Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:41:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835217 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9315 on: July 01, 2011, 05:23:41 AM »

The Tall Target(1951) directed by Anthony Mann a very noirish film about an attempt to assassinate President elect Abraham Lincoln on his journey to Washington DC.  The film stars, Dick Powell, Paula Raymond, Adolphe Menjou,    Marshall Thompson, Ruby Dee, Richard Rober, Leif Erickson,  and Will Geer. All the action takes place on the train journey between New York City (probably actually Weehawken NJ) and Washington DC. Dick Powell plays a discredited NYC detective tries in the face of disbelief to foil the assassins, who hate the President's policies. Paula Raymond a Southern Belle ,married to West pointer Marshall Thompson, with Ruby Dee as her maid. Menjou plays a Poughkeepsie militia colonel riding on the train. The film keeps you guessing who is involved with the plot and who is not. This will remind those who are familiar with Film Noir of "The Narrow Margin". This film is very well done and I can't believe it isn't more well known, A gem from Mann 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: July 01, 2011, 06:02:39 AM »

cigar joe: After reading your rating on  The Tall Target above, I looked for the movie on Netflix and iTunes. Neither had it, so on your recommendation, I purchased the dvd from Amazon (for $17.96 including shipping). I did not read your review, cuz I don't like to know ANYTHING about a movie's plot before I watch it. I simply saw that you rated it 10/10 so I bought it without reading any further. You know that's a big responsibility I just placed on your shoulders, cj  Wink I'm always glad to receive movie recommendations, as long as you steer me right  Afro

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:09:58 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: July 03, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »

Fuga in Francia (1948) An unjustly forgotten movie brought again to the scene by a dvd release, it is a strong italian noir set on the mountains bordering Italy and France, with political overtones (actually undertones, and so all the more effective) and interesting plot devices. Folco Lulli delivers a good performance as a fascist "criminal of war"  trying to escape to France (one could wonder why to France: I don't think there was that much love lost toward fascists, war criminals and italians at the time. But maybe Spain was his real goal). The other actors are all amateurs (Germi can be considered such too) but they are tolerable. 7\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »

cigar joe: After reading your rating on  The Tall Target above, I looked for the movie on Netflix and iTunes. Neither had it, so on your recommendation, I purchased the dvd from Amazon (for $17.96 including shipping). I did not read your review, cuz I don't like to know ANYTHING about a movie's plot before I watch it. I simply saw that you rated it 10/10 so I bought it without reading any further. You know that's a big responsibility I just placed on your shoulders, cj  Wink I'm always glad to receive movie recommendations, as long as you steer me right  Afro

Well, understand one thing, I love trains and Noir films, so two of those points (10/10) is for those two facts alone.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tintinteslacoil
« Reply #9319 on: July 05, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

Are you including DVD's?

If so, "True Grit" (new Version.)

More accurate and closer to the book, but, No One can replace The Duke.   Cry It was a bit disappointing.   :' There was a Lot of effort, though, the girl should get a best supporting actress.

Rooster Cogburn had a moustache, like in the book, and carried a '73 Winchester and two Colt 'Navies, like in the book. The end scene where LaBouef (sp?) dies and  Mattie looses her arm, and is telling the story in retrospect after Rooster's death is well portrayed. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9320 on: July 05, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »

The Tall Target - 8/10 - Another excellent historical noir by Anthony Mann. Not as great as Reign of Terror, but a solid, suspenseful, stylish assassination thriller.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: July 06, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »

The Scarlet Coat (1955) - 8/10. Cornel Wilde is an American double agent who insinuates himself among the British to feret out what we now know to be the Benedict Arnold affair. Hollywood rewrites history--and it works really well. The film starts out as a fairly ordinary espionage tale, then turns interesting when Wilde develops a friendship with Maj. Andre (Michael Wilding), Wilde's opposite number on the British side. George Sanders is a co-conspiritor who never believes that Wilde is genuine--he's wonderfully skeptical, droll, and devious. Anne Francis is along for the requisite love interest, but she drops out to allow the male friendship to take center stage. The final scene smacks of "Tis a far, far better thing I do" and the characters are overflowing with fine feelings, but the literate script really sells the idea that personal honor is worth dying for. By all accounts, the historical Maj. Andre was a pretty decent guy who got screwed by circumstances, and the film communicates that as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see how even-handed a U.S. movie could be on the subject.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9322 on: July 07, 2011, 06:49:55 AM »

The Scarlet Coat (1955) - 8/10. Cornel Wilde is an American double agent who insinuates himself among the British to feret out what we now know to be the Benedict Arnold affair. Hollywood rewrites history--and it works really well. The film starts out as a fairly ordinary espionage tale, then turns interesting when Wilde develops a friendship with Maj. Andre (Michael Wilding), Wilde's opposite number on the British side. George Sanders is a co-conspiritor who never believes that Wilde is genuine--he's wonderfully skeptical, droll, and devious. Anne Francis is along for the requisite love interest, but she drops out to allow the male friendship to take center stage. The final scene smacks of "Tis a far, far better thing I do" and the characters are overflowing with fine feelings, but the literate script really sells the idea that personal honor is worth dying for. By all accounts, the historical Maj. Andre was a pretty decent guy who got screwed by circumstances, and the film communicates that as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see how even-handed a U.S. movie could be on the subject.

I agree, it's a really interesting film, though I might not rate it quite so high. With Revolutionary War films so scarce it's practically required viewing. Wilding and Sanders are great, though Wilde didn't impress me. The photography is absolutely ravishing; if ever a classic movie deserved a Blu-Ray release this might be it.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:51:44 AM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9323 on: July 07, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

Big Jim McLain - 5/10 - The Duke and James Arness play HUAC investigators fighting Commies in Hawaii. Not as campy as you might expect: really it's a mediocre police procedural with an ideological edge. It has its moments though: I love when the Duke, following up on a lead in a leper colony, sheepishly admits that "Frankly, leprosy scares me!"

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: July 08, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »

The Destructors/aka The Marseille Contract (1974) - 5/10. Here's the IMDb thumbnail: "When a US intelligence agent (Anthony Quinn) [actually a DEA agent] is unable to bring a ruthless drug baron (James Mason) to justice, he resorts to hiring a contract killer. But the man he is put in contact with (Michael Caine) turns out to be an old friend." The plot doesn't hang together all that well, the action is often confused and confusing, and there are no noteworthy performances, but the Paris and Marseille locations work well. There's also a terrific Roy Budd score.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9325 on: July 08, 2011, 11:31:23 AM »

Sirocco - 5/10 - Humphrey Bogart is a gun-runner caught up in Syria's nationalist uprisings against France during the '20s. Plays like a shoddy mixture of Casablanca, The Third Man and Battle of Algiers. Has little to say about revolutionary politics or imperialism, and the plot and characters are too thin for it to work as light entertainment. Bogart is overshadowed by Lee J. Cobb's unusually sensitive performance and the pretty Marta Toren.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:40:09 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9326 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »

Source Code - 4/10 - Basically Groundhog Day meets Inception, where nothing is as it seems and there's no reason you should care, since it's happening to Jake Gyllenhaal.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: July 10, 2011, 08:34:23 AM »

bad day at black rock - really good

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: July 10, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »

bad day at black rock - really good

yea Borgnine does a great mean SOB.  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »

just saw the original "Taking of Pelham 123" (1974) for the second time; (MSG Network, a sports cable channel in New York, has been playing some New York-related movies recently; they have nothing else to show in the summer, when the Knicks and Rangers are off!). What a great movie. Beautifully done.

Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau were great. Generally good performances from the supporting cast.

At times, the script went a bit over the top (eg. some of the screaming/tempers by the MTA bigshots was a bit too much; and the scenes involving the mayor were absolutely ridiculous), but that is standard for a New York movie. I mean, that is what New Yorkers do all day: scream at each other with snotty accents, right?  But generally this was a really terrific movie.

p.s. the remake was terrible. I say that every opportunity I get  Wink

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:30:56 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM