Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:58:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769882 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9765 on: December 06, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

Ansatsu/Assassination/The Assassin (1964) 9/10. Fourth fabulous viewing. Shinoda Masahiro's account of the activities of the mysterious Kiyokawa Hachirô (Tanba Tetsuro) in the months leading up to the Meiji Restoration. Although not born a samurai, the historical Kiyokawa was able to acquire samurai skills and open a renowned fencing school. A political agitator, his sympathies were never entirely clear--was he an agent of the Tokugawa Shogunate, or did his sympathies really lie with the Imperial court? The film never answers the question, but it does provide a lot of great b&w widescreen cinematography of guys in robes and funny hats. Will this film appeal to people ignorant of Japanese history? Probably not. Will it appeal to people who admire the scores of Takemitsu Toru? Boy, howdy!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: December 07, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »

The Towering Inferno (1974) 7.5/10

McQueen has far less screen time than I would have expected, and IMO the script didn't allow for full use of his talents. Early on, I wasn't liking it much, but the latter part of the film picked up really well IMO. Watching it, I couldn't help but think of what it must have been like in the Twin Towers on 9/11. God help us

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:29:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: December 07, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »

Just watched Stalag 17 (1953) for the first time. By coincidence, on the 70th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor.

Holden was great, but I am not gonna rate the film, and here's why: I just have a hard time with films that try to infuse comedy into World War II (or any similar situation, for that matter). I know that the movie is based on the play which was written by 2 POW's in the camp, and they certainly know better than I do what it was like there. I have no personal knowledge of that, Thank God. But I just found the comedic parts ridiculous, and frankly uncomfortable. The serious parts, particularly in the latter part of the film, were terrific.

In general, I have a very difficult time with any film that is a revision of history. (I know I know, every Western is a revision of history. But WWII hits home far more than Westerns so, which we really can't relate to in any way; Westerns are more cartoon than reality). And I apologize to all those who worked on the film if my facts are incorrect.

btw, that is also why I couldn't stand  Bridge on the River Kwai: Early on, I was thinking it was an amazing film. But I rolled my eyes through much of the latter part, because:

A) I absolutely could not believe that the Holden character in that movie would initially refuse to go back and do his duty, just cuz he wanted to hang out with his chick; if his services are required for an important mission which only he can do, he'd jump at the chance, rather than basically saying "screw you all, I'm gonna hang out with my babe now."

and

B) the Alec Guiness character basically getting Stockholm Syndrome and doing all he could do build the Japs the best bridge possible, and trying to sabotage the Allies' sabotage attempt -- are you kidding me?

History is too important to be revising it like that. Ask the more than 100,000 Asian civilians and Allied POW's who died -- and the many more who lived -- brutally, while being forced to build the real Burma Railway. Ask the Allied POW's who endured Jap POW camps that rivaled Nazi concentration camps. Ask the Allied POW's who -- when they indeed were forced to work for the Axis war effort -- did all they could to sabotage the projects.

History is sacred, and must not be screwed with. No amount of money justifies that.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:55:21 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9768 on: December 07, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »

You're a strange one.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »

You're a strange one.

You are damn straight about that.

I am strange and principled  Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9770 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:23 AM »

But what a sorry principle. If you're that obsessive over realism why bother watching movies in the first place?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: December 08, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »

D&D, you've pretty much declared against any film with historical/factual content. To stick to your principles, you'd have to skip almost every movie made, to say nothing of Shakespeare (who liked nothing more than changing history).

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: December 08, 2011, 05:32:44 AM »

D&D, somehow I too often get the notion when I read your comments about what annoys you on the behaviour of screen people, that you probably (and I mean probably) don't have much ideas how people act and react in the "real" life.
There is really a big amount of comments (which I too would label often as "strange") from you I never read before about certain films. And your reactions are always very strong, which surely is not a bad thing.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: December 08, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »

D&D, you've pretty much declared against any film with historical/factual content. To stick to your principles, you'd have to skip almost every movie made, to say nothing of Shakespeare (who liked nothing more than changing history).

And if we take his comment about slo mo (people don't die in slo mo in reality) think to its consequence, well, then every b&w film (you might guess it, the real world is full of colors Wink ), every silent film, every fantasy film and also nearly every horror or sience fiction film must be inside the no-go dimension.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9774 on: December 08, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »

D&D, somehow I too often get the notion when I read your comments about what annoys you on the behaviour of screen people, that you probably (and I mean probably) don't have much ideas how people act and react in the "real" life.

Heck, let's leave real life out of the equation; some of these criticisms don't even make sense contextually. Take his comments on Kwai: why would you think Holden's character is duty-bound and patriotic enough to go back to the bridge? The film establishes him as precisely the opposite, a malingering shirker, from the word go. If anything his actions are hard to swallow for the opposite reason.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9775 on: December 08, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »

then every b&w film (you might guess it, the real world is full of colors Wink ),

Not if you're color-blind. Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: December 08, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »

you guys seem to have not really read everything I wrote.

I said very clearly that recent events like WWII hit home far more than does stuff in the Wild West, ergo (to sound like a hipster/Groggy  Wink) Shakespeare's stuff as well. I mean, imagine if someone made a movie with Osama bin Laden as some comedic character; I don't think people will like it. If someone does that in 200 years, maybe people won't care anymore. Who knows. I specifically distinguished WWII from eg. the Western. Stuff that we can relate to somehow is very different. Most of us know people who fought and died in WWII, whether as soldiers or civilians.

I know a man from Poland who went through the worst sort of hell known on this earth -- 5 years of Nazi concentration camps, losing his entire family -- and I remember how he went to see the Broadway play "The Producers" ten years ago. And when I asked him how it was, he said he didn't like it because it a bunch of jokes about Hitler. "There's nothing funny about Hitler!" he said.

This is not simply a question of "realism." I know THERE IS A CERTAIN SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF REQUIRED TO WATCH ANY MOVIE, EVER. I know and understand that. But you can only suspend your disbelief till a certain level; beyond that level, you begin rolling your eyes and saying," this is bullshit." Now, precisely where "that level" is depends on the individual. Perhaps I demand more reality than most people do. But everyone demands it at some level.

eg. dj has recently been involved in some discussions where he complained about how characters act, such as Kirk Douglas's character in Ace in the Hole. You didn't think it's believable the way his character acts. Now while I disagreed with you and thought it was believable, perhaps I shoulda simply attacked your premise and said, "Fuck reality!"

Again, if you disagree with me, ask yourself how you would feel about a movie that had Osama bin Laden as a comedic character, or Al Quada members as the 3 Stooges, etc. I don't think you'd like it very much. So the point is that everyone has a level where it's unacceptable. Perhaps your level is different than mine. But it's there, somewhere  Wink

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:40:21 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: December 08, 2011, 10:37:46 AM »

haha I love how stanton always ends off every criticism with, "which is surely not a bad thing."  Wink

p.s. as I have told dj previously, I don't watch comedies, sci-fi/fantasy, or horror. Only Westerns, Dramas, Thrillers, and some Action.

Groggy: if I am wrong about the Holden character in Kwai, then thanks for correcting me. I saw the movie once several years ago and remember feeling that way, but mostly because of reason (B) anyway (ie. Guiness's Stockholm Syndrome)... and btw, when watching that movie, I wasn't even aware of anything about the true Burma Railway etc. But I just knew that I couldn't relate to/believe Guiness's character.

so in response to dj, and based on what I've said in the previous post: I'd say I demand more historical accuracy from movies made about historical stuff in the last century, than I do about prior stuff. (I sure as heck ain't no historian, and perhaps if I were, the inaccuracies in the much older stuff would bother me as well).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: December 08, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »

I'd like to add that (while I personally do not watch comedies or sci-fi or horror), I think it is possible to watch those, because you shut off any notions of reality. It's like you are watching a cartoon.

But serious movies, especially about historical events -- despite the general suspension of disbelief required for every movie -- are different. Firstly, there is a moral issue that it is just plain wrong and disgraceful to the people who went through that to make their experiences into a joke. Secondly -- if you wanna set morals aside and just focus on the movie aspect -- it's different because you don't put up your  "bullshit shield" when it's something that's supposed to be serious, especially if it is a historical event. I can enjoy Austin Powers cuz I know the entire thing is bullshit. I don't expect anything else. But when eg. watching a drama (even not one about historical events), you don't have that felling that it's all bullshit. That's why it bothers you when bullshit is added to the equation.

Finally, I'll ask you this: imagine if some of the characters in Stalag 17 were Curious George, the Berenstain Bears, Shrek, and Snow White. Heck, imagine that they were all Nazis, or that some were Nazis and some were POW's... Would you feel the same way? Well to me, having a comedic Nazi character is no less ridiculous than having a Curious George Nazi character

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: December 08, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »

Finally, I'll ask you this: imagine if some of the characters in Stalag 17 were Curious George, the Berenstain Bears, Shrek, and Snow White. Heck, imagine that they were all Nazis, or that some were Nazis and some were POW's... Would you feel the same way? Well to me, having a comedic Nazi character is no less ridiculous than having a Curious George Nazi character
It's obvious you haven't seen Inglourious Basterds.

Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM