Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 09:19:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832828 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9450 on: August 28, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »

Unforgiven - 9/10 - 4th (?) viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9451 on: August 29, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »

Unforgiven - 9/10 - 4th (?) viewing.

Me too. The BR transfer is good.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: August 30, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »

Colombiana (2011) - 10/10. It's hard to beat the thumbnail at IMDb: "She works for her uncle as a hitman by day, but her personal time is spent engaging in vigilante murders that she hopes will lead her to her ultimate target - the mobster responsible for her parents' death."La Femme Nikita for a new generation, with Olivier Megaton (under the guidance of Luc Besson) hitting all the terms of the action film. But the execution is flawless. You Will Believe That a Tired Formula Can Get Up Off It's Ass and Dance Swan Lake. And Zoe Saldana is a real honey.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: August 30, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »

Colombiana (2011) - 10/10. It's hard to beat the thumbnail at IMDb: "She works for her uncle as a hitman by day, but her personal time is spent engaging in vigilante murders that she hopes will lead her to her ultimate target - the mobster responsible for her parents' death."La Femme Nikita for a new generation, with Olivier Megaton (under the guidance of Luc Besson) hitting all the terms of the action film. But the execution is flawless. You Will Believe That a Tired Formula Can Get Up Off It's Ass and Dance Swan Lake. And Zoe Saldana is a real honey.

Sounds interesting

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9454 on: August 30, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

This from the guy who gave Taken a 5/10? Looks pretty awful to me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: August 30, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

This from the guy who gave Taken a 5/10? Looks pretty awful to me.
For comparison's sake, I gave The Mechanic (2011) a 7, and Hanna an 8.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: August 31, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »

Jane Eyre (2011) - 9/10. There have been so many adaptations of the terribly flawed novel that I almost ignored this new one. Then I got wind of the film's clever re-structuring: it begins with Jane fleeing Rochester's house, crossing the moors, and being discovered by the Rivers. Then, as she tells her life story to her new benefactors, we see everything up to that point in flashback. It occurred to me that that would give the film several advantages: it would enable the director to cover all the famous--not to say iconic--episodes quickly, without the temptation of having to linger over everything. It would also make the sojourn with the Rivers, a dull patch in the book, more bearable. AND, because the flashbacks concern such a large space of time,  there would be a sense, if only by association, that Jane's stay with the Rivers is a rather long one (in the book, many months). Adaptations usually either omit the Rivers altogether, or telescope the episode into an impossibly short period. Here was a chance to do a faithful Jane Eyre that was also highly cinematic.

So I watched the film and was not disappointed. The new ordering keeps the film to a compact 2 hours without giving the impression that the plot is being rushed. Further, the actress Mia Wasikowska is great casting--an appealing young woman who, for the first time, seems to be the right age for the role (Fassbender as Rochester is OK). Also there is some really stunning photography, and a truly memorable solo-violin-heavy score (by Dario Marinelli). So, as they say: If you see only one film adaptation of Jane Eyre in your lifetime, see this one too!

Dragonwyck (1946) - 10/10. A kind of American Jane Eyre, with the action re-located to the upper Hudson River region circa the 1840s. The governess is played by Gene Tierney, and the Rochester-like role goes to Vincent Price--appropriate, as he is in fact guilty of the murder of his first wife. So, no happy reunion for the lovers this time. Great set design, music, and photography. This was Joseph L. Mankiewicz's first picture as director.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: September 01, 2011, 06:49:05 AM »

A little Hurricane Irene Backlog:

Moontide (1942) More a routine love story with Noir-ish lighting than anything else, OK performances by Gabon, Lupino, and Raines, looks all set bound but the sets are not very interesting, nothing I'd recommend to hard core Noir lovers. 6.5/10

Rancho Notorius (1942) Nothing special, and at times ludicrous, Dietrich looks great in some sequences but a fading beauty. 6/10

Shanghai Express (1932) If you want to see how beautiful Dietrich was catch this one, and adventure, drama, romance story with lots of great atmosphere. Dietrich is the notorious prostitute Shanghai Lily the "white blossom of China" who discovers her former lover Clive Brooke, on the train and rekindles their relationship. Great cast of Anna May Wong,  Walter Oland, Eugene Pallette, Lawrence Grant, Louise Closser Hale,    Gustav von Seyffertitz, and Emile Chautard. Entertaining, 7.5-8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: September 03, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »

Blitz (2011) - 6/10. Jason Statham as a kind of southeast London Dirtry Harry. Only this time "Harry" is partly responsible for "Scorpio's" crimes--which are all directed at cops--because "Harry" once beat the shit out of "Scorpio" in a poolhall. Kinda lame. Even lamer, there are side stories about a cop who lost his wife, and one who is a backsliding drug addict. These attempts at showing us that police are people too (imagine that!) just bogs everything down. My biggest objection, though: when I pay money to see a Statham movie, I expect to see Statham racking up the body count, not some other clown. Statham had almost no kills in this! I shoulda asked for my money back.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9459 on: September 03, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: 9/10
I like it better with each viewing. The gap with The Big Lebowski is narrowing.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9460 on: September 04, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »

Blitz (2011) - 6/10. Jason Statham as a kind of southeast London Dirtry Harry. Only this time "Harry" is partly responsible for "Scorpio's" crimes--which are all directed at cops--because "Harry" once beat the shit out of "Scorpio" in a poolhall. Kinda lame. Even lamer, there are side stories about a cop who lost his wife, and one who is a backsliding drug addict. These attempts at showing us that police are people too (imagine that!) just bogs everything down. My biggest objection, though: when I pay money to see a Statham movie, I expect to see Statham racking up the body count, not some other clown. Statham had almost no kills in this! I shoulda asked for my money back.

All that and a 6/10? Jinkies, you're slipping.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) This is considered generally the best of the Lincoln biopics, mostly thanx to Morley's performance. Actually I was annoyed by his sententious cademce even in the most informal of dialogues. And his appearance of at least a quarter of century older man when playing young Lincoln was another  minus. Add to that some cheesy scenes and ugly Ruth Gordon (actually, in her '70's movies she gave you the false impression she might have been tolerable 30 years before) and you had little to be happy about. But the last part, when Lincoln has the right age for Morley and the character becomes more and more a public figure, then you have the impression that  Lincoln must have been something like Morley: and that's no mean feat. And if you have any doubt, just compare this movie and this performance to Ford's movie of the preceding year. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9462 on: September 04, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) This is considered generally the best of the Lincoln biopics, mostly thanx to Morley's performance. Actually I was annoyed by his sententious cademce even in the most informal of dialogues. And his appearance of at least a quarter of century older man when playing young Lincoln was another  minus. Add to that some cheesy scenes and ugly Ruth Gordon (actually, in her '70's movies she gave you the false impression she might have been tolerable 30 years before) and you had little to be happy about. But the last part, when Lincoln has the right age for Morley and the character becomes more and more a public figure, then you have the impression that  Lincoln must have been something like Morley: and that's no mean feat. And if you have any doubt, just compare this movie and this performance to Ford's movie of the preceding year. 7\10

Who's Morley?

I enjoy both films but give the edge to the Ford film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9463 on: September 04, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

Traffic - 9/10 - 2nd viewing

Lion of the Desert - 8/10 - Anthony Quinn plays Omar Mukhtar, who leads Libyan resistance against Italy during the '20s and '30s. Plays like The Battle of Algiers on an epic scale, with graphic battle scenes and atrocities showing the nastiness of imperialism and insurrection. Quinn is amazingly subdued in his role, but Oliver Reed's brutal General Graziani arguably steals the show. Maurice Jarre has an excellent desert-flavored score that doesn't sound a bit like Lawrence of Arabia.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: September 04, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »

Senna (2010) - 9/10. A documentary on the career of Ayrton Senna, a kind of god of Formula 1, apparently. The great thing is, you don't have to be a fan of racing (and I'm not) to enjoy this. The film is assembled like a feature, with the hero overcoming several setbacks and an evil rival to notch up three world championships. It's like Grand Prix without the soap opera bits, and with real people instead of actors. The only thing I can fault the film for is the overuse of foreshadowing--the ending is telegraphed. For people who already know the story that may be no big deal, but for those of us who went in without knowing anything in advance, it would have been better if the climax came as more of a shock. Still, this is a great bit of editing, and a terrifically entertaining flick.

Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM