Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:18:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760903 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9600 on: October 16, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »

The object of his hatred is dead, what further need does he have of it?

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: October 16, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »

I've never seen Mangano, before, when I read the cast list I confused her with Anna Mangani, boy was I surprised  Afro I'm sure titoli can tell us which other films of her's to pursue.

Oh, my Godd: Magnani for Mangano?

Anyway, The Scientific Cardplayer is worth watching and apparently an english version available. La grande guerra is another one, though her part is small. Ulysses is still a good entertainment.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: October 16, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

The object of his hatred is dead, what further need does he have of it?

as I recall, in the last line of the movie, Ryan's girl asks him "who's going to tell his wife?" and Ryan responds "I will." That is a clear indication that Ryan has made peace with Heflin. (You wouldn't have any interest in bearing any news to the wife of your sworn enemy, would you?) So Ryan, who has endured immeasurable pain and suffering for years because of Heflin, and has harbored an incredibly deep hatred for him and dedicated his life toward vengeance, suddenly now is at peace with Heflin, just cuz Heflin, wracked with guilt, took a bullet for him? Sorry, that didn't work for me

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:05:45 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: October 16, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »

as I recall, in the last line of the movie, Ryan's girl asks him "who's going to tell his wife?" and Ryan responds "I will." That is a clear indication that Ryan has made peace with Heflin. You wouldn't have any interest in telling the wife of your sworn enemy, would you? So Ryan, who has endured immeasurable pain and suffering for years, and harbored an incredibly deep hatred for Heflin, suddenly now is at peace with him because he is dead? Sorry, that didn't work for me
Live a few more years, then get back to me.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: October 16, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

Oh, my Godd: Magnani for Mangano?

Anyway, The Scientific Cardplayer is worth watching and apparently an english version available. La grande guerra is another one, though her part is small. Ulysses is still a good entertainment.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9605 on: October 16, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »

(You wouldn't have any interest in bearing any news to the wife of your sworn enemy, would you?)

Is Jenkins even married? I don't see how I can answer this question.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9606 on: October 16, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »

Doc - 5/10 - Not as bad as I was afraid it would be, but very much a '70s revisionist Western through and through. There are a few things to recommend this one: the opening scene at the trading post is wonderfully tense and well-shot, the art direction has a wonderfully rough-hewn and authentic look, Stacey Keach's performance is great and there's plenty of familiar Almerian scenery to admire. But the narrative is sloppy, the dialogue is often cringeworthy (Keach and Dunaway's conversation about farting comes to mind), the supporting cast mediocre at best and the romance angle trite. The historical bias/inaccuracy didn't bother me until the final gunfight, which is just absurdly over-the-top.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: October 16, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »

Hell's Half Acre (1954) surprisingly entertaining for a Noir film I've never heard of with Wendle Corey, Evelyn Keyes, Marie Windsor, Elsa Lanchester, and Jessie White. 7/10

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:08:23 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: October 18, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »

Doc - 5/10 - Not as bad as I was afraid it would be, but very much a '70s revisionist Western through and through. There are a few things to recommend this one: the opening scene at the trading post is wonderfully tense and well-shot, the art direction has a wonderfully rough-hewn and authentic look, Stacey Keach's performance is great and there's plenty of familiar Almerian scenery to admire. But the narrative is sloppy, the dialogue is often cringeworthy (Keach and Dunaway's conversation about farting comes to mind), the supporting cast mediocre at best and the romance angle trite. The historical bias/inaccuracy didn't bother me until the final gunfight, which is just absurdly over-the-top.

I thought it was a terrible film; IMO a "5" is a generous rating. I recall enjoying the Almeria Locations, and it was another of those perfect bad-girl roles for Faye Dunaway, who was great when cast properly. Otherwise, a terrible movie

Groggy: how about posting something here to revive this awesome thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10140.msg146070#msg146070  Afro

p.s. Does anyone know if they used the El Paso set from FAFDM?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: October 20, 2011, 07:17:43 AM »

The Robber (2010) - 8/10. An Austrian film with plenty of nice photography taken in and around Vienna, this film ("based on the novel of the true story") depicts a man (Andreas Lust) who robs banks and runs marathons. Which one is the vocation and which the avocation remains ambiguous, as it turns out that both activities are ways of keeping himself apart from a culture he despises (he never attempts to spend the money he robs). Sympathy for his position builds gradually, effectively--when the character finally snapped and did something horrible to his parole officer, I cheered. This film could have been titled "Run" and would make a good double-bill with Drive, although if Refn's effort can be described as Euro-Scorcese, The Robber would have to be called Euro-Kubrick.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: October 20, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »

The Big Combo (1955) 9/10 upon third viewing (after a lot of Noirs under the belt that previous)
The Scar (Hollow Triumph) (1948) another John Alton lit & photographed Noir looks great, story was OK, will review later 7/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9611 on: October 22, 2011, 04:50:30 AM »

Escape From Ft. Bravo - 6/10 - William Holden is a hardass commander of a Union POW camp in Arizona; John Forsyth is a Confederate POW leader hatching an escape plan; Eleanor Parker is a pretty gal enlisted to distract Holden from Forsyth's scheming. Throw in some Mescalero Apaches and director John Sturges and you'd think you have a cracking good Western. Unfortunately, the film is as uneven and incongruous as its matching daytime location shooting with night time sets, with a loopy plot and really forced characterization. They keep telling us Holden is a heartless bastard, but they never bother to show us why, and having Parker go from a resourceful frontier gal to a blubbering love interest in the final reels is inexcusable. To be sure, Sturges stages the physical action well, and when the film settles into its Lost Patrol-type siege finale it becomes compelling. But overall it feels like a good story with a lot of unrealized potential.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: October 22, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »

But overall it feels like a good story with a lot of unrealized potential.
A potential Peckinpah detected and exploited, perhaps?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9613 on: October 22, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »

It's obvious Peckinpah (or his writers) saw Fort Bravo and used it as a reference point for Major Dundee, as they share a few set-pieces (namely the Dixie scene highlighted on the Dundee thread), but the overall plots aren't too similar. Robert Wise's Two Flags West sounds like a more appropriate analogue.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: October 22, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »

The Lion King - 10/10

I have never seen it as a child. My parents were too lazy to take me to the cinema.

This is epic, beautiful and quite dark despite the added humor. Hamlet in any form is still Hamlet!

I cried. A lot.

Also, Shenzi is totally like Bellatrix Lestrange (or Bellatrix was modeled after her). And Scar? Hilariously awesome. His Villain Song is just the best.

Bonus: I watched it dubbed in Hungarian. Back then we had amazing stage actors doing dubs, and guess who's Mufasa here? Frank's Hungarian voice! And Scar is Cheyenne's voice actor. I ROFL'd.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM