Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:30:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768364 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9240 on: June 01, 2011, 05:49:33 PM »

You mean the Rommel who protested the treatment of Jews and refused to follow Hitler's Commando Order was no better than Himmler? If you can show me an atrocity commited by the Afrika Korps you might have a case.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9241 on: June 01, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

You don't do so already?! Are you saying you watch more than the, what, 3 movies a day you currently review?  Wink

You have an odd definition of review.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: June 01, 2011, 06:44:29 PM »

I saw that this was playing but specifically did not watch it. I have no idea how Rommel was portrayed in the film, but my guess is that any movie that is supposed to be a biography will portray its subject in at least a somewhat sympathetic light. I hope I am wrong about this movie. But I did not bother to watch it because I have no intention of ever watching a movie that portrays a Nazi in any manner other than with absolute contempt. There is zero distinction between those who were fighting the "war" against the USA/USSR and those who were involved in the extermination of Jews and other civilians directly. They were all Nazis, fighting and enabling the same "cause"; (besides, soldiers and civilians are all human beings). Rommel is no better than Hitler, Eichmann, and Mengele. Again, I did not watch the film, and I hope my assumption about Rommel's portrayal was wrong.

You're right, do not bother to watch and read, anything. It would be a waste of time.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

You mean the Rommel who protested the treatment of Jews and refused to follow Hitler's Commando Order was no better than Himmler? If you can show me an atrocity commited by the Afrika Korps you might have a case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1097643/The-real-Rommel-Enduring-myth-decent-Nazi-debunked.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,484510,00.html

The above links are from British and German newspapers, respectively. I am certainly not saying I know the answer for sure; I am no historian. Just sayin the heavy presumption has to be against the notion that the man who was perhaps the top general of the Third Reich did not support its atrocities

and btw, even aside from the extermination of civilians: I don't make a distinction between killing innocent "civilians" and innocent soldiers. Anyone who wages war despite zero threat to his country's existence, but rather for the sole purpose of acquiring countries and creating a world empire, I view him as murdering the soldiers. What moral right did he have to wage war? His country faced no threat before it began hostilities. I don't view that as any different than a general who arranged, say, Pearl Harbor.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:56:31 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: June 01, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »

You're right, do not bother to watch and read, anything. It would be a waste of time.

Not "anything," just movie bios. How frequently has any movie bio ever been accurate?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: June 02, 2011, 04:57:31 AM »

I don't view that as any different than a general who arranged, say, Pearl Harbor.

Your not saying you are against sneak attacks are you?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: June 02, 2011, 05:39:27 AM »

Your not saying you are against sneak attacks are you?

against any unjustified attack. justified = necessary to protect oneself from an aggressor
the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was unjustified; it was murder, plain and simple. eg. the Allied invasion of Normandy was certainly justified   Smiley

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:40:55 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: June 02, 2011, 06:38:10 AM »

Yeah, and I don't remember ever hearing that Himmler, Eichmann, et al were involved in the Hitler assassination plot.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:33 AM »

many Nazis and former hitler allies were part of one (or more) of the dozens of documented subsequent assassination plots against hitler.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9249 on: June 02, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »

many Nazis and former hitler allies were part of one (or more) of the dozens of documented subsequent assassination plots against hitler.

Are we really still advancing the "all Germans were Nazis" cliche?

As for the articles you linked, I'm not sold. An SS unit was created under Rommel's nose that was never actually operational. Obviously that means he was another Heydrich.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9250 on: June 02, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »

Sahara - 9/10 - Basically The Lost Patrol if it had a compelling plot, interesting characters and good acting. That means it's a good movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »

Are we really still advancing the "all Germans were Nazis" cliche?

As for the articles you linked, I'm not sold. An SS unit was created under Rommel's nose that was never actually operational. Obviously that means he was another Heydrich.

The discussion here was RE: Rommel, not all Germans.

However, once you bring that issue up, I will respond: of course, you can never say that literally all Germans were Nazis; but for the most part, there was enthusiastic support throughout Germany for Hitler. The Third Reich was very different than typical dictatorships, in which a brutal ruler and his minority group terrorize the majority that opposes him; in Germany in the 30's and 40's, Hitler for the most part had enthusiastic support of the German population. Sure, there were instances of individuals who heroically opposed him at great risk (see eg. this recent article about an Austrian woman who risked her life to save Jews http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391843/I-The-surviving-righteous-gentile-saved-Jews-Nazi-Austria.html ) but sadly, those were few and far between  Cry

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:03:50 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9252 on: June 02, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »

Then what's this about?

Most of the Resistance to Hitler were either military officers or political conservatives. There were a few outliers like Goerdler (a social democrat) and Boenhoeffer (Protestant evangelical). But they weren't Nazis.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:46:29 AM by Groggy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: June 02, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

Portrait of Jennie (1948) One of those amour fou movies which very well earned kudos from people like Flaiano and Bunuel. I give it 8\10 because this is not the kind of movie I like anyway, but I can't but admire the performances and the visual qualities (the final storm is a masterpiece but even the night images of NYC in winter are remarkable).   

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9254 on: June 02, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »

All Quiet on the Western Front - 8/10 - One of the few anti-war movies that gets it right.

Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM