Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:19:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840874 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9225 on: May 30, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »

They Were Expendable - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

The Story of G.I. Joe - 7/10 - Plays like a rough draft of Wellman's later (and far superior) Battleground. Some nice scenes throughout, but there's a surfeit of cliches and groan-inducing silliness (the dog, the impromptu marriage, the Sergeant smooching an Italian girl in the midst of a firefight). Robert Mitchum is great but nominal star Burgess Meredith is barely in the film. 

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »

IMO one of the dumbest things to do is for one to feel the need to finish watching a terrible movie just because one has started it. (This post is not directed at anyone specifically. I am just bored and in the mood to share that, cuz I just read an interview with a famous, great economist, avid reader and movie buff, and cultural dude named Tyler Cowen, who espouses this philosophy of abandoning bad books and movies once u c they are bad; cuz) I see so many movies on this thread that are given like a 3 rating; if I was watching a movie that bad I'd stop halfway through or earlier. I am careful to balance the need to let a story develop, and the moment when you realize the film is going nowhere and a waste of time. But once you have reached that moment, "CUT!"

there are only two kinds of movies I will ever force myself to finish though i find them excruciating: 1) a movie that is real famous and lots of friends highly recommend it (not so much cuz there is a chance it'll turn around, but more cuz you have to finish it to be able to properly criticize it to your idiot friends); and 2) if I am watching one of those real short early films (eg. some RKO Radio Pictures Westerns of the 30's are like 55 - 80 minutes, so by the time I realize the film is terrible, it's almost done)

that'll conclude my misplaced philosophy post on a Monday morning. Happy Memorial Day to y'all, and God bless all those who gave their lives defending liberty. In eternal gratitude

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:46:44 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: May 30, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »

I agree by and large with what you write, but I always adopted another tactics, to sift the movies to watch before starting the vision. And pick up only those which have some reason to be watched even if they are really bad.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: May 30, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »

I agree by and large with what you write, but I always adopted another tactics, to sift the movies to watch before starting the vision. And pick up only those which have some reason to be watched even if they are really bad.

I agree; I try to only watch films that I have specifially heard are good: either cuz they are supposed to be famously good; or cuz they are highly recomended (eg. from a friend, from these boards, from a critic I respect...), or which has an actor I love. I HATE bad movies. Movies are like a holy experience for me: great movies are amazing, and bad movies are like defiling the holy  Wink) The only films which I'll often watch without knowing anything about are Westerns  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: May 30, 2011, 01:16:02 PM »

I, Robot (2004) Entertaining you-saw-it-all piece of Hollywood crap. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9230 on: May 30, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »

Nah, I'm quite happy to sit through a bad film just so I can say I've seen it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: May 30, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »

Nah, I'm quite happy to sit through a bad film just so I can say I've seen it.

with all the billions of movies you complete on a weekly basis, I don't doubt that for a moment... so you are (at least as) enthralled with the idea of cinema as you are with cinema itself  Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »

The Maltese Falcon (1931)  This should be seen back to back with the real one just to make young viewers understand the difference between a routine movie and a classic. This isn't a bad movie at all, it has the final scene glued by the screenplayers to the original story which makes it a curiousity anyway, but you just can't help compare it shot by shot with the real thing on all levels. The Spade of Cortez laughs or smile too much but gives an interesting version of the character (of course, keeping in mind that Bogart's is the definitive one). 6\10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: May 31, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »

Satan Met a Lady (1936) This is halfway between a spoof and a spinoff, they tried to make a Nick and Nora version out of their property of Maltese Falcon. They could have succeeded with a better lead, I don't like Warren William he's too prepossessing without being particularly funny. Maybe with William Powell this could have been a classic. 7\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: May 31, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »

so you are (at least as) enthralled with the idea of cinema as you are with cinema itself  Wink
Groggy is enthralled with the idea of his own voice. Any occasion that prompts him to speak/write is sufficient to the purpose.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9235 on: May 31, 2011, 11:16:30 AM »

If that were true I'd review every movie I watch.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: May 31, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »

If that were true I'd review every movie I watch.

You don't do so already?! Are you saying you watch more than the, what, 3 movies a day you currently review?  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: June 01, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »

Get Shorty (1995) - 7/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The slightest of the unofficial "Elmore Leonard Trilogy" (which includes Jackie Brown and Out of Sight) is mildly amusing, and I enjoy seeing Travolta and Hackman in comic roles. The 1080p transfer looks very nice, although I found myself questioning skin tones in certain scenes. The disc comes with several extras, including the deleted Graveyard scene (which everyone agrees was the best scene in the movie).

A Man Called Horse (1970) - 6/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Richard Harris (Return of A Man Called Horse) plays an English artistocrat captured by a Sioux tribe. Despised at first and treated as a beast-of-burden, Mr. Horse eventually wins the respect of the tribe, becomes accepted as a warrior, and marries the chief's sister. The anthropological aspects of Sioux culture herein displayed are interesting, and there is a certain amount of fun watcing Harris rise in status, but after the (heh) gripping Sun Vow ritual (the centerpiece of the film) the film devolves into tedium. Sub-plots, like the one involving the chief's wife and another brave, go nowhere. The ending trades pathos for bathos. The disc sports an image that is intermitently beautiful, but at times washed-out (some of the second unit stuff--or is it file footage?--doesn't make the grade. I'm sure the problem is with the original elements).

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - 11/10. First Blu-ray viewing; first viewing of the Scorsese cut. It turns out that if you blink several times in the first 13 minutes, you miss all the added footage. Still a great film, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9238 on: June 01, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »

The Desert Fox - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. I would like this movie a lot more if it focused on Rommel's military leadership and not his apocryphal role in the Stauffenberg plot. Still very good, and one of Mason's best performances.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:06:29 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: June 01, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

The Desert Fox - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. I would like this movie a lot more if it focused on Rommel's military leadership and not his apocryphal role in the Stauffenberg plot. Still very good, and one of Mason's best performances.

I saw that this was playing but specifically did not watch it. I have no idea how Rommel was portrayed in the film, but my guess is that any movie that is supposed to be a biography will portray its subject in at least a somewhat sympathetic light. I hope I am wrong about this movie. But I did not bother to watch it because I have no intention of ever watching a movie that portrays a Nazi in any manner other than with absolute contempt. There is zero distinction between those who were fighting the "war" against the USA/USSR and those who were involved in the extermination of Jews and other civilians directly. They were all Nazis, fighting and enabling the same "cause"; (besides, soldiers and civilians are all human beings). Rommel is no better than Hitler, Eichmann, and Mengele. Again, I did not watch the film, and I hope my assumption about Rommel's portrayal was wrong.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:30:37 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM