Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:28:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768925 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9630 on: October 27, 2011, 06:33:07 AM »

Afraid to Talk / aka Merry-Go-Round (1932) - 7/10. This pre-code tale of city corruption is a real corker. When a bellboy witnesses the murder of a notorious gangster, he is, against his better judgement, persuaded by an assistant DA (Louis Calhern, at his reptilian best) to testify. The ADA promises the bellboy he'll receive all the protection he needs. He gets it too, until the murderer, another gangland chief, reveals why he had his rival rubbed out: the guy was carrying info incriminating the corrupt Mayor and top members of his administration. Now that he's holding this material, the mobster (Edward Arnold) uses it as his Get Out of Jail Free card. But Louis Calhern has a problem; if Arnold walks, who will take the rap for the murder? Hmmm, well, that bellboy who was gonna testify WAS found at the scene of the crime . . . . better bring him back in for more questioning! A great 3rd Degree scene follows (which, CJ, includes a swinging light routine). Eventually virtue triumphs, but a very cynical ending suggests that the victory is only temporary. This film gets a heck of a lot of plot into a 69 minute running time, and even packs in a number of laughs. I saw a restored version projected at MOMA today that looked fabulous; I hope it's coming to DVD.

Sounds interesting.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: October 27, 2011, 07:59:19 AM »

The Lion King 2 - 4/10

This was bloody unnecessary.

I watched it to understand a long comic series that goes from the childhood of Ahadi (grandpa lion), to post-TLK2, and while I love the characters in the comic, the film was not too impressive.

The songs annoyed me. Except My Lullaby, that was close to the old glory... but there was no real drama in this. Also, missed the Hyenas. And I don't really like Timon and Pumbaa, they're nothing but comic relief.

Also, Kovu's "hairstyle" is so stupid.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »

The Lion King 2 - 4/10

I am the very picture of astonishment.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9633 on: October 27, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »

The Lion King 2 - 4/10

I watched it to understand a long comic series that goes from the childhood of Ahadi (grandpa lion), to post-TLK2, and while I love the characters in the comic, the film was not too impressive.

The songs annoyed me. Except My Lullaby, that was close to the old glory... but there was no real drama in this. Also, missed the Hyenas. And I don't really like Timon and Pumbaa, they're nothing but comic relief.

Also, Kovu's "hairstyle" is so stupid.

I didn't even like that as a kid.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: October 28, 2011, 12:39:56 AM »

Johnny Guitar (1954) 5/10

hardly any redeeming value here whatsoever. The gang's house was an interesting set and Borgnine is always good. These are desperate attempts by me to find anything about this movie that was not excruciating. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie at all costs.

btw I believe Frayling has said that the Bronson character walking around with a harmonica in OUATITW was a reference to Johny Guitar, but I'd bet it's at least as likely that it was actually inspired by the Bronson character playing a harmonica in Vera Cruz. Just a guess.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:42:20 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: October 28, 2011, 05:12:56 AM »

hardly any redeeming value here whatsoever. The gang's house was an interesting set and Borgnine is always good. These are desperate attempts by me to find anything about this movie that was not excruciating. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie at all costs.

btw I believe Frayling has said that the Bronson character walking around with a harmonica in OUATITW was a reference to Johny Guitar, but I'd bet it's at least as likely that it was actually inspired by the Bronson character playing a harmonica in Vera Cruz. Just a guess.

You got it about right, the story line is lifted for OUTITW obviously, and the model town., and the good cup of coffee line, too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: October 28, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »

Raw Deal shot in John Alton "sewerscope" finally got a DVD copy of this 10/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: October 28, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

I believe there's an even more likely reference, although I've never seen the film. There's supposedly a film with a mute Indian boy (Bronson) who plays a harmonica to communicate. Or something.

You're right about JG, except you scored it too high. A complete waste of the talent involved. More like a "2" or a "3", I think.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9638 on: October 28, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »

I think Run of the Arrow is the Bronson flick you're thinking of Jenkins.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9639 on: October 28, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »

Exodus - 8/10 - A three-and-a-half hour epic with little action or spectacle ought to be boring but Otto Preminger pulls it off. A perfect cast, superb score and wonderfully structured story make for a really impressive film. Occasionally the movie gets too emphatic in its humanism, but Dalton Trumbo is the right scenarist for bleeding heart liberalism. Will probably irritate a lot of modern viewers for its unabashed pro-Zionism but who cares?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: October 28, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »

Exodus - 8/10 - A three-and-a-half hour epic with little action or spectacle ought to be boring but Otto Preminger pulls it off. A perfect cast, superb score and wonderfully structured story make for a really impressive film. Occasionally the movie gets too emphatic in its humanism, but Dalton Trumbo is the right scenarist for bleeding heart liberalism. Will probably irritate a lot of modern viewers for its unabashed pro-Zionism but who cares?
Yeah, this works better than I expected it to. And it pairs well with my other favorite pro-Zionist film, Paul Verhoeven's Black Book.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: October 29, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »

Rum Diary (2011) - 3/10. I like looking at images of sunny Puerto Rico and images of sunny Ms. Amber Heard, and when the film features either of those (or even both at the same time) it is a success. However, when it tries to tell its story (based on a Hunter S. Thompson novel) it becomes a complete bore. This is more-or-less an origin story: how our Thompson-like hero (Johnny Dipp) became, in the early 60s, Gonzo Journalism Man and put "the forces of darkness on notice." Note that evil wasn't even challenged, let alone defeated, merely that it was called out. Such a modest project can't possibly generate much in the way of dramatic interest, so there's plenty of sex and alcohol and profanity and down-with-The-Man sloganeering thrown in. This is an R-rated film for junior highschool kids (appropriate, perhaps, as Thompson wrote R-rated prose for the same demographic). Adults will find it dull.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9642 on: October 29, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »

So far as I can tell that film is just another excuse for Depp to play drunk and eccentric. Haven't we had enough of that already?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: October 29, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »

The Hanging Tree - 8/10 - Delmer Daves is great at character-driven Westerns and this is no exception. I saw a lot of bitching about "melodrama" on the pertinent thread but that strikes me as silly when the characters so well-drawn. Gary Cooper is excellent playing against type and the complicated character relationships make for interesting viewing, though the ending is a bit awkward. The cast is excellent save George C. Scott, wasted in a bizarre role. Beautiful photography and a nice score though I could have done without the goofy title song.

so it turns out I had dvr'd the movie when it was played on TCM, and just got around to watching it... it was pan n' scanned but I watched it cuz I know it ain't available otherwise. Interesting. Karl Malden is great

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9644 on: October 29, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »

How do you know that wasn't the OAR? Not all movies were shot in widescreen back in the day.

Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM