem For A Dream needed this kind of candid adolescent that tries so hard to be a disturbing artist feeling, it doesn't work with The Fontain, The Wrestler and Black Swan. You can say that the guy isn't very mature, and that's a problem for these 3 movies to reach the magnitude/amplitude they try to get to. Not sure I'm clear. In Black Swan, for instance, a more open ending and a less cliché character would have been great for the movie.
The rest is great.
The subway scenes, shot on Canon 7D, perfectly fit in the film, even if the image is a bit noisy: the whole film is noisy. I knew about them so I thought they felt a bit video, but I wouldn't have noticed if I had not paid attention.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:21:09 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8847 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »

I don't think I'll bother with the four-hour cut of Dances With Wolves. Three hours was pushing it for me.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: February 12, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »

Sink the Bismarck! (1960) It gives little a good documentary wouldn't deliver. During the sea battles it is hard  to make out who's shooting who, the ships looking all the same (exactly as they do to british airplanes which, by mistake, torpedo one of their ships by mistaking her for the Bismarck). The Germans speak English, just to add some more confusion. 5\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8849 on: February 12, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »

Sink the Bismarck! (1960) It gives little a good documentary wouldn't deliver. During the sea battles it is hard  to make out who's shooting who, the ships looking all the same (exactly as they do to british airplanes which, by mistake, torpedo one of their ships by mistaking her for the Bismarck). The Germans speak English, just to add some more confusion. 5\10

I liked Sink the Bismarck! If you'd used those exact words about Battle on the River Plate, then we'd be in agreement.

Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM