Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:35:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766668 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9510 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »

unfuckingbelievable, you two. Thanks for the constant entertainment   Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:56 PM »

Ace in the Hole (1951) 10/10

Amazing movie

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:47:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:21 AM »

I like the film, but the ending doesn't make any sense to me.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: September 19, 2011, 05:58:37 AM »

I like the film, but the ending doesn't make any sense to me.

u referring to Ace in the Hole?

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

the woman had stabbed him earlier with the scissors when he was choking her with the fur her husband had bought for her. It was a scisorrs stab wound in the guy, which took a long time to bleed through. So he did not die until a few hours later

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

the woman had stabbed him earlier with the scissors when he was choking her with the fur her husband had bought for her. It was a scisorrs stab wound in the guy, which took a long time to bleed through. So he did not die until a few hours later
SPOILERS CONTINUE
Yeah, I got that. But why didn't he seek medical attention? I call bogus! He went back to the newsroom instead so that he could make a statement or something with his death? Double bogus! And what was with his final speech, anyway? He's the guy that's been priming the pump of exploitative journalism. So now he's going to shame members of the industry? Triple bogus!
SPOILERS END

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: September 19, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »

Rate the Last Movie You Saw - 9.5/10 - I laughed and laughed and laughed. Probably the greatest message board thread of all time, and certainly the best thing RRPower every created (admittedly not an impressive title), though there is perhaps a bit too much Jenkins for my taste. At 470 pages though, it's quite a sit, bring a sack lunch.
And it just keeps getting better and better.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: September 19, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »

SPOILERS CONTINUE
Yeah, I got that. But why didn't he seek medical attention? I call bogus! He went back to the newsroom instead so that he could make a statement or something with his death? Double bogus! And what was with his final speech, anyway? He's the guy that's been priming the pump of exploitative journalism. So now he's going to shame members of the industry? Triple bogus!
SPOILERS END

I have some problems with certain parts of the writing, but that end doesn't bother me that much.

It probably was not a major wound, just kept tricklin blood for hours and hours, and eventually he lost enough to die (and he had been drinking too). he is a guy who will do ANYTHING for the big story. you think it is implausible that as HIS major story is nearing it's end, he doesn't want to "waste" the time going to see a doctor? After all he went through to do this story, I don't think iot implausible that he would try to macho it out, to do all he can to report this story. Of course, that turned out to be the fatally wrong decision., but I think it is entirey plausible.

Anyway, I made a new thread for this movie here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10921.0

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:48:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9517 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »

Drive - 8/10 - I might want to chew this over a bit before engaging in any sort of analysis.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: September 23, 2011, 11:36:31 PM »

Drive - 8/10 - I might want to chew this over a bit before engaging in any sort of analysis.
You might indeed. I'm thinking of going back for another look myself.

But in the meantime:
Moneyball (2011) - 9/10. The story of Billy Beane and the 2002 Oakland A's. Typical of Aaron Sorkin, matters are oversimplifed; then, oversimplifications in hand, tendentious points are made about the Way Things Are. In this particular account, Beane is apparently a kind of baseball Galileo who brings a heretical new model of the game before a scandalized MLB priesthood (though no recantation is required, and Beane is even vindicated within a single season). Still, this is a good story, with interesting characters, told well. It should be a model for future movies on sports subjects (provided one could cut out all the cutesy stuff with the daughter).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: September 24, 2011, 03:58:52 AM »

The Turning Point (1952) With William Holden, Edmund O'Brein, and Alexis Smith. Slow starting but momentum building Noir, it delivers 8/10 Streaming on Netflix.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9520 on: September 24, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »

Moneyball (2011) - 9/10. The story of Billy Beane and the 2002 Oakland A's. Typical of Aaron Sorkin, matters are oversimplifed; then, oversimplifications in hand, tendentious points are made about the Way Things Are. In this particular account, Beane is apparently a kind of baseball Galileo who brings a heretical new model of the game before a scandalized MLB priesthood (though no recantation is required, and Beane is even vindicated within a single season). Still, this is a good story, with interesting characters, told well. It should be a model for future movies on sports subjects (provided one could cut out all the cutesy stuff with the daughter).

Great to hear. I'll be seeing this as soon as possible.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9521 on: September 24, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »

The League of Gentlemen - 8/10 - Jack Hawkins assembles a crack team of ex-servicemen for a complex bank heist. A cracking good crime film with suprisingly subversive and edgy content for its time: besides some vicious social commentary and black Ealing-esque humor, there's a lot of undisguised sex talk, Kieron Moore's character is openly gay and Jack Hawkins utters an uncensored profanity. Definitely worth a look.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: September 25, 2011, 03:54:45 AM »

Sunset Boulevard (1950) 9.4/10

I generally don't like when movies give away the ending in the first scene. And I wish that Max explained a bit more about being her first husband, and coming back to be her servant. Those are my only 2 complaints on a spectacular film.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:32:28 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: September 26, 2011, 05:52:47 AM »

Sunset Boulevard (1950) 9.4/10

I generally don't like when movies give away the ending in the first scene. And I wish that Max explained a bit more about being her first husband, and coming back to be her servant. Those are my only 2 complaints on a spectacular film.

Well, that is one of the conventions of Noir, a lot of stories are told in flash back so keep that in mind.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: September 26, 2011, 06:13:51 AM »

The League of Gentlemen - 8/10 - Jack Hawkins assembles a crack team of ex-servicemen for a complex bank heist. A cracking good crime film with suprisingly subversive and edgy content for its time: besides some vicious social commentary and black Ealing-esque humor, there's a lot of undisguised sex talk, Kieron Moore's character is openly gay and Jack Hawkins utters an uncensored profanity. Definitely worth a look.
The ending disappointed me.

Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM