Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 08:44:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762771 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9210 on: May 27, 2011, 07:11:29 AM »

It was on TCM too? I got it off of Fox Movie Channel.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9211 on: May 27, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus - 1/10 - A pretty big let-down. The shark and octopus only fought for about ninety seconds.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »

It was on TCM too? I got it off of Fox Movie Channel.

yeah it coulda been FMC; I don't remember for certain. come to think of it, the picture quality was pretty bad, so good chance it was indeed FMC; they are still not in HD (shouldn't there be a thumbs-down?)...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9213 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »

Tangled - 7/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: May 28, 2011, 02:02:17 AM »

Hanna - Joe Wright

Wow, a mesmerizing masterpiece 10/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: May 28, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »

Old Guard (1934) The movies made during fascism and nazism with an overtly propagandisting content can be counted on half a hand's fingers. This is probably the only one made in Italy about fascism (probably the only one after the introduction of sound) and it is astonishingly good in spite of the subject of course thanx to the director (Visconti's fans can watch him in Bellissima playing the director). It has a nervous rhythm, it concentrates more on the characters than their policies and, in spite of some blatant lies, it is entertaining. 7\10 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9216 on: May 28, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »

Tora! Tora! Tora! - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. I liked this more than I remembered doing, but it's still very dry and talky for most of its length. The film's balance is admirable, even if it makes the Japanese look better (save Tojo) than the Americans. On the other hand, the battle scenes at the end are amazing.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: May 28, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »

I found Tora dull and dry as toast, but it's been ages since I've seen it.

Well, apparently you must be following my reviews and revising your recollections of judgements.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9218 on: May 28, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »

Nah, AMC had it on for their Memorial Day marathon.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: May 28, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »

A River Runs Through It (1992) 10/10

One of my favorite all-time movies. I must have seen it 20 times, but I don't believe I have written about it on this thread, so I finally decided to write about it.

CAST (courtesy of imdb)

Craig Sheffer    ...   Norman Maclean
    Brad Pitt    ...   Paul Maclean
    Tom Skerritt    ...   Rev. Maclean
    Brenda Blethyn    ...   Mrs. Maclean
    Emily Lloyd    ...   Jessie Burns

Notice that Brad Pitt received second-billing.
Tom Skerritt is so friggin' spectacular as Rev. Maclean, I don't know how he didn't even get an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor.

The film, directed and narrated by Robert Redford, is based on the semi-autobiographical novella of the same name by Norman Maclean. The story is about Norman and his brother Paul growing up in rural Montana during the early part of the 20th century, under the watchful eye of their father, a Presbyterian minister. The men of the family share a love of fly fishing, which sort of becomes a metaphor for the lessons of life.

The movie won an Oscar for Best Cinematography, and was nominated for two additional Oscars: Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score. The score by Mark Isham is absolutely amazing; I listen to it on my iPod all the time. The scenery of rural Montana is stunning. And the narration by Redford, who has an incredible voice, adds so much to the film as well.

So... if you haven't seen this film yet (or even if you have!) watching it should be the next thing you do, after breathing  Afro Afro

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:57:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »

The Panic in Needle Park (1971) Pacino's debut, I had missed it for many years, something not to regret. The stories, quite unoriginal, of a couple of junkie lovers. The main problem lies with the actors: they both look quite healthy, especially Pacino (in his maybe worst performance) and no element in their playing does anything to persuade you that, up to that moment, they had ingested anything worser than light coke. I haven't seen many movies about junkies, but even rather corny ones like Hatful of Rain, Man with a Golden Arm or Trash manage to convey some of the drama of being addicted which here is totally absent. In the credits we are guaranteed that the movie was entirely shot in NYC, but Cigar Joe can save the effort as little is seen of the town. 5\10

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:09 AM »

DJANGO(1966) on the big screen at Covent Garden Odean.

10/10  Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: May 29, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

One Down Two to Go (1982) Why did I spend 1 euro for this piece of crap? Probably only because of the actors. And even because I hoped to see an over the top product. But this puts you to sleep except for some Brown's delivery. The first minutes, with real scenes from martial arts exhibitions at the Garden are good. Lots of pretty girls but none undressed (so it becomes a minus). A good disco score (courtesy of Stanley Clarke). 3\10

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:50:56 PM by titoli » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: May 29, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »

Hanna - Joe Wright

A few more words about it:

This is an amazing film.
One of the best action movies of the last 10 years, and one with a very intelligent concept of filming the action, and having the action ruffianly pushed through by the brutish electro-rock score of The Chemical Brothers as part of a thoughtful narrative structure combining realism with the innocent charm of a fairy tale to tell a clever story with interesting characters.
And Saoirse Ronan is fantastic in the lead and makes the great-as-always Cate Blanchet and Eric Bana look comparatively pale.
Mesmerizing  10/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EkX9GvwkRo

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: May 29, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »

I saw HANNA as well recently and it was better than most of the other crap i'm regulary catching at Cineworld.I give it 8 out of 10.

Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM