Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:43:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767913 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9480 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:17 PM »

The Debt (2011) - 10/10. My brothers, there are espionage films, and then there are espionage films. Ho.Lee.Shit.

I saw my local theater is showing this. Will keep it in mind. Afro

If it weren't for the fact Tom Wilkinson is in the picture, I'd be giving this an 11.

You're a toad.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: September 07, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »

Superargo Versus Diabolicus (1967) Masked wrestler (suits inspired by the Phantom) plays at spies in a James Bond clone. Boring. 2\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »

The Magus (1968) - 5/10. Anthony Quinn is suitably strange, Michael Caine is beautiful, Candy Ice-Bergen lovelier still, and the Greek locations are pretty enough, but the plot of this film is straight from WTF? Central. Based on a novel by John Fowles that was considered important at the time (Fowles did the screenplay also), the story reaches for profundity but manages only Needlessly Obscure. There are lots of mysterious goings on which are finally explained, and then re-explained under another paradigm, and then re-re-explained, etc. After a while you stop caring. Anyway, this sort of thing was better done later in The Stuntman.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9483 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:46 PM »

The Debt - 8/10 - The 1960s scenes make a superb thriller: intense, well-written and cleverly plotted, with great performances all around (who is Jessica Chastain and where has she been hiding?). The reveal that I dare not spoil is genuinely shocking. The "modern day" scenes are servicable until the facepalm-inducing ending. Since I don't do half-stars, I'll be generous and give it the higher rating.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »

The "modern day" scenes are servicable until the facepalm-inducing ending.
Huh, I really liked the ending. Well, different strokes, etc.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: September 10, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »

My Cousin Rachel (1952) 9/10. Sort of Rebecca turned inside out, with Richard Burton in the Joan Fontaine role, and the mysterious older love interest being taken by Fontaine's sister, Olivia de Havilland. There's another Cornish coast setting, another mansion, another suspicious death in the background. The film also operates like that other famous Joan Fontaine vehicle, the one that has the main character vascilating between ardor and suspicion. But the problem with Hitchcock's Suspicion (the cop-out ending) is here solved: the ambiguity of the interloper's intentions is maintained beyond the film's ending. The movie also features a wonderfully bombastic Franz Waxman score.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »

(who is Jessica Chastain and where has she been hiding?)

She was fantastic in Tree of Life.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9487 on: September 10, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »

Looks like she was in The Help too. Must be her big year.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: September 10, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »

Crime d'amour /Love Crime (2010) - 7/10. A young corporate exec (the horse-faced Ludivine Sagnier) is being both mentored and humiliated by her manipulative and petty boss (Kristin Scott Thomas). The young woman takes the abuse for a time, then plots an elaborate revenge. Because the avenger is known and the exact nature of the revenge is revealed early on, the chief interest remains in seeing how matters unfold so the woman can get away with her crime d'amour.  The title is, needless to say, ironic, as all the characters operate with logic and dispassion (proving once again that the French are souless insects in human form). Watching the film run its course, I was put in mind of that even better exercise in convoluted revenge, Le dos au mur (1958). Still, there are pleasures to be had here, including the score by Pharoah Sanders (who augments his sax with some refreshing koto). And considering that Alain Corneau was dead at the time he made the film (proving once again that the French are souless robots in human form), the direction is quite impressive.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9489 on: September 10, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »

The Battle of Algiers - 10/10 - Good to revisit this every 18 months or so.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9490 on: September 11, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »

Lethal Weapon - 7/10 - A fun dumb action film, nothing more or less.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: September 13, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

Contagion (2011) - 4/10. The world's slickest public service announcement. Mind you, the sight of a bone saw being applied to Gwyneth Paltrow's lifeless skull--in IMAX!--was something of a treat.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9492 on: September 13, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »

Contagion (2011) - 4/10. The world's slickest public service announcement. Mind you, the sight of a bone saw being applied to Gwyneth Paltrow's lifeless skull--in IMAX!--was something of a treat.

Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: September 14, 2011, 03:04:53 AM »

The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) This looks like it was entirely shot in Hollywood and it has high and lows. Especially the italian scenes are cheesy, since most of the people speak their fathers language with an heavy american accent. What it doesn't work is also the treatment of the personal vicissitudes which deter from the action scenes. Still I haven't seen anothe war movie which conveys as this the feeling of being in the mud under the rain.  Was Burgess Meredith ever young? 7\10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: September 14, 2011, 03:09:54 AM »

To Hell and Back (1955) Well, I expected something more of what you get only in the last 10 minutes: Murphy beating the germans single-handedly. But there is little of that. As usual, there are the scenes you expect in movies like this: but especially the Italy recreated in Hollywood is embarrassing. Some good action scenes (especially the said last) make it watchable. 6\10

Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM