Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:17:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769629 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9780 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

It's obvious you haven't seen Inglourious Basterds.

That is absolutely correct. I have not seen it and will not see it, for that very reason.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »

haha I love how stanton always ends off every criticism with, "which is surely not a bad thing."  Wink

I don't love it that much, and I will try to avoid it in the future (until I again forgot that I had used it before). I will give my best.

But D&D what if there is a serious movie about our more recent past which has a completely different idea what is historical accurate about an event of our past? And who btw tells us what is the truth about our past and what not?

"Historical accuracy" is a very tricky conception, as there ain't something like a truth, there are only opinions.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:59:25 AM by stanton » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: December 08, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »

Again, if you disagree with me, ask yourself how you would feel about a movie that had Osama bin Laden as a comedic character, or Al Quada members as the 3 Stooges, etc. I don't think you'd like it very much.

If it's funny I would have a lot to laugh.
I always liked it to have a good laugh about Nazis, and to make fun of them can be a very serious way to handle their monstrous crimes against humanity.

Apart from that I have about everything you have written above an antipodal opinion. You have really pretty strange opinions.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: December 08, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »

I don't love it that much, and I will try to avoid it in the future (until I again forgot that I had used it before). I will give my best.

But D&D what if there is a serious movie about our more recent past which has a completely different idea what is historical accurate about an event of our past? And who btw tells us what is the truth about our past and what not?

"Historical accuracy" is a very tricky conception, as there ain't something like a truth, there are only opinions.

hey, it doesn't bother me that you say that; I get a kick out of it.

Of course, everyone may have a different view of what is "historically accurate."  Though being comedic about Nazis is just plain ridiculous. But I have no intention of debating history. I'm just gonna say that when something is IMO very clear revision of recent history, I can't enjoy the movie.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:09:46 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: December 08, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »

Apart from that I have about everything you have written above an antipodal opinion. You have really pretty strange opinions.

hey, Thank God for strange opinions. This place would be boring otherwise  Wink

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: December 08, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »

hey, Thank God for strange opinions. This place would be boring otherwise  Wink

Here I easily agree with you.

hey, it doesn't bother me that you say that; I get a kick out of it.

Only that it bothers me that you get a kick out of it. Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: December 08, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »

Only that it bothers me that you get a kick out of it. Wink

Precisely   Tongue

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:20:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

To The Shores of Tripoli (1942) 6.5/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035447/

This is the sort of lighthearted/military/romantic movie that I NEVER watch. But i was bored and it was showing on TCM (they were showing WWII-related movies all day, cuz of the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor) and I left it on and watched, and waddaya know, I found myself mildly entertained. (And I've mentioned previously that I love military music, so I can watch any movie which features lots of military marches).

John Payne is a young Marine recruit who tries to romance a Navy nurse (Maureen O'Hara) and deal with his sergant (Randolph Scott). I am sure this sort of shit has been done a million times, but it was decent for passing some time midnite  Wink

(on an unrelated matter -- and this will please dj -- I have decided I will only give ratings in the whole or half numbers (eg. 6, 6.5, 7), no more agonizing over "'should I give it a 6.6 or a 6.7?" There are 21 wholes and halves between 0 and 10; that is enough of a range  Wink

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9788 on: December 08, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »

As the board's Dick-appointed bully, it falls upon me to report that you're talking nonsense Drink.

I don't hold to the idea that any historical subject is above humor. Why should any topic be taboo? If anything the cathartic nature of humor allows us to confront something that otherwise would be unapproachable. Dr. Strangelove is the ultimate example: nothing's more serious than the prospect of Armageddon, yet there are enough inherent absurdities in the Cold War circa 1963 that it's hilarious while inventing very little. Of course, there are cases of bad taste that cross the line (Hogan's Heroes), but that's more an issue of lousy comedy.

It's clear that the people living through WWII had no problem laughing about it. You had films like The Great Dictator and To Be or Not to Be poking fun at the Nazis. You mention the Three Stooges encountering the Nazis as some sort of absurdity; well, this actually happen. What about the dozens of times the Looney Tunes gang tangled with Germans and Japs? How about the novelty songs of the era ("You're a sap, Mr. Jap" comes to mind)? How do you approach these?

I might agree with your general opinion of WWII if we weren't so far removed from it: culturally it's the new Wild West, a seminal event immortalized by popular media and increasingly defined by it. Sure, there are still veterans around to let us know what that era was like. But nowadays most people get their knowledge of that period filtered through movies, TV and video games. Hence, most WWII films are self-reflexive, commenting more on the film version of the war than its reality (see Inglourious Basterds). Whether or not this should be the case is debatable, but then it's the cliche about the stable door.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:27:13 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: December 08, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »

my knowledge of WWII is not culled from cartoons, movies, or tv. It's from books I have read from people who lived (barely) through the worst sort of hell none of us can imagine. And if WWII has become the new Wild West, that is very sad. Ask anyone who had friends or relatives die on 9/11 how they'd feel if having people on fire jumping from burning building as the new "frontier" in video games or cartoons. i know there are many who disagree with me, and it's a darn shame that we've become so desensitized.... and btw you can't compare it to 'Armageddon' cuz that never happened. A myth about what may happen in 2100 is different than something very real that happened not too long ago.... i know far too many people who went through hell to just view it all as the new Wild West

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: December 08, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

to be clear: I never said you can never make ay joke in context of talking about Germans or Japs... My point is that when you are purporting to depict real people who went through hell, it is wrong to depict it in a comedic fashion or any manner which scrubs reality... btw, on the 50th anniversary of THE GREAT ESCAPE, they had the few surviving British POW'S of that camp go back there and watch the film.  and when they watched it, they said the while the first part depicting life in the camps was accurate the latter part with the motorcycle jumping was ridiculous. Yup. it bothered them that this was depicted that way. you can easily google the news articles that discuss that reunion; i believe they r linked to on THE GREAT ESCAPE's Wikipedia page

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9791 on: December 08, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »

my knowledge of WWII is not culled from cartoons, movies, or tv. It's from books I have read from people who lived (barely) through the worst sort of hell none of us can imagine. And if WWII has become the new Wild West, that is very sad. Ask anyone who had friends or relatives die on 9/11 how they'd feel if having people on fire jumping from burning building as the new "frontier" in video games or cartoons. i know there are many who disagree with me, and it's a darn shame that we've become so desensitized.... and btw you can't compare it to 'Armageddon' cuz that never happened. A myth about what may happen in 2100 is different than something very real that happened not too long ago.... i know far too many people who went through hell to just view it all as the new Wild West

This is a very odd argument to make after seventy years of such "trivialization." Again, many of the movies made during the war weren't so reverent and solemn, nor should they have been. There are too many angles one can approach it from to limit it to solemn pomposity. If you wish to stick with The Longest Day and Tora! Tora! Tora! you're welcome to.

Video games are another kettle of fish and I'd rather stay out of it.

BTW... no one mentioned the film Armageddon. Context clues pally.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:27:55 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9792 on: December 08, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »

to be clear: I never said you can never make ay joke in context of talking about Germans or Japs... My point is that when you are purporting to depict real people who went through hell, it is wrong to depict it in a comedic fashion or any manner which scrubs reality... btw, on the 50th anniversary of THE GREAT ESCAPE, they had the few surviving British POW'S of that camp go back there and watch the film.  and when they watched it, they said the while the first part depicting life in the camps was accurate the latter part with the motorcycle jumping was ridiculous. Yup. it bothered them that this was depicted that way. you can easily google the news articles that discuss that reunion; i believe they r linked to on THE GREAT ESCAPE's Wikipedia page

That's nice, but what does that have to do with the films you're talking about?

Stalag 17 does not claim to be based on any sort of reality so this criticism seems off-base on its face.

Kwai was based on an allegorical novel with only a tenuous connection to its true story. Boulle himself was a POW of the Japanese and he based Nicholson on French officers he served with during his captivity. Why he made the character British is known only to him; my guess is that the British "stiff upper lip" stereotype fit his message better. Though we might mention that James Clavell, author of The Great Escape, was also a POW; was he "demeaning" his own experience?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: December 08, 2011, 08:08:49 PM »

That's nice, but what does that have to do with the films you're talking about?

Stalag 17 does not claim to be based on any sort of reality so this criticism seems off-base on its face.

Kwai was based on an allegorical novel with only a tenuous connection to its true story. Boulle himself was a POW of the Japanese and he based Nicholson on French officers he served with during his captivity. Why he made the character British is known only to him; my guess is that the British "stiff upper lip" stereotype fit his message better. Though we might mention that James Clavell, author of The Great Escape, was also a POW; was he "demeaning" his own experience?

James Clavell wrote "King Rat" Paul Brickhill wrote "The Great Escape"

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

does the book have Steve McQueen doing motorcycle jumps? besies, i didn't make the argument; the former pow's did. don't shoot the messenger..... and I agree that there has bee seventy years with much irreverancy. doesn't make it right

Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM