Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:15:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766766 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9285 on: June 19, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »

City By the Sea (2002) It seems that De Niro is unable to make tolerable movies, making only simply ugly ones like this, which mixes a bit of thriller with heavy melodrama. De Niro's acting is painful to watch: you see the usual grimaces and gestures coming before he even thinks to bring them into play. But his final plead to his son had me rofl: I'm still uncertain whether he was conscious of what horrible piece of crap he was reciting. 2\10   

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9286 on: June 19, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

True Grit (2010) - 9/10 - 3rd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: June 20, 2011, 12:08:48 AM »

True Grit (2010) - 9/10 - 3rd viewing.

I did not really like the original. Should I watch the re-make nonetheless, or do you think I won't like the re-make if I did not like the original?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:52 AM »

definitely watch the remake.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9289 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »

The remake is leaps and bounds better than the original, in my opinion.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: June 20, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »

is the little girl less annoying?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9291 on: June 20, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »

is the little girl less annoying?

Steinfeld is great. The character isn't much more likeable, but here it by design rather than through a bad performance. Damon is much better than Glenn Campbell, it goes without saying.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: June 20, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

Funnily, I prefer all the actors of 68 to the new ones.
Except maybe Campell, he is not really better than Damon, but I had never any problems with his acting.

Brolin is disappointing, without comparing him to Corey. Wayne is better than Bridges, and Duvall was great.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9293 on: June 20, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »

I like Bridges and Wayne about the same, and their interpretations of the characters are different enough to avoid a direct comparison. Steinfeld and Damon are infinitely better than Darby and Campbell. The rest of the cast is a wash. Brolin's Cheney is more menacing, Corey's more pathetic, depends which angle you find more interesting. Don't have a strong preference between Barry Pepper and Robert Duvall, or Dakin Matthews and Strother Martin for that matter.

On most technical aspects the films are pretty close, just different. I probably like the original's score and cinematography better, but they're less suitable for the more grim tone of the remake. Besides Steinfeld and Damon, the intangibles are what makes the remake better: the tone and atmosphere, the touches of black humor, the more precise and affecting paring-down of the novel. The original is a good vehicle for the Duke. The remake is a great Western. At least, that's how I see it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »

Death Steps in the Dark (1977) A unimaginative giallo, notable only for Webber's presence (playing a greek inspector!) and some Athens backgrounds. Some good female nudes earn him a 3\10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9295 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »

100 Rifles - 2/10 - Absolute garbage. Bad acting, lame action, non-existent story, it's a failure on almost every level. Gets a few points for a decent score and a very hot-to-trot Raquel Welch.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »

I like Bridges and Wayne about the same, and their interpretations of the characters are different enough to avoid a direct comparison. Steinfeld and Damon are infinitely better than Darby and Campbell. The rest of the cast is a wash. Brolin's Cheney is more menacing, Corey's more pathetic, depends which angle you find more interesting. Don't have a strong preference between Barry Pepper and Robert Duvall, or Dakin Matthews and Strother Martin for that matter.

On most technical aspects the films are pretty close, just different. I probably like the original's score and cinematography better, but they're less suitable for the more grim tone of the remake. Besides Steinfeld and Damon, the intangibles are what makes the remake better: the tone and atmosphere, the touches of black humor, the more precise and affecting paring-down of the novel. The original is a good vehicle for the Duke. The remake is a great Western. At least, that's how I see it.
Another way to put it is that the Coens make the material their own. There are moments I found myself saying--yep, this is a Coen Bro's movie. I like both the original and the remake, one is not necessarily better than the other, they're just different.

I think anyone watching the new film at this point should do so on the Blu-ray. There's a bonus 30-minute doc on writer Charles Portis that gives a great overview of his career while highlighting the True Grit novel. It's really well done (despite some near-inarticulate comments from Dwight Yoakam).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9297 on: June 21, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman - 8/10 - Odd romantic fantasy pitched close to surrealism. Lots of interesting imagery and two very attractive stars in Ava Gardner and James Mason. It feels like a Powell and Pressburger flick with supernatural elements (not surprising with Jack Cardiff onboard) and despite lapses in plot logic, and an odd choice of narrator, it's an interesting experience.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:19:19 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9298 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »

Mega Python Vs. Gatoroid - 0/10 - Debbie Gibson and Tiffany having a ten-minute long cat fight? Mickey Dolenz getting scarfed by a python? Mrs. Landingham from The West Wing throwing molotov cocktails at alligators? A snake swallowing a train whole? I think we have a winner. Afro

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: June 22, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »

Mega Python Vs. Gatoroid - 0/10 - Debbie Gibson and Tiffany having a ten-minute long cat fight? Mickey Dolenz getting scarfed by a python? Mrs. Landingham from The West Wing throwing molotov cocktails at alligators? A snake swallowing a train whole? I think we have a winner. Afro

wow

Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM