Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 05:17:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837843 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9705 on: November 20, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »

Winnie the Pooh (2011) - 6/10 - Has its moments but struggles to recapture the charm of the old cartoons, or even the '90s TV series. Still, in this day and age there's something to be said for hand-drawn animation and Jim Cummings.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:38:06 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »

The Lost Weekend (1945) 7.5/10

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:35:26 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9707 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »

5 Fingers (1952) 7.5/10

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:35:13 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: November 23, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »

'SciusciÓ' (Shoeshine) (1946) Director: Vittorio De Sica, Stars: Rinaldo Smordoni, Franco Interlenghi (Pasquale) and Annielo Mele (Giuseppe) two shoeshine boys save up to buy a horse, they meet Attilio, Giuseeppe's much older brother, and his shady friend at a boat on the Tiber. In return for a commission, the boys agree to deliver black market goods (blankets) to a fortune-teller.

Once the woman has paid, Attilio's gang suddenly arrives. Pretending to be cops, they shake the woman down. With a payoff from Attilio, the boys are able to make the final payment and stable their horse in Trastevere over the river.  But the fortune-teller identifies Pasqua and Giuse. Held at an overcrowded boys' prison, they are separated. Giuse falls under the influence of an older lad in his cell, Arcangeli. During interrogation, Pasqua is tricked into betraying Giuse's brother to the police.

Entertaining but sad and tragic film 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: November 23, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »

'SciusciÓ' (Shoeshine) (1946)

Entertaining but sad and tragic film 8/10

Then don't ever watch Umberto D.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

Then don't ever watch Umberto D.

I've seen that, its just as sad, yes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:12 PM »

Huh? The old man and his dog are reunited at the end. Maybe their future looks bleak, but at least they've got each other. There's a measure--just--of hope at the end.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: November 24, 2011, 02:30:50 AM »

Here are some results from drama day on TCM yesterday -- hat tip cigar joe  Afro

a) Lightning Strikes Twice (1951)  7/10

Ruth Roman was such a sweet little girl. She's very different from your classic smoking hot Hollywood starlet with long blond hair etc., there's just something so sweet about her

b) Down Three Dark Streets (1954)  6.5/10

c) The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)  8/10

Lana Turner was definitely that smoking hot Hollywood starlet! I believe this is the first movie I have seen with either of them, and the casting was great all around.

I also saw Kiss Me Deadly (1955) which I then found out is sort of sci-fi and I'll thus refrain from rating it, cuz I am not a sci-fi guy.

Yup, hardly did anything all day but sit in bed and watch movies, then watch a Ranger game at night (actually, I passed out, so watching it now at 3:57 AM on dvr). No  better way to spend a day: movies all day, sports at nite  Smiley

btw, in addition to these 4 movies, I began watching several others that were so bad, I shut 'em off a few minutes in:
one was a Rod Steiger Western called Run of the Arrow (1957) Steiger's always great, but this movie was awful, despite a poignant opening scene; another was Ten Little Indians (1965), which  veered so far  from the book (the book is called And Then There Were None in America) and was so obnoxious, I also shut it off after just a few minutes.

on that note...
The book And Then There Were None is due for a re-make. Done well, I am sure it would make a great movie.
the 1945 movie "And Then There Were None" was [as far as I can remember, and I haven't read the book in over ten years] pretty darn close to the book, with the EGREGIOUS exception of the ending, which is the whole fucking point of the book! In this movie, only 8 of them die, and the 2 who survive discover at the last moment who the killer was. This absolutely egregious, despicable, ridiculous, ludicrous, change of the ending makes this a horrible movie. The whole point of the movie is that no one can possibly figure out who the killer was (until they discover the bottle in the ocean).

I really hope someone gives this book another shot at a movie. It is one of my favorite books, and I am sure that if it is done well and remains faithful to the book, it can be a great movie  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:36:29 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: November 24, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »

The book And Then There Were None is due for a re-make. Done well, I am sure it would make a great movie.
the 1945 movie "And Then There Were None" was [as far as I can remember, and I haven't read the book in over ten years] pretty darn close to the book, with the EGREGIOUS exception of the ending, which is the whole fucking point of the book! In this movie, only 8 of them die, and the 2 who survive discover at the last moment who the killer was. This absolutely egregious, despicable, ridiculous, ludicrous, change of the ending makes this a horrible movie. The whole point of the movie is that no one can possibly figure out who the killer was (until they discover the bottle in the ocean).

I really hope someone gives this book another shot at a movie. It is one of my favorite books, and I am sure that if it is done well and remains faithful to the book, it can be a great movie  Smiley
Let's see, there are at least 3 versions: '45, '65, and '74. Sounds to me like you haven't seen '74, which you may want to do. There's also an Avenger's TV episode that does its own riff on the material (the killer has a double). It's been years since I've seen any of these (and I don't think I've ever seen '45), and I don't remember much, except that the twist is that one of the victims is actually the murderer.

The problem with Agatha Christie adaptations is that they are ONLY about the plot, and once you know the story there isn't much pleasure in seeing it re-enacted. This is the problem with whodunits generally.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: November 24, 2011, 05:13:11 AM »

Let's see, there are at least 3 versions: '45, '65, and '74. Sounds to me like you haven't seen '74, which you may want to do. There's also an Avenger's TV episode that does its own riff on the material (the killer has a double). It's been years since I've seen any of these (and I don't think I've ever seen '45), and I don't remember much, except that the twist is that one of the victims is actually the murderer.

The problem with Agatha Christie adaptations is that they are ONLY about the plot, and once you know the story there isn't much pleasure in seeing it re-enacted. This is the problem with whodunits generally.

IMO one of the great pleasures of this book is the final chapter, where Scotland Yard is going over the various scenarios, and finds it absolutely impossible to figure out who is the killer. And then reading the prologue with the message in the bottle. That stuff is brilliant. The '45 movie killed that all completely. This is not a simple whodunit. It's really a great book, in how the killer is indeed one of the the guests who dies, but the whole point is that he did it in a way that nobody could figure out who it was. True, considering that so many people have read the book, the movie may not be interesting to them no matter how well it is done, but who knows... I saw "Murder on the Orient Express" -- I had never read the book -- and enjoyed the movie very much, though I don't know if I'd be interested in seeing it again. Then again, there aren't many movies -- including those that I LOVE -- that I am very interested in seeing multiple times. Leone's (among a few others, such as Hannibal) are rare exceptions. As I write this, I am in middle of watching a Leone movie (DYS) with Frayling's commentary. A great pleasure I have engaged in numerous times  Smiley Smiley Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: November 24, 2011, 05:58:38 AM »

Most of Agatha christie novels have the same structure.
A murder has happened and everybody is suspicious, but the culprit is always one who is there, but only at the side of the plot and who is never one of the suspects, who seems to be not part of the story, only for that he becomes the usual surprise for the ending when he is revealed as the murderer  (which of course ain't a surprise for everybody who has read more than 3 crime novels).
In the films it is even easier to guess as the murderer is always played by a more famous actor.

Christie's most famous novels are then those in which she broke this convention.
Ten Little Indians, in which everybody is a suspect, but at the end also everybody is dead.
Murder on the Orient Express, in which everybody is a suspect, but also everybody was it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: November 24, 2011, 07:02:42 AM »

Huh? The old man and his dog are reunited at the end. Maybe their future looks bleak, but at least they've got each other. There's a measure--just--of hope at the end.

I was talking about the suicide attempt portion of the end.  Cry

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: November 24, 2011, 07:17:12 AM »

I also saw Kiss Me Deadly (1955) which I then found out is sort of sci-fi and I'll thus refrain from rating it, cuz I am not a sci-fi guy.

Huh???, Its supposed to be extremely high radioactive material, nothing really science fiction, I think the sound effects may have given you that impression, grasshopper.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: November 24, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »

Huh???, Its supposed to be extremely high radioactive material, nothing really science fiction, I think the sound effects may have given you that impression, grasshopper.

yeah, not literally science fiction, but from the moment early on that he is taken away from the car with the girl and they are tortured by these anonymous figures, the movie has a certain "not right" feel to it, that I began suspecting was some sort of "fantasy" elements. fit real well with the material that I know was radioactive, but it may still fit into a broad sci-fi/fantasy genre. at least some people consider it as such http://www.filmsite.org/kiss.html

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:04:06 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9719 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »

yeah, not literally science fiction, but from the moment early on that he is taken away from the car with the girl and they are tortured by these anonymous figures, the movie has a certain "not right" feel to it, that I began suspecting was some sort of "fantasy" elements. fit real well with the material that I know was radioactive, but it may still fit into a board sci-fi/fantasy genre. at least some people consider it as such http://www.filmsite.org/kiss.html

I also think the end is supposed to be a bit stylistic, tapping into the "fear of the bomb" in the USA was going through during the late fifties. Altman shows the house burning, but it wouldn't explode, in reality the material would probably melt down through the sand until the seawater table then emit radioactive steam until enough water came in contact with it to cool it down.

Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM