Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:52:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768527 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9255 on: June 02, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »

Then what's this about?

the fact that Rommel was in on one of the plots to kill Hitler in no way proves that he didn't support the Holocaust

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9256 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »

the fact that Rommel was in on one of the plots to kill Hitler in no way proves that he didn't support the Holocaust

Burden of proof is on you sir.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9257 on: June 03, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »

Royal Flash - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. This time my main thought was: Why didn't they cast Alan Bates as Flashman instead of one of the bad guys?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: June 05, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »

Barry Lyndon (1975) - 9/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Wow! You will believe that a painting can move. In fact, since paintings don't talk, I find that by turning the sound off I don't have to listen to Ryan O'Neal's "performance" and can enjoy the pictures even more. And what pictures! WB has really produced the goods this time.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9259 on: June 05, 2011, 08:11:48 AM »

But then you're missing the music score, which by the International Jenkins Rating System should bump the score down at least four points.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: June 05, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »

I've memorized the score, it rolls along in my head as I watch.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9261 on: June 06, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »

The Three Musketeers (1973) - 8/10 - Really great matinee fun. Lots of bawdy humor, fun fight scenes and an excellent cast: hard to find fault with it, even if the plot is rather slight.

The Four Musketeers - 9/10 - Bigger than the original (I understand it was conceived as a three-hour epic?), with a more serious tone, more complex plot, more well-drawn characters, and a much bigger scope. The slapstick's toned down a bit in favor of acerbic wit: George Macdonald Fraser's handprints are all over this script. Oliver Reed and Faye Dunaway steal the show but everyone's in top form.

I understand there's a new Musketeer film coming out soon, by the director of Resident Evil and in "eye-popping" 3D. Be still, my beating heart.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9262 on: June 09, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »

Eight Men Out - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. The best baseball film ever? I can't think of a better one.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9263 on: June 10, 2011, 03:16:25 AM »

I understand there's a new Musketeer film coming out soon, by the director of Resident Evil and in "eye-popping" 3D. Be still, my beating heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQd3MwT2fAM
Not quite sure your heart will still beat after that.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9264 on: June 10, 2011, 06:29:20 AM »

Yeah I saw the trailer at Pirates of the Caribbean. Made me want to puke.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: June 10, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »

The Laughing Policeman (1973)

Hopefully without sounding patronizing, I'd really love to hear why titoli thinks so highly of this movie.

There were subplots (Matthau's family troubles) and even characters (Gossett Jr's role) that are completely dismissed and ignored. At times, you even forget about Matthau's lead character, which is quite an accomplishment. The story doesn't amount to much, especially in its solution and there are way too many pointless interrogation sequences that don't say anything about the characters and/or plot. The characters are paper thin, it takes quite a lot to make Matthau seem uninteresting, but this movie somehow accomplishes that.

San Fransisco has never looked blander and I couldn't even tell you what the score sounded like.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:22:26 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: June 10, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »

Super 8 (2011) - 3/10. IMAX viewing. I realize it's intended for kids, but this is an awful, awful film. It starts out as The Goonies meets Cloverfield, then morphs into ET/Star Man. There are occasional stabs at humor, but most of the gags are basically about making fun of the 70s (the film is set in 1979). Are today's kids gonna pick up on those digs? Impressive set design is undercut by anachronistic language and what-have-you. Hmm, was bad CGI really available in 1979? And as far as I can remember, the late 70s were entirely free of lens flares (Why does J.J. Abrams imagine that bands of blue light cutting across his images make for an arty signature?) The film does offer one bit of actual entertainment: throughout the story the child heroes are trying to make a zombie film on Super 8 (hence the title). Even as they are discovering the main plot of the film, their project continues in the background. We see several scenes of this film being shot. After the film proper, during the credit roll, the completed zombie film is shown, and it's quite amusing. If Ed Wood had started making films when he was 12, this is what he might have come up with. So the 3 points I'm awarding the movie are really for the film-within-the-film (which is called "The Case").

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:45:36 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: June 10, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »

The Laughing Policeman (1973)

Hopefully without sounding patronizing, I'd really love to hear why titoli thinks so highly of this movie.

I'd really love to hear about it too, as I saw the movie some 30 years ago. Probably it was just because of Matthau. Or maybe because this is the best book of the Martin Beck series (I read the whole ten of it). I'll try to catch a dvd.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »

I didn't mean to put you on the spot, I was just curious to hear your thoughts.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »

I didn't feel like I was put on the spot. It's just that I saw it so many years ago, on tv, dubbed. So I could even change my mind about it.

Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM