Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 11:04:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830394 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9735 on: December 04, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »

The Onion Field - 8/10 - Intense, slow-burning true crime film/psychodrama with shades of In Cold Blood and Zodiac. The first hour is chillingly suspenseful but the film starts to drift towards the end; in the second half, there's arguably too much focus on the crooks and not enough on John Savage's mental deterioration. Savage does nice work; James Woods is incredible as a small-time psycho who makes Max seem well-adjusted; Ted Danson gets shot in the face.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: December 04, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

Des hommes et des dieux / Of Gods and Men (2010) - French Trappist monks in Algeria await martyrdom at the hands of Islamic rebels. Given that the film signals early on where it's headed, it sure takes its sweet time getting there. And in the end, the movie is little more than Surrender Monkey propaganda. But that's not its greatest sin: the use of Tchaikovsky during a "last supper" to generate the pathos the scene can't earn on its own creates one of the most mawkish moments in recent cinema. That said, the rest of the music used throughout --Christian chants--is both appropriate and beautiful. Not beautiful enough to save the picture, though.

Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle (1987) 7/10. First 21st Century Viewing. A very slight effort by Eric Rohmer, but good fun nonetheless. Two young women meet while vacationing in the French countryside and decide to become flatmates in Paris. Their "adventures" are the stuff of daily life: encounters with panhandlers, shoplifters, shifty art gallary owners (one of the girls is a painter). My favorite vignette, though, is the one involving the cafe waiter from hell. As always, Rohmer's characters, and their conversations, are extremely well observed.

Mon oncle d'Amerique (1980) 8/10. First 21st Century Viewing. Professor Henri Laborit--as himself--uses the lives of three fictional characters (one played by Gerard Depardieu) to illustrate his behavioral theories of survival, conditioning, combat, and anxiety. This Alain Resnais film starts out pretty much as a filmed essay, gradually adding the narative material until the stories dominate, but always retaining its didactic elements. It's behaviorist propaganda, but hella entertaining. The success of the film is all down to Resnais's use of montage--man, can that guy edit! But as artfully constructed as the film is, it loses points for having an unpersuasive thesis. Although behaviorism can explain a lot about human activity, it doesn't have much to offer on the subject of why people create art, literature, music, and yes, movies like this one (Laborit makes a statement about the human propensity to use language to cover unconcious impulses, as if that is all that language is--at which point I wanted to tell the learned professor he needed to get out more, maybe even to see a Rohmer film). Nonetheless, this is an engrossing movie.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: December 04, 2011, 10:56:25 PM »

I can accept that some people don't enjoy my signature.
People are allowed to think whatever they want.
However, I will not hear someone tell me that mine is a bad signature.
I know better than them.
Anyone who doesn't think Cotton Hill belongs in my signature is a rude, pathologically insane know-it-all feminist hillbilly asshole with a narrow urethra and is probably a Communist too.

Also they're probably just jealous of my ability to use Google image search to find cool sigs.
Groggy Dubya

There would be more participation and a more active membership if people didn't have to wade through posts like the above. Groggy has turned The Sergio Leone Forum into his own private blog. His website blog isn't enough for him. 8,700+ endless putdowns, insults, bullying, sarcasm, and the most asinine, infantile behavior. Anyone who posts 8,700 times in the same forum sets the tone and attitude by which it is known. This is the conduct everybody sees when they come here. The above is what the Sergio Leone Forum is known for. The website owner should ask himself if the example above is really the forum he wants.

This forum would open up and be a cheerier place if Groggy took a vacation.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:20:51 AM by Richard--W » Logged

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9738 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:17 AM »

Dick, you're killing me here. With your complete lack of humor, humility or self-awareness you're always good for a laugh. Keep it up! Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:12:47 AM by Groggy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:17 AM »

Well, yes, these signatures are indeed oversized and make the threads look a bit cluttered. But you get used to them after only 2 years, and after 5 years you won't live without them. Wink

But Richard, actually as a board member you don't have to watch them as you can simply disable them.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:19:20 AM by stanton » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9740 on: December 05, 2011, 05:21:57 AM »

In all seriousness though, it's pretty clear the problem is on your end Dick.

You went berserk over a signature picture, threw a hissy fit when I wouldn't change it at your diktat and threatened to leave the board. If my responses were flippant it's because, well, who really cares about a signature? I change mine every few months anyway and it's hardly something to go ape-poopy over.

You responded to a joking nickname (last time I checked Dick was a nickname for Richard) like I called your mother a whore.

When I attempted to engage you in civil discussion, even complimenting you on multiple occasions, you ignored those posts. Instead, you dug up a three-year old thread specifically to insult me.

You haven't done anything but be an asshole since coming on these boards. Besides your complete lack of humor, you constantly proclaim your superiority to anyone with a remotely differing opinion. I'm sure you noticed all the insults I employed were used by you against me or others. I'd be more interested in your posters if Mike Siegel hadn't been providing the same thing for years without the side of irascible dickishness.

I don't know how they do things over at Criterion form but this has always been a very informal board. People like to take friendly jabs at each other and joke around. This has been explained to you many times by myself and others and you still don't get it. If that's not your cup of tea then you're welcome to leave.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:05:52 AM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:03 AM »

There would be more participation and a more active membership if people didn't have to wade through posts like the above. Groggy has turned The Sergio Leone Forum into his own private blog. His website blog isn't enough for him. 8,700+ endless putdowns, insults, bullying, sarcasm, and the most asinine, infantile behavior. Anyone who posts 8,700 times in the same forum sets the tone and attitude by which it is known. This is the conduct everybody sees when they come here. The above is what the Sergio Leone Forum is known for. The website owner should ask himself if the example above is really the forum he wants.

This forum would open up and be a cheerier place if Groggy took a vacation.

We've been very patient with you, R.W., but you really have crossed a line here. This board has been operating for many years, and Groggy has been on it longer than I and many others. As far as I'm concerned, he, and anyone, can post whatever they want--that's what makes the board unique. The one thing that is NOT acceptable is someone coming on and telling others to shut up. Especially some guy who just rode into town.

If you aren't happy with the board, make your contribution to alter it, or go elsewhere. I'm sure the stiffs at HomeTheaterForum and the pedants at CriterionForum have the kind of site you're looking for.

Sorry, but it has to be said: Quit being such a prick.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: December 05, 2011, 06:06:40 AM »

We've been very patient with you, R.W., but you really have crossed a line here. This board has been operating for many years, and Groggy has been on it longer than I and many others. As far as I'm concerned, he, and anyone, can post whatever they want--that's what makes the board unique. The one thing that is NOT acceptable is someone coming on and telling others to shut up. Especially some guy who just rode into town.

If you aren't happy with the board, make your contribution to alter it, or go elsewhere. I'm sure the stiffs at HomeTheaterForum and the pedants at CriterionForum have the kind of site you're looking for.

Sorry, but it has to be said: Quit being such a prick.

you mean all that bs is serious?  Shocked

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9743 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »

Thanks Jinkies. The mind boggles at how Richard might have dealt with Firecracker, RR Power or Tucumcari Bound had he shown up a year or two earlier. Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »

Richard W:

I'll throw in my two cents as well, for the final time:

You have made very nice contributions to this board, when you have kept it to discussions of movies.

I have been on this board for about 16 months now, and I absolutely love it -- this is a very friendly place, and even the occasional jab is taken in good fun.

And we love having new members who add something to the board. Your knowledge of cinema and Western history seems to be terrific. And I commend you for that and thank you for sharing it with us, and I hope you continue to do so.

But just a few days or so after you join the boards, you take a very rude shot at a member who is one of the most long-running and prolific posters. Whether you are right or wrong substantively (and I don't think there is really any absolute "right" or "wrong" in this matter; it's a matter of opinion and custom), I don't think it is appropriate for someone to walk on and start whining about a veteran's signature. Expressing your opinion is one thing, but you were real whiny, talking about how it's a disgrace to Sergio Leone and you are leaving the board till he changes the sig (which turned out to be an empty "threat" -- Jack Kemp once said "Never take a hostage you aren't prepared to shoot").

And as stanton said in a previous post, simply go to your profile and change your settings, you can make that you don't see anyone's signatures.

I am not a veteran around here, but in my experiences I have virtually never been disrespected, and certainly never from Groggy. He is a great dude and adds a lot to the board. Any jesting is all in good fun.

So after you left the boards for a few days and then returned, I hoped all would be done with. But then I crack a joke to  Groggy about how he should change his sig or I'm leaving the board, and he responds how "no one will tell him it's a bad sig" -- These are taken directly from your previous posts. IT'S A JOKE. A JOKE. A JOKE. GET A SENSE OF HUMOR, PLEASE. AT LEAST PRETEND.

Personally, I also think that some sigs are way too big (not Groggy's, but Firecracker's definitely is. Takes up half a page for each post!)  I never mentioned that before you started this whole bullshit by telling Groggy his sig was a disgrace to Sergio Leone  -- because I know my place. I am also a relative newcomer, and I don't come in somewhere and start criticizing people. Sure, you can argue whatever you want to about movies.  But stop with your personal bullshit already. It's ridiculous. I once commented in response to a post of yours, saying I didn't like High Noon, and your response was something like "I won't let anyone tell me High Noon is  bad movie because I know that it isn't true." DUDE, IT'S ALL A IT'S A MATTER OF OPINION. STOP THE WHINING, PLEASE.

Also,  I do believe that Groggy's calling you Dick is inappropriate -- even though it is the standard nickname for Richard, there is a negative connotation in this case -- but you've been asking for it.

Note that this is not simply a "veteran vs. rookie" issue. I strongly believe that everyone has to respect everyone else, regardless of longevity. But you crossed that line -- you could have simply said, "Groggy, I find your post to be too big and annoying. Would you mind changing it?" That is how I would have said it if I had felt that way -- and this never would have happened if you had said it that way -- rather than saying it was a "disgrace" to Sergio Leone and threatening to leave the boards on account of it. How you say something is as important as what you say  Smiley

If your comment about Groggy's sig was done in a joking way, we'd never be having this ridiculous conversation. But it was clearly meant very seriously. When I called you out on it at the time, your response was something like "That's me, I say what I think no matter what." Well if that's the case, others do that too. As Little Caesar said, "You can sure dish it out but it's getting so you can't take it!"  Wink  It is incredible how is that you start this nonsense with personal attacks, proudly proclaim that you say whatever the hell you want to, and then you whine about how uncivil other people are. Imagine how you'd have reacted if someone else would have made those comments re: your signature that you made to Groggy  Grin Grin Grin

Anyway, here is my summation with 4 suggestions. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

a) Take it easy. Try to smile a little more  Smiley

b) Change your profile settings to make it that you can't view anyone's signature.

c) You have a very good knowledge of movies and have made very meaningful posts when you stick to talking about movies. So please stick to that, and not to personal attacks. And when one person gives an occasional jab  that is clearly meant in a joking way, laugh  Grin Of course you can give the occasional jab as well, if it is clearly meant as good fun and not personal

So let's forget this happened and not waste much more time discussing it. If you resolve to move on and forget it and take it easy and stick to movies, I am sure Groggy will stop calling you Dick and all will be well. None of the negative comments directed at you were ever in response to any of your movie posts, only to your personal-attack posts. So let's all stick to discussing movies and no more jabs unless it is clearly done in a kidding way of course, and all will be well. I am sure we can forget this all.

Again, your posts RE: movies have contributed very much to these boards, and I look forward to your continued positive contributions  Afro

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:44:55 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: December 05, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »

I was referring to the content of  groggy's posts, not to the signatures. But since you mention it, anyone who needs to decorate his posts with all those cartoons is demanding too much attention. groggy needs a lot of attention. This website is no longer about Sergio Leone; it's really about Groggy, and what he thinks about everybody and everything. This is groggy's website. He's the bully on the block. His exploitation of the website certainly makes a fool out of the website owner. The owner might as well remove the photo of Sergio Leone from upper left and replace it with groggy's cartoon and "name."

There are what, seven or eight active people here, and you all defer to groggy this infantile hipster as if he were Sergio Leone himself.

If Sergio Leone were here, he'd shoot groggy on sight.

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: December 05, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »

I was referring to the content of  groggy's posts, not to the signatures. But since you mention it, anyone who needs to decorate his posts with all those cartoons is demanding too much attention. groggy needs a lot of attention. This website is no longer about Sergio Leone; it's really about Groggy, and what he thinks about everybody and everything. This is groggy's website. He's the bully on the block. His exploitation of the website certainly makes a fool out of the website owner. The owner might as well remove the photo of Sergio Leone from upper left and replace it with groggy's cartoon and "name."

There are what, seven or eight active people here, and you all defer to groggy this infantile hipster as if he were Sergio Leone himself.

If Sergio Leone were here, he'd shoot groggy on sight.

Richard

Nobody "defers to" anybody; nobody is "the bully on the block"; nobody is "demanding attention," -- there are many people here that have posts larger than Groggy's -- and Sergio Leone would be proud of us.

Anyway, if you are still sore, I am sorry. Go see a shrink, maybe he can cure your sig-phobia. In the meantime, I'd suggest you simply change your profile settings to make it that you can't view anyone's sigs. That should solve all problems. That way, Groggy can continue to feed his incredibly large ego by decorating his narcissistic posts with nonsensical cartoons, and you won't even see it!

Anyway, thanks for the laughs. I mean, seriously, you crack me up. As you crack up Groggy. In all seriousness, I know for a fact that Groggy finds your whining to be hilarious. So how about you don't indulge him anymore? The best revenge you can get on Groggy is not to ever again mention another word about anything other than movies  Afro

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:09:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: December 05, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »

In all seriousness, I know for a fact that Groggy finds your whining to be hilarious. So how about you don't indulge him anymore? The best revenge you can get on Groggy is not to ever again mention another word about anything other than movies  Afro
A rational appeal to a madman will get you nowhere.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: December 05, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »

indeed, dj. I've made my final attemp and that's all :-)... just watched THE WILD BUNCH again. my opinion hasn't changed much from before. i mean, i did like the movie, but the slo-mos still annoyed me. While it is certainly a good movie, I don't consider it among the all-time greats like may of you do.  drinkanddestroy--W

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »

also, in the final shootout, too many of the Bunch live long after they should. for example, at one point we see Oates laughing as he sprays lead from the machine gun, even as we see three bullet holes in his back. Only after he gets hit a few more times does he finally die. After being shot in the back 3 times in the back, he'd either be dead, or perhaps down on the ground writhing in pain and dying. No way could he be laughing and firing the machine gun... every Mexican gets one shot and dead, but none of the Bunch die till they get shot up like Bonnie and Clyde? and Peckinpah was supposed to be the one who put realism in violence? I appreciate that he showed that being shot is a bloody death, but i have serious problems with his depictions as well. also, i did not like the editing of some of the opening shootout. too often, he switched perspectives back and forth so quickly, that you couldn't appreciate any of the shots. like when someone falls off a horse, he switches from side view to victim's pov back to side view back to victim's pov so quickly, i didn't like it.... ultimately, imo it is a very good movie, but not the greatest of all time. I'd consider it about an 8/10

drinkanddestroy--W

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:30:58 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM