Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:37:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770146 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8955 on: March 15, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »

Tobruk (1966) I thought it was a kolossal epic war movie, instead is a simpler special mission one. Rather dullish, it could have made a better use of the "tarantinian" (?) premises (a group of german jews disguised as german soldiers). 5\10   

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: March 15, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »

Battle of the Bulge (1965) Rather disappointing in the battle scenes, given the means at disposal. Great performances by Shaw and the german actors. Pier Angeli is still very pretty. Still it manages to entertain with a cople pof great moments (the panzer song and the final dialogue between Shaw and his assistant). 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8957 on: March 15, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »

Battle of the Bulge (1965) Rather disappointing in the battle scenes, given the means at disposal. Great performances by Shaw and the german actors. Pier Angeli is still very pretty. Still it manages to entertain with a cople pof great moments (the panzer song and the final dialogue between Shaw and his assistant). 7\10

That movie's horrible.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: March 16, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »

Hamburger Hill (1987) I think the main fault with this lies in the actors: not a single face that breaks the screen. The rest is passable, but there's nothing original. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: March 16, 2011, 05:47:39 PM »

Goldfinger (1964) As I wrote repeatedly, it's a toss-up between this and Thunderball as the best Bond ever. After almost 50 years of repeated visions I still can't decide. The only faults with this are the gang reunion, which makes no sense plotwise and the fact that Oddjob doen't take the gold from the Lincoln befor letting it smash. But one has to admit that these two episodes are resolved beautifully visually. So these 2 movies are still my favourite all-time action movies. And Froebe is still my favourite Bond villain.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: March 16, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

Harry and Tonto (first time) - absolutely spectacular movie. Incredible script and a well-deserved Best Actor Oscar for Art Carney.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

From Hell - 7.5/10

Juicy Victorian goryness with some really pretty painting-like shots of London. Cute Johnny Depp mixing all Victorian Decadence tropes (and legendary drugs) together. Bilbo stealing the show. Oh, and Hagrid being the sidekick with funny lines. I think I also saw Mercer in a supporting role. The whole thing looks like it should.

Still, it lacks something, some kind of spirit.

Also, thinking in casting American Gods - Ian Holm for Hinzelmann!  Afro

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:47:30 PM by Jill » Logged

"Does this unit have a soul?"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »

Raid on Rommel (1971) I hadn't even heard about this until I bought the dvd. Another special mission war flick, making use of some Tobruk footage and which is unremarkable otherwise. Pervading use of awful arrangements of Lilliburlero. 5\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: March 16, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »

Scarlet Street (1945) dir Fritz Lang, with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Benett, Dan Duryea. Netflix disk is faded out needs a restoration, would look great restored, even with lousy print 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »

Scarlet Street (1945) dir Fritz Lang, with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Benett, Dan Duryea. Netflix disk is faded out needs a restoration, would look great restored, even with lousy print 7/10

I have the italian release. I'll see what it looks like today. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: March 17, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »

Blood Work (2002) One of the best (maybe the best) Eastwood's performances. The story is simple (though absurd, as it happens often with fictive serial killers) but it doesn't have dead times so I give it 8\10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: March 17, 2011, 12:47:59 AM »

The Presidio (1988) Average hollywood thriller, worth watching only for Connery's fans. The story is just passable, but the love angle is too obtrusive, stuck to it for female audience's sake. I give it 6\10 only for the initial car-chase sequence.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: March 17, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »

Unbreakable 6/10 -- I should say very clearly: I am not into supernatural movies whatsoever (I only watched it cuz it happened to be on AMC at the time). So I am not pretending to judge it fairly. If you like supernatural films, maybe you'll like this one too. (The only supernatural films I ever liked were "The Shining" and "The Sixth Sense," [though the latter was ruined for me cuz someone told me the ending beforehand])

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8968 on: March 17, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »

Rewatches of:

Leprechaun in the Hood - 0/10 - What better way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Sabrina - 7/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: March 18, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »

Limitless (2011) - 8/10. A scruffy writer seeking inspiration is introduced to a drug that so enhances his mind, the possibilities become . . . limitless. This thriller was a pleasant surprise, partly because at first it wasn't obvious that it was a thriller. And in spite of frequent indications of debilitating side-effects, the film took an unusual pro-drug stance. Then De Niro showed up, sporting some of the greatest neckwear of the 21st Century (who supplied the ties for this film? Zegna?). He even did a little acting. I never knew where this movie was going, and I was very happy that it didn't turn out to have the usual conspiracy angle. The low-key ending faked me out too. A number of optical effects embellished the film (which I saw--and which everyone should see--in 4K), but the best visual was supplied by the face and figure of Abbie Cornish. I'm in love! And I guess since she's in Sucker Punch, that's what I'll be watching next weekend.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM