Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:30:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835480 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9030 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about your sense of humor.

No one knew about yours.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: March 30, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »

The Time Machine (1959) I've seen it for the 4th time and it's still one of the best fantastic movies ever. 8\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: March 30, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »

The Time Machine (1959) I've seen it for the 4th time and it's still one of the best fantastic movies ever. 8\10

The Rod Taylor one?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:09 AM »

The Rod Taylor one?

Yep.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:31 AM »

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) Another of my favourite ones. I saw it in a cinema in the late '60's and still holds good. Did remember about it little, though I saw it again on TV. Great plot and great dialogues, often funny. Arlene Dahl is a plus, Pat Boone a minus. 8\10

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »

Finished the last episodes of The Pillars of The Earth. It's quite a good adaptation, there are some WTF changes but most of them make sense (and look good).

I'd recommend the book, it's way better than Follett's modern-day settings. Here you have everything yummy... medieval England, intigue, killings, civil war, rape, pillage, witches, some really lovable heroes and really magnificent villains, plus a lot of interesting details about monks' life and cathedral building. Near the end, even Thomas Becket gets a role. (Not in the miniseries, unfortunately.)

In the miniseries, the villains steal the show. Ian McShane makes a badass evil Deacon (later Bishop and Cardinal) who looks like Alan Rickman as Snape with +20 kgs. (Also, why are Deacons always evil? Is it something like Grand Viziers?)

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9036 on: March 31, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »

Watchmen - 7/10 - I've never read the graphic novel so I can't compare. I liked good bits of the film, and the basic idea is great, which makes me think the comic might be up my alley. My big problem here is that the film got too bogged down in backstory, removing any impetus or suspsense from the story. Most of what made me want to kill Zack Snyder in 300 is well-employed here and it's certainly interesting on a visual level. Music choices range from obvious (Ride of the Valkyries in a Vietnam War scene?) to pathetic (the Hallelujah sex scene). It's fun to see Robert Wisden (one of the better X-Files "monsters of the week") as Nixon. Worth watching once.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:52 AM »

Watchmen - 7/10 -  Music choices range from obvious (Ride of the Valkyries in a Vietnam War scene?) to pathetic (the Hallelujah sex scene).
You know the director is really messing up when even Groggy can pinpoint the bad music choices. What is it with Snyder and music, anyway? The guy has no taste whatsoever. In Sucker Punch he raids the "classics"--"Sweet Dreams Are Made of This", The Smiths' "Asleep", "Love Is the Drug", and in the video spots, "Army of Me," "White Rabbit," "Search and Destroy," and "Tomorrow Never Knows." Mind you, he doesn't use the versions by the original artists (although "Army of Me" does have Bjork vocals), he has these new-and-improved versions that he trots out. Worst of both worlds: obvious song selections, NOT performed by the original artists. What a hack that man is.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: April 01, 2011, 06:52:13 AM »

L'instinct de mort: Mesrine Part 1 (2008) - Another gangster bio pic! Can't have enough of those, I guess. This is a little hard to evaluate, as I need to see Part 2 (not yet available on North American Blu) to get the whole picture. But the film has a certain style--the director likes to use split screen a lot, in inventive ways. The cast is okay (with some incredibly good looking female supporting players), and the vintage clothes, cars, and desaturated colors are fun. Most interesting to me was the peek at life in a Canadian maximum security prison circa 1969. Who knew the Canuck's could be such hard asses? Just nostalgia now, apparently.
Just saw Part 2, Public Enemy No. 1, and I think I like it a little better than Part 1 (the second half has none of the tiresome coming-of-age stuff, and it features Mesrine's most daring prison break). I was interested to see how they would begin Part 2: in Part 1 they began with a Lean-like Last Day of Life intro before flashing back; here they began with the Last Day of Life sequel (the aftermath) before flashing back. Interesting.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:29:51 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9039 on: April 01, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »

Worst of both worlds: obvious song selections, NOT performed by the original artists.

In fairness it would be hard to get an original recording of Wagner.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »

I was talking specifically about Sucker Punch there.

In the case of Watchmen Snyder pretty much did go with original artists, just used their songs really badly. There were the examples you mentioned, but also "The Times They Are a-Changin'" during the credit sequence (which introduces the parallel reality in which the film is set--geddit? Changin' Times? yuck, yuck), and, most annoyingly of all, "Everybody Wants To Rule the World," which played quietly under one of Adrian's mono-maniacal monologues. Absolutely the worst way to use music.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9041 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »

Pretty much, yeah. I like most of those songs but couldn't Snyder think of a more interesting way to use them?

Then again, the songs used in a less obvious context didn't work either.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:40:11 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9042 on: April 02, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »

TCM was/is having a Tom Courtenay marathon this evening, so I took a gander at:

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - 8/10 - The grittiest of "kitchen sink" dramas, with lots of biting social commentary, creatively grim photography and one heck of a downer ending (or is it?). Courtenay is stellar, the rest of the cast pretty forgettable.

Billy Liar - 8/10 - Not as funny as it's perhaps trying to be, with some rather awkward pre-Richard Lester fantasy sequences, but the serious bits work just fine. Courtenay's character should be some mixture of annoying and flaky but he's never less than likeable, and it's certainly a relatable story (to me anyway). I enjoy Julie Christie here more than anything else I've seen her in, both looks and performance-wise. Good bits for Finlay Currie and Leonard Rossiter too.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »

Good bits for Finlay Currie and Leonard Rossiter too.
Absolutely. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9044 on: April 03, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

Oh! What a Lovely War - 7/10 - Dickie Attenborough's directorial debut mixes vicious anti-war satire with musical comedy and the result is a rather bizarre film. Some bits work, some don't, but it's hard to argue it isn't strangely compelling. A veritable galaxy of British stars helps. A very interesting experiment, if not an entirely successful one.

Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM