Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:07:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767671 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9345 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »

Midnight in Paris - 8/10
One of Woody's better movies. The Hemmingway character was hilarious.

Machete - 3/10
Not intentionally bad enough to be funny, but not quite good enough to be good. Didn't laugh once. I'd take Black Dynamite over this any day.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: July 22, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

Captain America, The First Avenger (2011) - 7/10. CA's origin story, reimagined. There are no surprises here if you are familiar with the mythos--maybe none even if you aren't. All the elements are present, with some pushed forward from later in the cycle: The Red Skull, Hydra, the Cosmic Cube, the Howling Commandos, the death of Bucky, Cap's suspended animation--now lasting 70 years so that he can re-emerge into our world at the end. A new, ill-fated love story has been added to the mix (Prediction: Cap will meet Peggy Carter's granddaughter in a later film, played by the same actress). There is a certain amount of fun in seeing such familiar material presented anew, but that pleasure is fleeting. The CGI works well. Not so the score, which is little more than sonic wallpaper. The title sequence is clever, but of course you have to wait until the end for it. And after the final credits there is, predictably, a teaser--this one for the Avengers movie due out May 2012.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »

The Way We Were (1973) I am partial to this because Streisand is one of the sexiest women around, though can hardly  be counted as one of the prettiest. I had though a better memory of this movie which is weak in the  Streisand character, whose immutable personality in a 20 year span is good as a basis for the tormented relationship with Redford but it is hardly believable. I also think that the cuts made by Pollack which are included in a documentary in the dvd are not always appropriate for a fair assessment of the movie. But I like so much the scene of the first night together in bed of the two: a 10\10 scene and an Oscar performance by Streisand. 5\10 for the whole movie.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »

The Offence (1972) I bought it because of Connery but unfortunately it is one of the Lumet's trademark "deep" movies which bore you to death like Prince of the City or The Pawnbroker. The psychological portrait of Connery is contrived, absurd and basically uninmportant: I didn't care to know what it was that bugged him. Much more imprtant is that the movie is slow-paced, imbued in darkness for a good half  (nobody will convince me that the director of photography was less than inept) and uneventful. 3\10 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:19 PM »

The Egyptian (1954) - 7/10. An impoverished physician (Edmund Purdom) is brought to the attention of an enlightened Pharoah (Michael Wilding), but he squanders the opportunity and allows his life to be wasted. Nonetheless, in the end, he achieves a kind of enlightenment himself. Epic hokum, reminding me of Hesse's Siddhartha (but based on an entirely different novel) transposed to Ancient 20th Century Fox soundstages. The interesting cast includes Jean Simmons (as the gold-hearted serving wench), Bella Darvi (a Babylonian temptress), Gene Tierney (Pharoah's butch sister), Victor Mature (the physician's he-man friend) and Peter Ustinov (the physician's crafty servant--there's a running gag about his missing eye that has a neat pay-off). The widescreen, set-bound production oozes money and looks suitably grand. The film also has an interesting soundtrack, composed by both Alfred Newman and Bernard Herrmann. They didn't collaborate so much as write separate cues which were then stitched together. As the film unspooled, I had fun trying to identify which cues belonged to which composer.

Marlowe (1969) 9/10. An adaptation of Raymond Chandler's The Little Sister, updated to the late '60s, with James Garner playing the famous private eye. Good support is provided by Carroll O'Connor, Gayle Hunnicutt, and a really lucious Rita Moreno. Garner and Moreno have such good chemistry that it is no wonder Moreno later became a semi-regular on The Rockford Files. In fact, Marlowe, which has a kind of cheap TV look, almost plays like an early pilot for Garner's show, but edgier, with sharper dialogue, and a really snappy pace (no time to show inserts of Garner's foot pushing the accelerator). The story really moves along. The Bruce Lee cameo is a lot of fun, also.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: July 26, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

Epic hokum, reminding me of Hesse's Siddhartha (but based on an entirely different novel)
Which happens to be like the third or fourth biggest classic in Finnish literature (and which I have not read).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: July 26, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »

Huh. I had no idea that the original novel was Finnish. I guess it's one of the most successful internationally published novels (translated into 40 languages, according to what I just read on Wikipedia).

Wikipedia also told me that the novel was first published in 1945; Siddartha came out in 1922, so, if the writer read German, it could have been an influence. Not that it would have had to be. The similarities I see could be entirely coincidental.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »

Huh. I had no idea that the original novel was Finnish. I guess it's one of the most successful internationally published novels (translated into 40 languages, according to what I just read on Wikipedia).

Wikipedia also told me that the novel was first published in 1945; Siddartha came out in 1922, so, if the writer read German, it could have been an influence. Not that it would have had to be. The similarities I see could be entirely coincidental.
I guess it could have been. I don't know about Waltari's knowledge of languages but German was like the foreign language to learn in Finland in the first half of the 20th century (rather than English) and he deliberately searched for European influences, travelled a lot etc.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: July 27, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) This movie acquired a certain notoriety in Italy for the wrong reasons, as it was mentioned in a "serious" movie (actually a crappy one) as an example of z-movie. So I expected a kind of horror movie (the italian title is Henry Rain of Blood) and instead I found one of the best crime movies ever made about demented serial killers. A pity the girl (Tracy Arnold) didn't have a career: what has Jodie Foster got on her? 8\10  

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:07:38 AM by titoli » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: July 27, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) Directed by Peter Yates with Robert Mitchum, Peter Boyle, Richard Jordan, Steven Keats, Alex Rocco, and Joe Santos. Criterion Collection DVD about small time gun runner Coyle (Mitchum) faced with doing time gives info to police on his friends.  Never seemed to catch up with this film in the theaters or on TV.  Mitchum is good and so is Peter Boyle, It is what it is, nothing special, but now at least I can say I've seen it. I think it would be for die hard Mitchum fans. 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: July 27, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) I think it would be for die hard Mitchum fans.
I think it's for Mitchum fans who want to see him play something other than his iconic persona.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: July 27, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »

Eddie Coyle is one of the best 70s movies I've seen. I don't know if there's a better low key thriller out there, maybe Pickpocket if that qualifies? Either way, I'd prefer Eddie Coyle.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: July 27, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »

Eddie Coyle is one of the best 70s movies I've seen. I don't know if there's a better low key thriller out there, maybe Pickpocket if that qualifies? Either way, I'd prefer Eddie Coyle.

I'm not into "low Key", not for a $$$ Criterion DVD, I was hoping for some "wow" factor, similar to the WOW I got when I watched "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia", for the first time. Oh well, I wasn't that thrilled.  Azn

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:44:29 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: July 27, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »

I'm not into "low Key", not for a $$$ Criterion DVD, I was hoping for some "wow" factor, similar to the WOW I got when I watched "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia", for the first time. Oh well, I wasn't that thrilled.  Azn
I had a similar feeling on first viewing, but if your tastes are anything like my own, your appreciation for the film will grow and grow. It really is one of the greats of the 70s.

Anyway, I hope you got your copy for half price . . . .

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: July 27, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »

Massacre in Rome (1973) I don't know how fair this is toward history adherence, I presume it should be as it is based on a solid book on the fact. It is well made, with a good performance by Burton, an irrelevant Morricone's score, and I think it is quite gripping especially if you don't know about those facts. 7\10

Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM