Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 12:04:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770526 times)
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #9570 on: October 10, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »

How much cyber real-estate does your obnoxious photo use up?
Right now it fronts more than 8,000 posts.
Which means it is more widely-disseminated on this forum than Sergio Leone himself, who would have shot you on sight for posting it in the first place.
Do the website owners realize that you're using them to plug your favorite program at Sergio Leone's expense?
The nerdy film critic who talks gibberish about nothing -- is that what you think of everyone here?

I'm just curious.

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »

Dude, we've already got a guy on this board without a sense of humor. (Somebody tell titoli there's a new guy out to take his spot).

Anyway, welcome to the board. I've seen your posts on other sites and they tend to be informed and thoughtful. I think you're contributions here will enrich the proceedings. Glad to know ya. But lighten up.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9572 on: October 10, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »

Dude, we've already got a guy on this board without a sense of humor. (Somebody tell titoli there's a new guy out to take his spot).

Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »

Groggy says he found "the concept interesting but indifferently executed."
There is nothing indifferent in Hour of the Gun.
It is involved and committed story telling at every level.

no Westerns are historically accurate, no matter what they proclaim. i mean, the Gunfight itself -- the incident that this movie is responding to -- was depicted in a purely fictional way. Sure, once it was depicted that way in GAOKC, it would have been dumb to depict it accurately in HOTG. But still, it was not historically accurate.

(As I recall,  Tombstone and Wyatt Earp (which correctly depict the Gunfight as not having actually taken place in the OK Corral) depict Morgan and Virgil as being shot on the same night... I could be wrong, have't seen either of them in a while, and don't plan on seeing 'em again... Does anyone remember whether those movies depict Morgan and Virgil as being shot on the same night?)

In effect, both Tombstone (1993) and Wyatt Earp (1994) compress time so that the two events -- Morgan's murder and Virgil's arm crippling -- take place on the same night. But at least the murder and arm crippling are depicted, which is definitely a step forward. Actually, Hour of the Gun was the first to do this. Wyatt Earp depicts the location of the gunfight correctly -- in an alley between two buildings situated behind the corral. But for every historical fact conveyed, there are a dozen historical inaccuracies in each film. Too many to tally up.

I don't insist on historical accuracy in westerns. When telling stories about real people and actual events, film makers should make an effort to be historically informed and factually accurate insofar as is possible. But I realize that it is impossible to do 100%.

Some things are not impossible, however. Take wardrobe for instance. During that era, pants did not have belt loops and shirts did not have pockets. Not until about 1900 do you start seeing pockets on shirts and belt loops on pants, and then rarely until the 1910s. That kind of accuracy doesn't even cost money. But it does require a well-informed mind and someone who cares enough to get the details right. This renders 95% of westerns historically inaccurate.

Study this faded and worn 1870s image. It shows where the actual gunfight took place. The photo is taken from the back of the buildings looking toward the front. The gunfight took place deep in the frame, at the front of the alley, where the buildings face the street. The smaller building on your left is a miner's cabin. That building on your right is Fly's Boarding House; on the other side of it would be the O.K. Corral and Livery Stable. Parallel with the camera, and out of frame on the right, would be Fly's Photo Gallery. The smaller building on your left is a miner's cabin. I wish the mule bearing firewood were not in the photo, but we're stuck with it.

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9574 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

That's what's called an opinion, my friend.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: October 10, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »

Richard--W: welcome to the board. but with all due respect, i don't think it is proper forr you to come onto the board and start bashing one of the longest-tenured and prolific posters here. I will say what the others are probably thinking: have some respect and know your place. say whatever you want about cinema. but don't be bashing people who have been here for ten years over their signatures....I wasn't gonna say anytjing at first, but you persisted. I don't mean anything personal. just a suggestion (then again, you're probably DJ or Groggy using an alias for laughs.... or to stoke controversy ;-)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9576 on: October 10, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

Thanks drinks. It's a long and hallowed tradition on SLWB to have oversized signature pictures. Just ask Firecracker.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9577 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »

I enjoyed this very much (much more than it's "part1", ie. GAOKC), the pace is much quicker on this one, they're on the move a lot, great scenery, Robards is good as Doc. Garner and Lancaster are pretty much a wash as Wyatt, though I may give Garner a slight edge.... Kirk Douglas as Doc is an iconic performance unmatched anywhere (I don't wanna hear about Val Kilmer).....

I'm not a huge fan of Gunfight for reasons elaborated elsewhere, but it has no pretensions beyond being a fun Hollywood Western. I still think Lancaster and Douglas should have switched roles but that's just me.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: October 10, 2011, 12:38:06 PM »

In effect, both Tombstone (1993) and Wyatt Earp (1994) compress time so that the two events -- Morgan's murder and Virgil's arm crippling -- take place on the same night. But at least the murder and arm crippling are depicted, which is definitely a step forward. Actually, Hour of the Gun was the first to do this. Wyatt Earp depicts the location of the gunfight correctly -- in an alley between two buildings situated behind the corral. But for every historical fact conveyed, there are a dozen historical inaccuracies in each film. Too many to tally up.

I don't insist on historical accuracy in westerns. When telling stories about real people and actual events, film makers should make an effort to be historically informed and factually accurate insofar as is possible. But I realize that it is impossible to do 100%.

Some things are not impossible, however. Take wardrobe for instance. During that era, pants did not have belt loops and shirts did not have pockets. Not until about 1900 do you start seeing pockets on shirts and belt loops on pants, and then rarely until the 1910s. That kind of accuracy doesn't even cost money. But it does require a well-informed mind and someone who cares enough to get the details right. This renders 95% of westerns historically inaccurate.

Study this faded and worn 1870s image. It shows where the actual gunfight took place. The photo is taken from the back of the buildings looking toward the front. The gunfight took place deep in the frame, at the front of the alley, where the buildings face the street. The smaller building on your left is a miner's cabin. That building on your right is Fly's Boarding House; on the other side of it would be the O.K. Corral and Livery Stable. Parallel with the camera, and out of frame on the right, would be Fly's Photo Gallery. The smaller building on your left is a miner's cabin. I wish the mule bearing firewood were not in the photo, but we're stuck with it.

Richard

Nice post and image  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: October 10, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

Richard--W: welcome to the board. but with all due respect, i don't think it is proper forr you to come onto the board and start bashing one of the longest-tenured and prolific posters here. I will say what the others are probably thinking: have some respect and know your place. say whatever you want about cinema. but don't be bashing people who have been here for ten years over their signatures....I wasn't gonna say anytjing at first, but you persisted. I don't mean anything personal. just a suggestion (then again, you're probably DJ or Groggy using an alias for laughs.... or to stoke controversy ;-)

Richard W has a dry sense of humor, always tells the truth, and is confrontational by nature. Can't be helped.

In time, you will come to recognize my sense of humor and to look forward to it, I assure you.

Why doesn't Groggy show a little class and consideration for others and get rid of that obnoxious nerd image?
It does nothing for the board, on the contrary, it makes the board look very _______ (foolish?).
I realize that Groggy is probably very young and full of juice, but is there some kind of Ignore Function so that I don't have to look at the obnoxious nerd all the time?
Normally I would say nothing, but that particular image of a nerdy film critic pushes my buttons, to say nothing about abusing the Signature Photo option. Looking at that image all the time is like substituting it for Sergio Leone.

Richard

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9580 on: October 10, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »

If it were an issue of minor details you might be right. Changing historical events in a manner that makes them less interesting than what really happened is pretty unforgivable, as I'd argue is the case here.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: October 10, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »

Why doesn't Groggy show a little class and consideration for others and get rid of that obnoxious nerd image?
It does nothing for the board, on the contrary, it makes the board look very _______ (foolish?).
I realize that Groggy is probably very young and full of juice, but is there some kind of Ignore Function so that I don't have to look at the obnoxious nerd all the time?
Normally I would say nothing, but that particular image of a nerdy film critic pushes my buttons, to say nothing about abusing the Signature Photo option. Looking at that image all the time is like substituting it for Sergio Leone.
You do go on.

If the sigs bother you so much, why don't you start a thread Groggy and others won't want to come on and spread their cyber pollution? Call it something like, oh, I dunno, Richard W.'s Mini Reviews.

And I'd take care throwing words like "class" and "consideration" around here. Language like that could get your butt kicked.

Meanwhile, all this talk of Hour of the Gun has got me riled up. I think I may have to take my disc for a spin this evening . . . .

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:49:40 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: October 10, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

Anyway, welcome to the board. I've seen your posts on other sites and they tend to be informed and thoughtful. I think you're contributions here will enrich the proceedings. Glad to know ya. But lighten up.

I actually have a lot of things to say and a lot of posts in mind but I really can't tolerate that cartoon of a nerdy film critic. It is an insult to Sergio Leone who should be accorded respect, it is a criticism of this forum, and a put-down of everyone's posts. Talk about bad manners, that image of a nerd who talks gibberish about movies is very bad manners on a film forum.

You do go on.

If the sigs bother you so much, why don't you start a thread Groggy and others won't want to come on and spread their cyber pollution? Call it something like, oh, I dunno, Richard W.'s Mini Reviews.

And I'd take care throwing words like "class" and "consideration" around here. Language like that could get your butt kicked.

You do go on yourself, don't you Dave Jenkins.
Obviously, Groggy and his nerd are very important to you.
You seem to think so much of Groggy and his Sig, why don't you start a Groggy thread?
That way every point of view will meet with your approval.

All right.

Very well.

This is Groggy's house, and all the rights are his.

I withdraw.

I'll come back when the nerd is replaced or when Groggy grows the hell up, whichever comes first.

Richard

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: October 10, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »

i happen to agree that some of these signatures are pretty ridiculous in size, particularly Firecracker's. frankly, it is annoying to have to scroll through half a page every time he writes one line. but that still doesn't justify someone walking onto the boards and giving shit to long-time members. I give you credit for not getting on him too bad.... btw, i once tried to upload an image but was unable to, not sure why. i sure ain't tech savvy. eventually i gave up and just decided that my sparsity will be my "signature." (along with my obnoxiousness)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:32:03 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9584 on: October 10, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

You're the one who demands I change my signature because you don't like it. You're not in a position to play the victim card, hoss.

Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM