Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 08:34:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764298 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9330 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »

just saw the original "Taking of Pelham 123" (1974) for the second time; (MSG Network, a sports cable channel in New York, has been playing some New York-related movies recently; they have nothing else to show in the summer, when the Knicks and Rangers are off!). What a great movie. Beautifully done.

Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau were great. Generally good performances from the supporting cast.

At times, the script went a bit over the top (eg. some of the screaming/tempers by the MTA bigshots was a bit too much; and the scenes involving the mayor were absolutely ridiculous), but that is standard for a New York movie. I mean, that is what New Yorkers do all day: scream at each other with snotty accents, right?  But generally this was a really terrific movie.

p.s. the remake was terrible. I say that every opportunity I get  Wink

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:30:56 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: July 16, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »

Deathly Hallows part 2 - 5/10

Not too impressive. Pretty much the Prince's tale was the best part.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9332 on: July 17, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »

Beau Geste - 7/10 - I'm starting to wonder if Battleground was a fluke for William Wellman. This is an enjoyable adventure film but it pales in comparison to the same year's Gunga Din and The Four Feathers, with a rather thin plot and an overlong conclusion. Brian Donlevy steals the film as a delightfully hammy villain (shades of LVC as Angel Eyes in spots).

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: July 17, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »

What do you think of Wellman in general?

I'm just watching Wings, and have watched Battleground (7/10) and Darby's Rangers (5,5/10). I have also bought A Star Is Born and Yellow Sky (9/10) and pre-ordered the Ox Bow Incident (8/10).

Battleground was interesting, but not too impressive from a modern point of view. There are several cliches scenes in the first 30 min, a type of scenes of which Darby's Rangers is filled with. Next to many comic and melodramatic interludes. but Battleground gets more intense when it arrives on the battleground.

I also watched 2 of his 3 John Wayne vehicles. The High and Mighty (6/10) is a bit dated in its conflicts, and overwritten in its character descriptions, but mostly enjoyable.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9334 on: July 17, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »

I thought Battleground was great, but haven't been impressed by the handful of other Welman flicks I've seen: The Story of GI Joe, The Ox-Bow Incident and now Beau Geste. He's a good director technically but with a penchant towards the silly and sentimental.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: July 17, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »

Grand Canyon (1991)

I watched this after I saw Roger Ebert write that he loved it; but it disappointed me. I think it was a movie that tried very hard to make a point, tried so so hard, you could see it trying.... but not quite getting there. These types of points have to be made subtly, without preaching. I'd give it a 6.9/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
tintinteslacoil
« Reply #9336 on: July 20, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »

"Source Code"--it was Weird. People walked out. The movie seemed very short, too--45 minutes? More like a couple episodes of "X-Files" than Hollywood.

Before that (Last week):  "Fast Five" (OK, lotsa action, not Great); "Rango" (Good! Fun! Like Bugs Bunny did a Spahetti Western!), and "Thor "(OK, not Great).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9337 on: July 20, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

"Source Code"--it was Weird. People walked out. The movie seemed very short, too--45 minutes? More like a couple episodes of "X-Files" than Hollywood.

Yes, it sucked.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: July 20, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »

Orchestra Rehearsal (1979) Average Fellini, not memorable but watchable. Actually it is one of his easiest among his last movies, perfectly comprehensible and with little psychoanalysis behind. Well, maybe the psychoanalysys broth is a bane to the story but it is good for the images: here there are not  memorable ones. And even the score it is not among Rota's best.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: July 20, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

And the Ship Sails On (1983) Another tolerable late Fellini which in the end leaves rather unsatisfied. I really didn't care for the story and the characters which the director meant to be "entertaining".

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:13 AM »

And the Ship Sails On (1983) Another tolerable late Fellini which in the end leaves rather unsatisfied. I really didn't care for the story and the characters which the director meant to be "entertaining".

This is one I like very much. Fellini's best after Amarcord. 9/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:49 AM »

The Natural (1984) 7.2/10

1. The production design and costumes are incredible.

2. The story is interesting at times, and at other times it just lost me. Some of the stuff are very loose references to real baseball history (eg. Babe Ruth, Eddie Waitkus, the connection between baseball and gambling).

3. The editing of the baseball sequences particularly annoyed me.

4. Redford and Duvall are always great.

5. The stadium was awfully crappy. This would make sense for a movie about a minor league team. But it's not very believable that a major-league team would play in a shithole like that;  I am sure that even in the 1930's, major league stadiums were nicer than that

6. The stadium that was supposed to be Wrigley Field was obviously a fake.

7.  The acting in the baseball scenes were absolutely horrendous. Couldn't they find some people who could at least pretend to know how to play baseball without looking like a girl? It would not have been believable even if the film was about a high school team.

Bottom Line: The film is worth watching when it comes up on the classic cable channels; or as a Netflix rental, once you have finished watching all your "must see" movies.  But I would not recommend that you buy the dvd if you have not seen it yet.

(I knew I'd have to watch this movie sometime; after all, it's one of those movies that every big sports fan has seen, right? Well, it took this baseball junkie 26 years to watch. No regrets either way).

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:14:34 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: July 21, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »

The Natural (1984) 7.2/10

2. The story is interesting at times, and at other times it just lost me. Some of the stuff are very loose references to real baseball history (eg. Babe Ruth, Eddie Waitkus, the connection between baseball and gambling).

Supposedly, there are also references to the Arthurain legend. For example, Wonderboy is supposed to be Excaliber, the dark lady is Morgan le Fey, and so on. I know, I know, you'd really rather not know (same here).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: July 21, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »

Fellini's Casanova (1976)  Still the best Fellini after Flaiano's demise. It probably lacks a memorable scene like the tobogan dream in City of Women, but it is much more coherent, thanx to the literary source, than most of what Fellini did in his later years. Sutherland's performance is great, as usual. I don't think it ranks with Fellini's best but it is still a great movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:22 PM »

Supposedly, there are also references to the Arthurain legend. For example, Wonderboy is supposed to be Excaliber, the dark lady is Morgan le Fey, and so on. I know, I know, you'd really rather not know (same here).

I have no clue about anything you just mentioned  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM