Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:57:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769866 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9060 on: April 11, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »

Caesar and Cleopatra - 5/10 - Gabriel Pascal, what happened? You did the excellent Pygmalion but this and Major Barbara stink. This film's in Technicolor which only makes it look cheap: Pascal isn't the Archers, the sets are just plain phony and even the periodic crowd scenes don't alleviate the staginess. Sure, it's fun watching Claude Rains and Vivien Leigh chew the artificial scenery for awhile but there's not much else of interest here. I'll grant I didn't like the Alec Guinness/Genevieve Bujold version either, so maybe the play's the problem.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

I, The Jury (1982) I like this slightly over the top interpretation of Mike Hammer, especially after viewing all the previous watered down versions 8.5/10 (see review under appropriate threads)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:26:58 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tintin
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: April 14, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »

The chase scene in Bullit was too unrealistic..a stock mustang outrunning a Dodge Charger.  The Mustang would definitely out-handle it, yes.  Then, the stereotypical explosion of the Charger...most times, cars Don't explode--it was obviously touched-off by special effects.

Last  Movie: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.  Ok   Roll Eyes--very few sequels even Approach the original.

TTLUTS--probably Disney's best movie-! Great Sunday afternoon Faire. (But, were were right up to the screen--submarine looked Wierd  going by-!:Smiley)  . bit better if he left out "cutesy" scenes, like the seal and  some musical "trill" any time someone/something just Budges...clams snapping  to music, etc. Afro Afro

Hi Plains Drifter--what a Switch for Eastwood!  Continued in Pale Rider--very Biblical connotations. Eastwood is cast as a Gideon or a Grim Reaper. We discussed HPD in high school philosophy class--he was like a Christ who had returned from 3 days--but,  to thank  and protect the downtrodden who had been loyal ( the midget and the obvious Mary Magdalene character) ; and to avenge himself on those who turned away. I , again, dig Eastwood's historical accuracy in Pale Rider, possibly he carried it over from Leone's influence: the percussion Remington  revolvers, the accurate sluice boxes,  first use of dynamite, etc--obviously 1867 or so. Afro

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:12:59 AM by tintin » Logged

"Government is like a big baby with an unfillable mouth at one end and a total lack of responsibility at the other"-Ronald Reagan
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9063 on: April 14, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »

I got through about 3/4's of Junior Bonner before my laptop overheated. Maybe I'll check it out the rest tomorrow.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »

The Princess of Montpensier (2010) - 9/10: Beautiful photography, impressive hats and gowns, the stunning Mélanie Thierry in the title role. And for a literary adaptation, this is a film with hella pace (the opening scene has galloping horses, and they pretty much set the tempo for all that follows). The real star of the film is Madame de Lafayette's original story, and it's to director Tavernier's credit that he mostly keeps out of the way while it unfolds. Man, could that broad craft a plot. She's one of the people I'm hoping to meet in the next life (hmm, maybe I should be working on my French). In the meantime, I'm firing up the Kindle and downloading The Princess of Cleves (not a sequel). Can't get enough of 16th Century France.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9065 on: April 15, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

Junior Bonner - 7/10 - Decent enough slice-of-life drama. If it weren't a Peckinpah film I doubt anyone would give a hoot about it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: April 15, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »

The Stranglers of Bombay (1959) A great title for a minor Fisher effort. It has a couple of terrifiying moments but I can't see any political incorrectedness to make it more interesting. But at Imdb some say there is, so I have to believe it. 5\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: April 15, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »

La Bęte Humaine (1938) Renoir, great railroad footage, good story, what's not to like? 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: April 15, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »

La Bęte Humaine (1938) Renoir, great railroad footage, good story, what's not to like? 10/10
titoli has some kind of objection. But I'm with you.

Atlas Shrugged, Part 1 (2011) - 5/10. A woman watches a TV news report. Then she takes the subway to her Manhattan office. She talks to some people in her office. Meanwhile, in a different office in a different building, a man is talking to his secretary. Later, the woman in Manhattan visits this man in his office. The woman leaves and the man walks home. A group of people are waiting at the man's home. They talk amongst themselves and then individually with the man. Next day the man is back in his office. The woman is also back in her office. Sometimes the woman has a meeting. Sometime she watches TV. The man also has meetings. Later there is a party, and people have drinks. The man and the woman speak to each other. Another day and the man and the woman have dinner. Then the woman leaves to have dinner with someone else. Another time the woman is having a conversation in a limo. Then there are more days, more office visits, more meetings. Then the man and woman go to Colorado to watch train tracks being laid. Then the man and woman ride on the train. They ride and ride. Then they go to a party. After the party they have sex, the PG kind. Then they start driving around America. Then they go to an old warehouse. Then they drive some more. They stop several times to talk with people. Then the man and woman, for a brief time, go their separate ways. Then the woman sees a fire on the TV news. She drives to the scene of the fire. The fire is still burning when she gets there--it's a really big fire. The End.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: April 15, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »

I'll Shrug too....

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9070 on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »

Atlas Shrugged, Part 1 (2011) - 5/10. A woman watches a TV news report. Then she takes the subway to her Manhattan office. She talks to some people in her office. Meanwhile, in a different office in a different building, a man is talking to his secretary. Later, the woman in Manhattan visits this man in his office. The woman leaves and the man walks home. A group of people are waiting at the man's home. They talk amongst themselves and then individually with the man. Next day the man is back in his office. The woman is also back in her office. Sometimes the woman has a meeting. Sometime she watches TV. The man also has meetings. Later there is a party, and people have drinks. The man and the woman speak to each other. Another day and the man and the woman have dinner. Then the woman leaves to have dinner with someone else. Another time the woman is having a conversation in a limo. Then there are more days, more office visits, more meetings. Then the man and woman go to Colorado to watch train tracks being laid. Then the man and woman ride on the train. They ride and ride. Then they go to a party. After the party they have sex, the PG kind. Then they start driving around America. Then they go to an old warehouse. Then they drive some more. They stop several times to talk with people. Then the man and woman, for a brief time, go their separate ways. Then the woman sees a fire on the TV news. She drives to the scene of the fire. The fire is still burning when she gets there--it's a really big fire. The End.

Grin Grin Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9071 on: April 15, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »

Romeo + Juliet - 0/10 - I made it through eighteen minutes before screaming in unholy terror and throwing my laptop across the room. Looks like they gave an ADHD-ridden sixth grader a $50 million (?) budget for an English class project.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: April 16, 2011, 08:40:12 AM »

Romeo + Juliet - 0/10 - Looks like they gave an ADHD-ridden sixth grader a $50 million (?) budget for an English class project.
Got it in one.  Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9073 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »

The Terminator - 7/10 - 3rd viewing. Despite looking cheap as hell it's got great action scenes and a really creepy nightmare atmosphere for the first hour. After the shootout at the police station I start to lose interest.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: April 17, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »

The Adventures of Baron Münchhausen (1943)  Movie Magic. This is a feast for the eye, with great colours, great sets, great costumes. I give it only a 8\10 because I would like to compare it with the Zeman's version which I saw a couple of times in the '70's. I didn't have the courage to buy the Gilliam's version.

Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM