Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:58:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834635 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9270 on: June 10, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »

The Laughing Policeman (1973)

Hopefully without sounding patronizing, I'd really love to hear why titoli thinks so highly of this movie.

There were subplots (Matthau's family troubles) and even characters (Gossett Jr's role) that are completely dismissed and ignored. At times, you even forget about Matthau's lead character, which is quite an accomplishment. The story doesn't amount to much, especially in its solution and there are way too many pointless interrogation sequences that don't say anything about the characters and/or plot. The characters are paper thin, it takes quite a lot to make Matthau seem uninteresting, but this movie somehow accomplishes that.

San Fransisco has never looked blander and I couldn't even tell you what the score sounded like.

I agree but its been some time since I'd seen it. The book which I think was set in Malmö,  Sweden was much better.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9271 on: June 13, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »

King & Country - 7/10 - A low-budget Brit version of Paths of Glory. It has a few things in its favor: great acting and some neat directoral/editorial flourishes. Plus it clearly inspired the Flanders Pigeon Murderer episode of Blackadder Goes Forth, a huge virtue.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9272 on: June 13, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »

The Caine Mutiny - 9/10 - 3rd viewing. Gets better with each viewing. If it weren't for the cheesy romance and Tom Tully I might consider giving it a 10.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »

I understand the cheesy romance wasn't in the play; it was added to the film to generate female interest.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9274 on: June 15, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »

Well Jenkins, I believe the movie was based on the novel (The Caine Mutiny), not the play (The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial). I haven't read the novel but Wikipedia claims the romance is indeed present. The play (which I have read) is a straight courtroom drama, focused solely on the trial.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9275 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »

Mogambo - 6/10 - A decent adventure film with good actors fighting against poor scenery-matching. It's probably the least Fordian John Ford flick I've seen though.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: June 15, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »

Well Jenkins, I believe the movie was based on the novel (The Caine Mutiny), not the play (The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial). I haven't read the novel but Wikipedia claims the romance is indeed present. The play (which I have read) is a straight courtroom drama, focused solely on the trial.

Robert Altman made a film based on the play, in which things are quite different.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: June 15, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »

Les tontons flinguers (1962)  It takes the Simonin's noir novel as a pretext for some comedy skits and some scene that sometime borders on the animated cartoons, Warner Brothers style. And it works. Thanx to the screenplay, yes, and to the actors, all of them. Actually the only one not fully convincing is Mac Ronay, uncertain whether to play his part seriously or not. But the other ones are huge: one of the best cast ever assembled. I think this movie might have been an inspiration for the Pink Panther series. But it is head and shoulder above those movies because the humour is more varied and subtler. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: June 15, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

A question to the french contributors of the forum: I don't have understood the significance of Meurisse's short appearance: is it supposed to have any particular relevance?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9279 on: June 16, 2011, 06:13:26 AM »

Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus - 1/10 - A masterpiece compared to Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. There's a bit of a cop-out because there were still baby crocs unaccounted for at the end, but what other film has a giant shark that eats a nuclear sub and blows up in a volcano?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9280 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »

Super 8 - 8/10 - It probably helps that I had low expectations but I really enjoyed this film. Derivative? Sure. But very entertaining and creative, and I liked the characters a lot. Extra points for the hilarious end credits.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:47:20 PM by Groggy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »

Ya, as if the end credits of Super 8 are anything new. The "intentionally bad movie" has been done time and time again except a lot funnier and less forcefully cutesy. The movie sucked balls. It's like Stand by Me, District 9, and ET all combined except not as good. Also an absolutely terrible ending. The alien attacks the town, destroys everything, nearly kills several people. Then it steals everyone's valuable metal to shoot back up to space. And we're supposed to care why? Because it gave the protagonist a little remorse by not killing him? Yea, I'm SURE the whole town would sit there in awe and amazement and sympathy while watching a horrid monster shoot back up to space. Makes perfect sense.

Also way too many blatant 70's references. "Mint mint mint mint mint..." SHUT THE FUCK UP. WE GET IT. THERE WAS DIFFERENT SLANG IN THE 70's. You can't expect to crate retro nostalgia.

Real original monster too. An alien. WOW. Good thing it was shrouded in secrecy for years.

Gotta love the parent story lines too.

Fuck that movie. It couldn't even meet my relatively low expectations. I actually agree with DJ with his thoughts on this...but not with The Tree of Life.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9282 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:32 AM »

Who said anything about Super 8 "doing anything new"? The issue is quality not originality.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: June 17, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

Ya, as if the end credits of Super 8 are anything new. The "intentionally bad movie" has been done time and time again except a lot funnier and less forcefully cutesy. The movie sucked balls. It's like Stand by Me, District 9, and ET all combined except not as good. Also an absolutely terrible ending. The alien attacks the town, destroys everything, nearly kills several people. Then it steals everyone's valuable metal to shoot back up to space. And we're supposed to care why? Because it gave the protagonist a little remorse by not killing him? Yea, I'm SURE the whole town would sit there in awe and amazement and sympathy while watching a horrid monster shoot back up to space. Makes perfect sense.
How did you like the bit where the kid has to "let go" of the past? I had to grab my throat to keep from hurling.

Hey, everybody, look, look, DJ and RR agree on something!  Shocked

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: June 18, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »

It doesn't have to be original groggy, but I just didn't think it was all that funny. All I could think of is how much Ed Wood does the 'bad movie' so much better.

And ya that part was so fucking stupid DJ. so forced and cliched. Bad movie.

Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM