Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:14:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770365 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8850 on: February 12, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »

I liked Sink the Bismarck! If you'd used those exact words about Battle on the River Plate, then we'd be in agreement.

I think I might, though I saw that movie a quarter of century ago.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: February 12, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »

Yowser.... I still prefer "Little Big Man" for laughably caricatured white characters, anachronistic sopping to political correctness, annoying narration and lots of moronic, sub-John Ford humor.  Afro
Afro Afro Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8852 on: February 12, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »

Little Big Man isn't any better.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8853 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:42 AM »

Exactly. It's not "better" it's perfect.
Tongue

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: February 13, 2011, 04:00:54 AM »

Two Herzog oddballs and one great documentary:

Measures Against Fanatics (1969) - 5/10

The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz (1967) - 5.5/10

Echoes from a Somber Empire (1990) - 8.5/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8855 on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »

Exactly. It's not "better" it's perfect.
Tongue

Perfectly mediocre.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8856 on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »

Rewatches of:

The Wizard of Oz - 9/10 - Have seen this a bunch of times.

Gone With the Wind - 7/10 - 2nd viewing.

Thanks TCM.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8857 on: February 13, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »

I've been revisiting The X-Files lately, so...

The X-Files: Fight the Future - 7/10 - 3rd viewing. Even in my days as a devoted X-Phile I had problems with this movie: it fits awkwardly into the show's mythology, the plot is a bit convoluted and awkwardly-structured and aside from John Neville the regulars are poorly used. Still, it's reasonably entertaining up until the overlong and overwrought Antarctica sections. Lots of great Mulder and Scully banter, some good "guest stars" (Terry O'Quinn, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Martin Landau) and a few creative action scenes make this an enjoyable (if disposable) film.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe - 5/10 - I don't know why this movie was made; the show had been cancelled for five years and had long since gone downhill so who exactly was asking for it? The only real interest is seeing what happened to Mulder, Scully and Co. after the finale: Duchovny has an Al Gore beard, Anderson has long hair and Mitch Pileggi's still bald. The story's very poorly thought-out and not interesting enough for a forty-five minute TV episode, let alone a two-hour movie, and the sidetracks about Scully's medical career are cloying to the extreme. The "guest" actors suck (Xzibit, seriously?). For devoted X-Philes only.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: February 14, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »

Alexander the Great (1956) This could have been one of the best epic movies ever if it had had good fighting scenes. In spite of the thousand of extras these are rather weak instead, because you see people fighting but you don't know who is winning (well, a good guess is Alexander who's always in the lead) and why. A pity because the behind the scenes politics mixed up with familial troubles are excellent. Another minus is Burton's blond wig. Beautiful women and great costumes and sets (not a great score though) induce me to give a 8\10

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: February 14, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »

I've been revisiting The X-Files lately, so...

The X-Files: Fight the Future - 7/10 - 3rd viewing. Even in my days as a devoted X-Phile I had problems with this movie: it fits awkwardly into the show's mythology, the plot is a bit convoluted and awkwardly-structured and aside from John Neville the regulars are poorly used. Still, it's reasonably entertaining up until the overlong and overwrought Antarctica sections. Lots of great Mulder and Scully banter, some good "guest stars" (Terry O'Quinn, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Martin Landau) and a few creative action scenes make this an enjoyable (if disposable) film.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe - 5/10 - I don't know why this movie was made; the show had been cancelled for five years and had long since gone downhill so who exactly was asking for it? The only real interest is seeing what happened to Mulder, Scully and Co. after the finale: Duchovny has an Al Gore beard, Anderson has long hair and Mitch Pileggi's still bald. The story's very poorly thought-out and not interesting enough for a forty-five minute TV episode, let alone a two-hour movie, and the sidetracks about Scully's medical career are cloying to the extreme. The "guest" actors suck (Xzibit, seriously?). For devoted X-Philes only.

What season does it fall apart? 5 seems to be the consensus.

I actually got into the show recently - I'd watch it every now and again as a kid - so I'm looking forward to the first movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8860 on: February 14, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »

What season does it fall apart? 5 seems to be the consensus.

I actually got into the show recently - I'd watch it every now and again as a kid - so I'm looking forward to the first movie.

Personally, I think it's mostly good until Season 7 or so, though the show's "mythology" gets confused and shoddy long before then. The seasons with Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish can be safely ignored.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: February 14, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »

The Girl Hunters (1963) OK thanks to titoli I now own a copy of this. Did a re-watch of the film yesterday and today. Its got some positives & negatives.

Positive:

Lots of New York City establishing & location shots, this was "my" city, the 1963 NY I remember as a kid the police black white & olive green squad cars (BTW they changed to todays white & blue color scheme during 1973-74), the yellow cabs, the store fronts. Mike Hammer in his correct environment.

Shirley Eaton, "hammertomically" correct in every way, she is the femme fatale of the piece and a knockout. For those of you not familiar with the name she later became the iconic girl in gold in the James Bond flick "Gold Finger". She also has a memorable final denouement.

Loyd Nolan makes a nice supporting appearance.

Negative:

Not really filmed in the Noir style, "Kiss Me Deadly" nails this aspect beautifully.

Mickey Splillane plays Hammer, now if he was a better actor it may have been better, he looks a bit ridiculous in the pork-pie hat. I still say Charles McGraw, or Broderick Crawford would have been ideal.

No Velma.

Could have used more of everything its a bit too sparse as it is, more interesting interiors, transitions, shots, lighting, camera angles, more time with bit part characters, again see "Kiss Me Deadly" as a comparison.

Score is a bit way too one note and somewhat overpowering where it is used. I prefer "Harlem Nocturne" which was used as the main theme in the Keach TV Hammer series.

And what is with this fetish with bullets, and linking crimes with bullets fired by the same gun, this and "I, The Jury" use this device and you got to think to yourself that any criminal with a brain is going to get rid of the murder weapon and not conveniently keep reusing the same gun over and over.

Not enough sex & graphic violence, again the books were ahead of the films in this department.

6.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8862 on: February 15, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »

A Man for All Seasons - 9/10 - Watched this again in my Tudor England class.

Lost Patrol (1934) - 7/10 - An existential war film dressed up as a standard adventure story. Short, very fast-paced and admirably straightforward, though a few things hurt it: hammy supporting performances (especially Boris Karloff), an endless supply of war movie cliches and an overbearing, omnipresent score. Victor McLaglen gives a marvelously understated performance, miles removed from the haminess of his later work with Ford. A mixed bag, but mostly good.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »

Vynález zkázy (1958)  About 40 years since I saw most of Karel Zeman's production. I'm talking about  someone I consider the greatest poet of the fantasic genre. So I'm not able to say if this is his best ever movie. 8\10

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: February 17, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »

Ballad of the Little Soldier (1984) - 9/10

Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997) - 9/10

The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974) - 6.5/10

The Dark Glow of the Mountains (1984) - 7.5/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »