Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:03:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769005 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9195 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

Enemy at the Gates (2001) I wonder why a war thriller like this must be more than 2h long when 80 min. would be more than sufficient. Yes, you have to put in the love story, slowing down the narrative, and some other forgettable scenes. So you fail having a taut plot with suspense. I give it 6\10 when it could easily have been 8\10.  

The opening scene is great, and there are fun supporting turns by Bob Hoskins and Ron Perlman. Everything else has filtered out of my mind.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: May 23, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

Pale Flower (1964) - 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. A Yakuza film with a difference, and that difference is the sound design of Toru Takemitsu. Apparently, Takemitsu didn't merely supply the music, he actually edited and manipulated the found sound (such as the hanafuda tiles clicking together) and decided where the silences should go. As such he should be considered a co-auteur (with director Masahiro Shinoda), as should certain other composers/sound designers on selected films: Bernard Herrmann on Vertigo and The Birds, say, and of course Morricone on all his Leones.

The Hustler (1961) - 9/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The 3 act structure is a little too obvious and kills some of the authenticity that the photography and the naturalistic acting achieve. Sure, after losing to Fats due to a lack of "character," it is necessary for Fast Eddie to acquire that character in Act 2 so he can come roaring back for the win at the close. But is the woman played by Piper Laurie entirely credible? Great performance, it's just I have a hard time swallowing the part as written. Worse is the ending: after demonstrating that the George Scott character has no shame, Fast Eddie is able to walk away clean by shaming the Scott character! Huh? Still, next to Hud, this is Newman's greatest performance, and all the supporting players are operating at his level. The jazz score is great too.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: May 24, 2011, 04:53:51 AM »

The Crimes of the Black Cat (1972) One of the best gialli I saw. Good pace, well thought up gimmick of the murdering cat, good back-side shot of Koscina (with a good plot connection (!). Steffen is at ease playing a blind man. 8\10   

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9198 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:52 AM »

2001 (and maybe also Tree of Life) may be a bore to some or even to many, but others (like me) are totally fascinated by it.

I was too young when I saw it first, but I was overwhelmed a few years later. Same happened to me with OuTW.

Noodles what do you think about Enter the Void?

Yep they are facintating to me too, but I'd rather spend 2-3 hours talking about 2001 than watching it Wink

Have you seen Enter The Void? It's way more flawed and empty than The Tree Of Life, but also far more audacious. Let's say it's a movie written and shot by a genius teenager: the guy has nothing to say (I mean nothing else than "I like having sex & drug anywhere with anyone") and thinks that an intra vagina shot where you see the penis of the man coming toward the camera is ultra cool while it's just ridiculous. However, it's an amazing spectacle, you have big pace changes (you spend 15minutes of real time (subjective shot) on nothing and then get 10 minutes to tell you 19 years in details). There are beautiful moments (the greatest one, to me, being the birth of a child seen through the eyes of the baby), ridiculous ones, and everything in between. it has to be seen alone, if you ask me. A friend of mine also saw it (really) drunk, he says it works better Cheesy

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »

The Omega Man (1971) I remembered the most famous scene: Heston watching and commenting on Woodstock. It has a good pace, though some of the dialogues with Zerbe I'd gladly do without. The OST is disconnected with the images. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9200 on: May 24, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »

The King's Speech - 7-8/10 - 2nd viewing. I liked it more than I remembered.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9201 on: May 25, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »

The King's Speech - 7-8/10 - 2nd viewing. I liked it more than I remembered.

Oh it's very well done. The only problem is that the topic they chose is uninteresting (had they talked about the role of the king, they would have deserved the Oscar).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: May 25, 2011, 01:14:08 AM »

The Last Man on Earth (1964) This has the advantage  of having Price and Rome, over Heston and Los Angeles, being more faithful to the Matheson's original. The b&w suits the story better (an anticipation of Romero's debut) and all in all it's worth a solid 8\10.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: May 25, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »

Some Like it Hot (1959) - 5/10. First Blu-ray viewing. I was anxious to see this on Blu when I heard how good the transfer was supposed to be, and true, for a b&w film, this delivers a reference quality image. Too bad the film itself isn't all that great. The gags come fast and furious, but none of them come anywhere near to knee-slappingly funny (my favorite, though: "Where wuz you guys?" / "With you at Rigoletto's!"). And would somebody explain to me why cross dressing is supposed to be such a scream?

Anton Chekhov's The Duel (2010) - 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. An amazing literary adaptation, with an excellent and largely unknown British cast, shot entirely on location in Croatia. The locations are fresh and beautifully photographed, usually during magic hour (demonstrating that Malick isn't the only one leaning heavily on this trick). If the film has any weakness it is the score, which never rises above Adequate. The Blu-ray provides the equal of the cinematic experience.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: May 25, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

Some Like it Hot (1959) - 5/10. First Blu-ray viewing. I was anxious to see this on Blu when I heard how good the transfer was supposed to be, and true, for a b&w film, this delivers a reference quality image. Too bad the film itself isn't all that great. The gags come fast and furious, but none of them come anywhere near to knee-slappingly funny (my favorite, though: "Where wuz you guys?" / "With you at Rigoletto's!"). And would somebody explain to me why cross dressing is supposed to be such a scream?

I'd think the thing to do with this is zoom in on Marilyn's last dress it looks like its painted on, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: May 25, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

I know what you mean. I don't remember ever seeing a dress that actually wobbled before. Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9206 on: May 25, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »

Some Like it Hot is probably my favorite Wilder comedy, but I'll admit I think the gangster plot is badly handled.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9207 on: May 25, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »

The Culpepper Cattle Company - 7/10 - Fairly typical '70s revisionist Western. Heavy on the dirt, "realism" and violence, light on plot, but not bad. Excellent supporting cast.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9208 on: May 26, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »

The Raid - 8/10 - Van Heflin leads a band of Confederate soldiers into St. Albans, Vermont, to rob the bank and spread a little terror through the Union. Very interesting film, loosely based on a real incident, with a cast that includes Anne Bancroft, Richard Boone, Lee Marvin and Peter Graves. Gorgeous photography too.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

The Raid - 8/10 - Van Heflin leads a band of Confederate soldiers into St. Albans, Vermont, to rob the bank and spread a little terror through the Union. Very interesting film, loosely based on a real incident, with a cast that includes Anne Bancroft, Richard Boone, Lee Marvin and Peter Graves. Gorgeous photography too.

just saw this a few days ago on TCM. real good movie. the only part I didn't like was that the raid seemed too matter-of-fact; there wasn't that sort of intensity you'd expect from the soldiers; they almost seemed as calm as Sunday brunch. and also, the little kid alerting the cavalry? come on. but overall I really liked the movie and I pretty much agree with your rating

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:12:00 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM