Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:41:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765884 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9405 on: August 15, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »

Machete (2010) opening sequence 8/10 the rest 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: August 16, 2011, 02:57:13 AM »

Three Supermen in the Jungle (1970) Considering that the 3 supermen were the best cast if the series and the scantily clad girls galore this should have been much better. On the contrary, it was the weakest of the series so far and it deserves a 2\10 only because of a catfight.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »

I liked the score.
Don't worry, I'm still willing to talk to you.

The Killing (1956) - 8/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The quintessential heist-gone-wrong flick with the quintessential film noir cast: Sterling Hayden, Elisha Cook Jr., Marie Windsor, Coleen Gray, Jay C. Flippen, Vince Edwards, Jay Adler, Timothy Carey, Joe Turkel, Dorthy Adams . . . In a new interview on the disc, producer James Harris confirms that Kubrick was responsible for the casting (with the exception of Edwards, who was Harris's friend). Kubrick went to movies and he knew who to go after. He also knew enough to get Lucien Ballard for the photography and Jim Thompson for adapting the source novel (in another interview extra, Thompson's biographer explains how Kubrick screwed Thompson out of his proper screen credit). The thing that attracted Kubrick and Harris to the material was the way the story was told, so the shuffled chronology was retained even against later objections by the studio (there was a last-minute attempt, quickly adandoned, to re-order the story in linear form). Somebody get Tarantino on the horn--In 1956, Harris-Kubrick were able to organize their time-displaced scenes without the use of chapter headings!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9408 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

Don't worry, I'm still willing to talk to you.

What a relief.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »

Two Cents Worth of Hope (1952) One of the first italian style comedies. At the time it was criticized for the downgrading of neorealistic techniques but 60 years later it still holds well as the pure escapist movie which intended to be. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »

Supermen Against the Orient (1973) Lamest of the series (but I have still 2 to peruse...) by reading a review at IMDB it seems that kung fu movies fans have something to chew on. As I am not I give it 1\10.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »

Lonely Are the Brave (1962) 5/10

The plot was ridiculous. A cowboy in the present-day who can't adjust to society? puhleez. it's 19friggin62!

The acting was pretty solid all around (except Michael Kane, who I couldn't stand as Paul Bondi) -- Kirk Douglas is always great; Walter Matthau as the sherriff; and Gena Rowlands as Jerry Bondi were good. But the story was absolutely ridiculous and not believable one bit.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »

Lonely Are the Brave (1962) 5/10

The plot was ridiculous. A cowboy in the present-day who can't adjust to society? puhleez. it's 19friggin62!

The acting was pretty solid all around (except Michael Kane, who I couldn't stand as Paul Bondi) -- Kirk Douglas is always great; Walter Matthau as the sherriff; and Gena Rowlands as Jerry Bondi were good. But the story was absolutely ridiculous and not believable one bit.
That's pretty much how I see it. Kirk Douglas gets himself thrown into jail on purpose and then has to escape? Huh?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: August 16, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »

That's pretty much how I see it. Kirk Douglas gets himself thrown into jail on purpose and then has to escape? Huh?

yup. and a sheriff can't just "decide" to sentence a man to a year in jail. There has to be a formal arraignment, followed by plea negotiations and possibly a trial. It's utter nonsense that Douglas gets arrested, "sentenced" -- by the sheriff! -- to a year in prison, and then escapes and is gone before one night is out  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: August 17, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »

3 Supermen Against Godfather (1979) This has surprisingly the return of Nick Jordan, talking and not jumping, with the action moving to Turkey. But the result sucks as the preceding ones. I give it 3\10 because of a couple of gags unfortunately badly developed and a couple of pretty girls in bikini.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: August 17, 2011, 06:19:23 PM »

They Drive By Night (1940) dir Raoul Walsh, with George Raft, Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino, Ann Sheridan, and Alan Hale. Two wildcat truckers, brothers Joe and Paul Fabrini (Raft & Bogart) struggling to make it in the hauling business. First half of the film is mostly about their trials and tribulations, triumphs and failures. Joe meets redhead waitress Cassi (Ann Sheridan) and they eventually hit it off. After Bogart looses his arm in a wreck Raft goes to work for his old friend Joe Carlson (Hale) as a traffic manager. Complications ensue when Carlson's wife Lana (Ida Lupino) an old flame of Joe's starts to come on to him.  Ida looks pretty good in this one, Raft & Bogart and Sheridan are entertaining. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: August 18, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »

A pretty good flick, a shame about George Raft. If only he'd turned down every part he was offered.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:10:12 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: August 18, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »

Maria Chapdelaine (1934) French Canadian melodrama. Director: Julien Duvivier, with Jean Gabin and Madeleine Renaud, an interesting flick to me because it  takes place on the Canadian Frontier and looks as if was actually shot there. Story is Maria Chapdelaine must choose between three suitors Gabin is one of them. 6/10 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: August 18, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »

SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION 8/10....any time you get Paul Newman and Henry Fonda on the same screen, it's awesome. the supporting cast is good as well. I'd definitely recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it should put it on their Netflix queue :-)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:55:29 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: August 18, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »

99 RIVER STREET (1953) 6.8/10

This noir starts out promising, but doesn't finish as strongly. Still, a decent watch. Very good performances all around

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:24:25 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM