Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:11:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769762 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8925 on: March 07, 2011, 05:30:33 AM »

Its up there with my favorite Wayne/Ford films.

PS. and regarding Constance Towers, check out her opening sequence of Sam Fullers "The Naked Kiss", lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cD7N3Mleo

yeah cigarjoe, for more of my thoughts on "The Horse Soldiers," check out my comments here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4147.0 (it's the 13th comment on the thread)

btw, The Horse Soldiers doesn't even have it's own proper thread, cj. You just lumped it together with 2 other films on one of them "TV Guide" threads. A great movie like this deserves its own proper thread  Wink

RE: that Constance Towers clip you posted: Yikes! wtf is that? Please tell me she is wearing a bald wig?!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8926 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »

Mary, Queen of Scots - 8/10 - From the people who brought you Anne of the Thousand Days... A lavishly produced and marvelously entertaining epic that makes John Ford's Mary of Scotland seem like a stilted bore. Vanessa Redgrave is an excellent Mary, Glenda Jackson is possibly the best screen Elizabeth (her second time in the part, I believe?) and how can you go wrong with a supporting cast including Trevor Howard, Nigel Davenport, Patrick McGoohan, Timothy Dalton and Ian Holm? One of John Barry's best scores, too.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:39 AM »

yeah cigarjoe, for more of my thoughts on "The Horse Soldiers," check out my comments here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4147.0 (it's the 13th comment on the thread)

btw, The Horse Soldiers doesn't even have it's own proper thread, cj. You just lumped it together with 2 other films on one of them "TV Guide" threads. A great movie like this deserves its own proper thread  Wink

RE: that Constance Towers clip you posted: Yikes! wtf is that? Please tell me she is wearing a bald wig?!

Yea it probably should have its own thread, we'd probably have to debate where it should properly go though Westerns or Movie Index.

Re Constance Towers, don't know on the wig, lol, she's also in Fuller's "Shock Corridor" playing a stripper.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:28:43 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8928 on: March 08, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »

John Paul Jones - 5/10 - From the subject matter I was hoping for an exciting historical swashbuckler. What I got was a stilted, talky, flag-waving biopic that never rises above a third-grade social studies lecture, albeit a beautifully photographed one. I've never thought much of Robert Stack but his stiff acting style suits the movie's characterization of Jones perfectly. Some interesting cameos (Bette Davis, Peter Cushing, Charles Coburn in the ugliest wig ever) and a ravishing Marisa Pavan fill out the background.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: March 08, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »

Yea it probably should have its own thread, we'd probably have to debate where it should properly go though Westerns or Movie Index.

Re Constance Towers, don't know on the wig, lol, she's also in Fuller's "Shock Corridor" playing a stripper.

The Horse Soldiers is totally a Civil War movie; it is not a Western at all. Not every Wayne/Ford film is necessarily a Western  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »

Double Jeopardy (1999) Totally absurd plot for a fast-paced thriller. It has some good scene (the ferry, the coffin) and TLJ in top form. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8931 on: March 09, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »

The Horse Soldiers is totally a Civil War movie; it is not a Western at all. Not every Wayne/Ford film is necessarily a Western  Wink

What are you talking about? The Quiet Man and The Wings of Eagles are the Westernist Westerns in the history of Westerns.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: March 09, 2011, 07:36:20 AM »

What are you talking about? The Quiet Man and The Wings of Eagles are the Westernist Westerns in the history of Westerns.

never saw either of 'em. can't find The Quiet Man on iTunes. If it doesn't show up soon  on one of the classic movie channels, I'll buy the dvd. It's been on my list for a while

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »

Sling Blade (1996) I bought the dvd following the enthusiastic recommendation of a book on crime novels and crime movies. But there is little crime. This is a heavy-handed melodrama, based on the usual corny Hollywood formula "outcast (a whole band: women, gays, child, retarded: you name it)  vs. a veritable, incredible ah". And more of two hours of this. Billy Bob plays a good part but the effect pales after a quarter of an hour. 4\10   

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »

can't find The Quiet Man on iTunes.

That's a blessing in disguise.

It usually plays on TCM on Patty's Day.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »

That's a blessing in disguise.

It usually plays on TCM on Patty's Day.

I check TCM constantly; it's probably my favorite channel in the world. So i will definitely see it if it comes up. DVR is the greatest invention since color film  Smiley

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »

The Inspector General (1949) One of Kaye's best, which means some good gags but still too much footage easily disposable. 6\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8937 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »

The Quiet Man - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. I remembered disliking this film, but rewatching this afternoon I found it completely charming. Yeah it's a bit goofy in spots but it's entertaining and beautifully-shot. Definitely one of Wayne's best performances; O'Hara and Barry Fitzgerald are fine too. Get rid of Victor McLaglen and you've got a perfect cast.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: March 09, 2011, 02:02:11 PM »

The Quiet Man - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. I remembered disliking this film, but rewatching this afternoon I found it completely charming. Yeah it's a bit goofy in spots but it's entertaining and beautifully-shot. Definitely one of Wayne's best performances; O'Hara and Barry Fitzgerald are fine too. Get rid of Victor McLaglen and you've got a perfect cast.

between this post and your previous posts to me, you seem to be quite schizophrenic about The Quiet Man  Wink

and man, you (and titoli) have some vendetta against Victor McLaglen. I just don't get it; but hey, every man is entitled to his own opinion, I guess! I think he was a wonderful actor; whether playing the drunk Irish character (eg. Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon), or in the very serious role in The Informer, I think he was just terrific. (I also recently saw him in a 1929 Ford film called "The Black Watch" http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10145.0
his Scottish accent isn't nearly as strong in that one, surprisingly. hard for me to judge his performance in that one cuz the picture and sound quality of the dvd was awful)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:10:28 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8939 on: March 09, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »

McLaglen's great in The Informer and Lost Patrol where he plays serious roles. I also enjoyed his work in Gunga Din. His comic relief roles with Ford brought out the worst in him, though.

Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM