Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 05:28:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760756 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8985 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »

Clean (2004) -7/10.

Also: weird first part of the movie, composed of (too) long sequences that have no impact on the rest of the story, each of them being a bit boring although worth a look. Probably part of the Wenders feeling.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: March 21, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »

Are you talking about the bar scene? And what else?

One other thing I liked was the way the woman's story was developed parallel to the story of the Nick Nolte character and the boy. Just when the Maggie Cheung line would start to lose interest, OA would hand off to the Nolte thread. And of course then the two threads would eventually join, and you could start to anticipate that without guessing exactly when the two would converge. Eastwood did something similar recently in Hereafter (with 3 threads), and it's been used many times before, but I thought it was particularly effective here.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: March 21, 2011, 11:55:11 PM »

The Vengeance of Fu Manchu (1967) This fares better than its predecessor I reviewed some month ago. Faster paced essentially. No irony, unfortunately, but watchable at least once. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: March 22, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)  This brought the Thing inside a spaceship and so twenty years later the Alien series was born. It still has a vision value because the b&w phoyography, the low budget sets and the scarce visibility of the alien creature add to the suspense. The movie last for 66 minutes which is about just right: it made me jump a couple of times. 7\10     

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: March 22, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »

The Grapes of Wrath (first time) Communist bullshit. 

Generally, I don't like to focus on a film's politics. Whether I agree or disagree with a particular film's political message, I just try to judge the film on its  artistic qualities (ie. "Assuming you agreed with the message, is it a good piece of art?") To that extent, it was indeed a pretty good film. The acting was great all around, with particularly wonderful performances by Henry Fonda, John Carradine, and Jane Darwell. Honda was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar; Darwell won the Oscar for Best Actress.

With that said.... It is impossible to avoid politics here. This is a very, very political film (btw though I never read the book, I have seen written in movie reviews that the politics are far more subtle in the movie than in the book).
The implication that a) The poor are prevented from prospering because of greedy landowners and corrupt law enforcement; and b) collectivization is the solution to poverty; is absolute nonsense.

Sure, the plight of the Okies was truly heart-rending, and there have always been individuals across all sides of the political spectrum that have been guilty of acting unethically. But the movie was utterly ridiculous. Heck, the Soviet Union had no landowners and lots of collectivized farms; I don't know any Okies that fled there!  Wink

The politics in the film are just total bullshit.
The free market has been the greatest catalyst for freedom and increased wealth for everyone across all classes of society

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8990 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »

Brilliant insight there, Hedda Hopper.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: March 23, 2011, 12:07:42 AM »

The Grapes of Wrath's brilliant.

Confidential Report (1955) - 7/10
It appears that there are at least a couple of different cuts around. I have no idea which one I saw.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: March 23, 2011, 12:14:12 AM »

It Came From Outer Space (1953) The story works only in the first part, after the kidnapping start it becomes rather ridiculous. Still some of the plot-turns gave birth to whole sub-genres. But the strenght of this movie lies in some images, among the strongest in the cinema. The alien ship coming up on the screen must have had an effect on the audience, seen in 3D, like that of the train in the Lumière Bros. short. And the shot of the crater with the domelike starship is one of the most impressive in cinema history. 7\10   

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: March 23, 2011, 04:02:34 AM »

I remember seeing these SiFi flicks on TV in the 1960's, some were good some were pure schlock. The ones that stand out in memory were "Forbidden Planet", "The Crawling Eye", "The Thing From Another World", "Queen of Outer Space", "Attack of the Crab Monsters" "Invasion of The Body Snatchers", the rest all fall into a fuzzy paella of various bits and pieces.

I wouldn't mind seeing "It, The Terror from Beyond Space", I can't remember that one well, is that the one where one guy gets something on his hand and the others have to prevent the hand/arm from attacking his own body?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: March 23, 2011, 04:03:03 AM »

I remember seeing these SiFi flicks on TV in the 1960's, some were good some were pure schlock. The ones that stand out in memory were "Forbidden Planet", "The Crawling Eye", "The Thing From Another World", "Queen of Outer Space", "Attack of the Crab Monsters" "Invasion of The Body Snatchers", the rest all fall into a fuzzy paella of various bits and pieces.

I wouldn't mind seeing "It, The Terror from Beyond Space", I can't remember that one well, is that the one where one guy gets something on his hand and the others have to prevent the hand/arm from attacking his own body?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: March 23, 2011, 04:41:54 AM »

No, it isn't. I saw the one you mention but I can't remember the title. Anyway I'm gonna list others these days.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »

Confidential Report (1955) - 7/10
It appears that there are at least a couple of different cuts around. I have no idea which one I saw.
Doesn't matter. They're all equally bad.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: March 23, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »

The Phantom Planet (1961) This was made 7 years before 2001 but it could have been made 8 years before Meliés Trip to the Moon. It has only one good thing going for it: the gals, all pretty. It should have been made as an exploitation movie. The story and the pace aren't that bad, but you just can't keep from laughing at the cheap production. 4\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8998 on: March 23, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »

The Phantom Planet (1961) This was made 7 years before 2001 but it could have been made 8 years before Meliés Trip to the Moon. It has only one good thing going for it: the gals, all pretty. It should have been made as an exploitation movie. The story and the pace aren't that bad, but you just can't keep from laughing at the cheap production. 4\10

You know, Captain, every year I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best exist to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful, if you only take the time to look at it. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:30 AM »

You know, Captain, every year I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best exist to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful, if you only take the time to look at it. Cheesy

You're talking to the wrong person. You meant dave jenkins. 

Phantom from Space (1953) Well this is the cheapest SF production I ever saw. Short of this you have a person telling a SF story to the camera. If Fidani, instead of SW, had been making SF movies 20 years before his days, he could have made this movie. A pity the italian dvd hasn't got the original audio: that would have made it even more funnier. 1\10

Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM