Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:17:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832680 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9495 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:35 AM »

The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) This looks like it was entirely shot in Hollywood and it has high and lows. Especially the italian scenes are cheesy, since most of the people speak their fathers language with an heavy american accent. What it doesn't work is also the treatment of the personal vicissitudes which deter from the action scenes. Still I haven't seen anothe war movie which conveys as this the feeling of being in the mud under the rain.  Was Burgess Meredith ever young? 7\10 
As far as I know, no, Burgess Meredith was never young. Part of what I don't like about G.I. Joe is that everything is from the journalist's perspective. Eventually, the film becomes about him, rather than the men he is putatively covering.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of that better film set during the Italian campaign, A Walk in the Sun.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9496 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »

The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) This looks like it was entirely shot in Hollywood and it has high and lows. Especially the italian scenes are cheesy, since most of the people speak their fathers language with an heavy american accent. What it doesn't work is also the treatment of the personal vicissitudes which deter from the action scenes. Still I haven't seen anothe war movie which conveys as this the feeling of being in the mud under the rain.  Was Burgess Meredith ever young? 7\10 

I'm not a fan of that one. Battleground is much better IMO.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: September 14, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of that better film set during the Italian campaign, A Walk in the Sun.

I think I wrote about that already. Anyway is a too long movie, with too much lyricism implanted in the characters and a slowing down of the pace. I  consider hollywood war movies as action movies and the more you adhere to this precept the better: see Apocalypse Now or Deer Hunter: excellent when they deal with action and boring in the "deep" parts.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: September 14, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »

Drive (2011) - 9/10. This has a lot going for it: style to burn, a better-than-adequate electronic score, some interesting casting choices. And I appreciated the way that long, dreamy, slo-mo sequences could suddenly give way to moments of shocking--truly shocking--violence. But there were several niggling things that kept it from being perfect: the soundtrack was augmented with some really bad pop tunes, the editing sometimes made it impossible to fully enjoy the action scenes (especially the car chases), and it's just not believable that Ryan Gosling could consistently punch above his weight class. There were plot problems as well. Sometimes things played out believably. If you're in an elevator with an armed assassin, and you can get him down on the floor, you would try to kick his face in. And you would keep on kicking until there was no more face to kick. I get that, it's perfectly logical. But if you're going to a knife fight with Albert Brooks--I kid you not, Albert Brooks!--would you really bring only a polo shirt for protection? Speaking of Albert Brooks, if there's any justice the guy will get a best supporting Oscar for this. He's both funny AND scary. And speaking of knife fights, they're a nice change of pace from the usual shoot-em-ups.  And Carey Mulligan was a very appealing alternative to the usual love interest. And there wasn't as much driving in this as I thought there'd be. And that's a good thing.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:25:41 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9499 on: September 15, 2011, 08:10:30 AM »

Drive looks good but it's not playing anywhere near me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9500 on: September 18, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »

The Maltese Falcon - 9/10 - 2nd viewing

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: September 18, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »

The Maltese Falcon - 9/10 - 2nd viewing

That's generous I'd go 7-7.5 max, not enough locations to suit my tastes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: September 18, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »

cj: movies really are all about locations to you.... I mean, a nice train, a nice field, and a nice street, and that's an automatic 8 at least, eh  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: September 18, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

cj: movies really are all about locations to you.... I mean, a nice train, a nice field, and a nice street, and that's an automatic 8 at least, eh  Wink

Yea it definitely helps, the Maltese Falcon seems like a stage play in comparison to a lot of my favorite Noirs and the Femme Fatale is a dog to boot.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: September 18, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »

Yea it definitely helps, the Maltese Falcon seems like a stage play in comparison to a lot of my favorite Noirs and the Femme Fatale is a dog to boot.  Cool

my favorite AW is Rio Bravo, which takes place entirely in the town  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9505 on: September 18, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »

That's generous I'd go 7-7.5 max, not enough locations to suit my tastes.

Obviously we're not judging it on the same criteria.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: September 18, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

Obviously we're not judging it on the same criteria.
Yes, Joe doesn't think there's enough fiber in the turds, but Grogs appreciate their rich color and pungent aroma.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »

A comedian  Wink

Call Northside 777 (1948) Directed by Henry Hathaway with James Stewart, Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb, & Helen Walker.  Based on a true story, a man, Conte, is accused of killing a cop by an eye witness who ran a speakeasy in the 30's, he's convicted and sent up for life, his mother washes floors for 11 years and saves enough money to run a Chicago Times newspaper add offering a reward to who ever can identify the real killer.

This interests the newspaper to assign Stewart to write a story about the add, which in turn, after Stewart interviews Conte's mother, starts Stewart on a crusade to refute the dubious eye witness testimony. This is an entertaining story supposedly filmed where ever possible at the actual Chicago locations where the events took place. Lots of great interior and exterior location shots around Chicago give the film a very gritty feel.

Another top notch noir from the Fox Film Noir Collection 10/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9508 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »

Yes, Joe doesn't think there's enough fiber in the turds, but Grogs appreciate their rich color and pungent aroma.

You're the expert.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »

unfuckingbelievable, you two. Thanks for the constant entertainment   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM