Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:24:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759300 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9435 on: August 24, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »

RIO CONCHOS 6/10.... Richard Boone is one of a few bright spots in a film that is frustrating because it has bright spots but overall wasn't done properly. at certain points u think this has great potential, but then some of the plot elements just seem absurd; some of the comedic bits with the half-breed are real funny, but then at times they are ovedone. i loved the final set (ie. the half-built mansion). i think that if this film is re-made properly, with good casting and fixing some of the writing, it has potential to really be a good film.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: August 25, 2011, 02:40:49 AM »

re: my previous post about RIO CONCHOS: I just wanted to add that I rented the movie from iTunes, cuz it was unavailable from Netflix. and unfortunately, it was a pan and scan version. the film was shot in cinemascope, which i believe uses a 2.35:1 aspect ratio; my math isn't the greatest, but off the top of my head, when you pan and scan a 2.35:1  film to 4:3, you lose something like 40% of the width of the picture, right? needless to say, that was pretty awful. on some shots which had two people, they show half of each person's face, rather than just cutting out one person completely. so it was awful.... and it is doubly pathetic cuz they show the widescreen version for the opening credits (cuz otherwise they wuld have to cut out some of the words), and then switch to the pan and scan starting with the first cut after the credits; then revert back to widescreen for the closng credits.... anyway, i don't think i have to convince anyone here about the evils of pan and scan; just expressing my frustration at how awful this was (though i doubt it would have changed my mind much about a film that was not very well-written

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: August 25, 2011, 04:20:14 AM »

A bit lower than I pitched it. But I admit I don't feel the need to ever see it again.

Maybe i was a bit mean and perhaps it deserves a 5 out of 10.

I agree with Groggy that the dialogue was cringeworthy and Caesar's deep voice ("i am home") just doesn't work.With all the other apes presumably speaking i think the expected sequel will be very dreadful indeed.

I didn't like Tim Butons film much either but at least the ape characters (Tim Roth etc) worked quite well.I think Andy Serkis should maybe stick to just playing Gollum in the hobbit films.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:14 AM »

RIO CONCHOS 6/10.... Richard Boone is one of a few bright spots in a film that is frustrating because it has bright spots but overall wasn't done properly. at certain points u think this has great potential, but then some of the plot elements just seem absurd; some of the comedic bits with the half-breed are real funny, but then at times they are ovedone. i loved the final set (ie. the half-built mansion). i think that if this film is re-made properly, with good casting and fixing some of the writing, it has potential to really be a good film.

I upped it for Richard Boone, it does have its flaws, Boone was a sorely underused actor in films, sadly, Hombre, is great also check it out if you haven't.  There are quite a few "Have Gun Will Travel" episodes that are brilliant for  a TV Western, you should check out that series sometime they are on Netflix.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:35:25 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: August 25, 2011, 05:25:19 AM »

re: my previous post about RIO CONCHOS: I just wanted to add that I rented the movie from iTunes, cuz it was unavailable from Netflix. and unfortunately, it was a pan and scan version. the film was shot in cinemascope, which i believe uses a 2.35:1 aspect ratio; my math isn't the greatest, but off the top of my head, when you pan and scan a 2.35:1  film to 4:3, you lose something like 40% of the width of the picture, right? needless to say, that was pretty awful. on some shots which had two people, they show half of each person's face, rather than just cutting out one person completely. so it was awful.... and it is doubly pathetic cuz they show the widescreen version for the opening credits (cuz otherwise they wuld have to cut out some of the words), and then switch to the pan and scan starting with the first cut after the credits; then revert back to widescreen for the closng credits.... anyway, i don't think i have to convince anyone here about the evils of pan and scan; just expressing my frustration at how awful this was (though i doubt it would have changed my mind much about a film that was not very well-written

You shouldn't have watched it until you get a widescrenn version. I watch pan&scan only if films are not available elsewhere, and that goes mostly only for some very rare films.

I think that Rio Conchos is a pretty good film with a fine Clair Huffaker script and it is well directed. The best film of Gordon Douglas (at least of the ones I have seen). 8/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9440 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »

I upped it for Richard Boone, it does have its flaws, Boone was a sorely underused actor in films, sadly, Hombre, is great also check it out if you haven't.  

Don't forget The Kremlin Letter.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »

yeah i have seen him in HOMBRE, as well as BIG JAKE. also in THE RAID with Van Heflin and Lee Marvin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: August 25, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »

Don't forget The Kremlin Letter.
Yeah. That may be Boone's finest effort.

The Killer is Loose (1956) - 7/10. In apprehending Wendell "Milquetoast" Corey (the inside man on a bank heist), Detective Joseph Cotton inadvertently kills Corey's wife. At the trial, Corey promises to "settle with" Cotton and looks meaningfully at the detective's new bride (Rhonda Fleming). Fast forward a couple years: Corey breaks out of a work farm and, leaving a trail of bodies behind him as he goes, takes his run at Cotton and Fleming. Directed with economy--as one would expect--by Budd Boetticher, the quick-paced film leaves out anything inessential. Still, there is time enough for psycho Correy to look up his old Army sergeant and allow him to enjoy one last bottle of milk. . . .  A great scene in a fun little picture.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:30:14 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: August 27, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »

Fear and Desire (1953) Yeah, Kubrick wanted to destroy this first effort, and one can easily understand why. Most of dialogues are striving for the "meaningful" or the "symbolic" or whatever can slow down the action. The whole scene of the tied up girl is inexcusable. Still there are some good things, like the evident russian influence (those close ups and the details), the score (it reminded me of Kurosawa's) and some images which, I don't know, they made me think of Apocalypse Now (the river and the fog). So it's not a good movie but it must be seen by whomever likes Kubrick. 5\10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: August 27, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »

In Italy they had the nerve to release commercially a dvd:

You can see it at youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZhzpBl5g4

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: August 27, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »

So it's not a good movie but it must be seen by whomever likes Kubrick. 5\10 
What if you are the kind of person who only likes Kubrick intermittently?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9446 on: August 27, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »

Fear and Desire (1953) Yeah, Kubrick wanted to destroy this first effort, and one can easily understand why. Most of dialogues are striving for the "meaningful" or the "symbolic" or whatever can slow down the action. The whole scene of the tied up girl is inexcusable. Still there are some good things, like the evident russian influence (those close ups and the details), the score (it reminded me of Kurosawa's) and some images which, I don't know, they made me think of Apocalypse Now (the river and the fog). So it's not a good movie but it must be seen by whomever likes Kubrick. 5\10 

I thought there was some interesting editing but otherwise not much of merit.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: August 27, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »

What if you are the kind of person who only likes Kubrick intermittently?

Don't waste time on it (though I presume you're hankering after a bluray release).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »

BRANNIGAN 6.8/10..... a cop movie, with John Wayne in the lead role, as sort of a Dirty Harry-type character. Brannigan is a Chicago cop,  but the movie takes place in Britain, where he has to go to extradite a wated criminal. (in that sense, it may be closer to a different Clint Eastwood cop movie: Coogan's Bluff). Naturally, you have the cultural clash between Brannigan and the London police (jackasses who don't even wear guns!) Richard Alteborrough (i am sure i am misspelling his name) plays the lead London cop; I always like him; i remeber him from THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE SAND PEBBLES. the movie disappointed me. if you happen to catch it on a classic movie channel, it's not aterrible watch. but don't bother renting it

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:05:08 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: August 27, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »

just to clarify my previous post:  when I said "the movie disappointed me," i was referring to BRANNIGAN, (not THE GREAT ESCAPE or THE SAND PEBBLES. TGE was a great movie, and TSP was damn good too)..... anyway, my problem with BRANNIGAN was mostly due to the screenplay/plot. Wayne and Alteborrough were great as usual; and the female lead (I forgot her name) was good as well. The crimina character (named Larkin in the movie) was pretty annoying; I hated his accent, which i have no clue where it's from.... But it is really the writing/plot that disappointed me

Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM