Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:07:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763218 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9840 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »

This is untrue. The mujahedeen leaders we most closely associated with during that time later became the Northern Alliance. The Taliban did not come into existence until the early '90s and that was Pakistan's doing.

Maybe, I'll check this later.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:08 AM »

Even if America indeed armed mujadeen that were Taliban, that in no way proves the ridiculous general assertion that no matter what anyone does, they are not pure evil, and shouldn't be killed. (The Nazis surely were thoroughly evil who deserve to be tortured and killed in the worst, unimaginable ways. Same for Stalin,the KGB, Pol Pot, Castro, Kim Jung Il, Ahmadenijad, Saddam Hussein, and so many others. Unfortunately, the world has no shortage of murderers).We armed the mujadeen cuz we wanted them to repel the Soviet invasion. Just cuz we wanted the mujadeen to beat the Soviets doesn't mean they weren't bad guys. Maybe we A) misjudged them, and didn't realize how bad they were; or B) perhaps we knew exactly what they were all about, but still wanted them to beat the Soviets, cuz the Soviets were more of a threat to us at the time than the mujadeen were. Whether the truth is A or B or some combination thereof or neither, that in no way proves that every terrorist (or freedom fighter or whatever you want to call them) has some justification for what they do, isn't entirely bad, and that the world isn't a better place if they are eliminated.

And of course, just cuz one party is a state actor does not mean its actions are justified; and just cuz another party is not a state actor does not means its actions are not justified. I never addressed that general issue of state actors vs. non-state actors. This is a movie discussion board, not my class on National Security Law or Human Rights Law; my entire point was that IN THE SPECIFIC EVENTS DISCUSSED IN "MUNICH" -- ie. Black September murdering innocent Israeli athletes, and Israel's subsequent operation to kill those involved -- the terrorists were 100% wrong, and Israel was 100% justified. Not because of the identity of the parties ( ie. that Israel is a state actor and Black September is not), but because those who arrange and/or carry out the murder of innocents should be eliminated

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:28:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: December 15, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »

The Wheeler Dealers (1963) James Garner & Lee Remick, Chill Wills, Jim Backus, John Astin, sort of a riff on Maverick in modern times, con man Garner manipulating stocks  to raise money for his oil company. 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9843 on: December 15, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »

I thought you weren't talking about politics anymore

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: December 15, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »

Yeah, CJ, what's the deal? Groggy wants you to stop talking politics!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: December 15, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

Yeah, CJ, what's the deal? Groggy wants you to stop talking politics!

Yea I keep trying to get back on subject  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: December 15, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

I thought you weren't talking about politics anymore

The only time I'll discuss politics is as it relates to a movie, and try not to veer off into general political discussions.

So the question of this specific instance is relevant for discussion of Munich. Since my comment on Munich was twisted to mean that somehow all state actors are justified and all non-state actors are unjustified, I just wanted to clarify, as I explain in the second paragraph above, that my discussion was only related to the specific instance addressed in Munich, and not meant as a general rule. And I had to disagree with the ridiculous assertion, that was put forth during this discussion, that somehow every action has some justification and there is no pure evil. To the extent that clarifying the political points are  related to discussion of the movie, I'll engage in them. But not just for politics' sake.

Glad that's cleared up  Wink

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:41:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: December 15, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

Hugo - 8.5/10
An inventive and emotional biopic of George Meleis disguised as a shitty kids movies. It doesn't 'feel' like a Scorsese movies but it's still fucking good.

The Tree of Life - 10/10
Watched it about four or five more times and it's still a masterpieces. SO FUCK THE HATERS.

The Decalogue - 9/10
Pretty close to 10/10 overall. Incredible.

Three Colors: Red - 8/10
By far the best of Three Colors trilogy

Clearly something was wrong with me when I watched Three Colors: Blue. Either that or it really does suck. Either way, I'm giving it another go.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:29:36 PM by rrpower » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9848 on: December 15, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »

Mr. Power is back! Shocked It's truly a Christmas miracle!

Actually it's been really nice to see a lot of our old-timers returning these past few weeks. Hope you lot can stick around. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: December 15, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »

considering that you want the place to stay alive, you need the Bounty Killers back now that you have bullied the Road Apples off the board ;-)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9850 on: December 15, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

Clearly the Richard W. theory of board politics has been discredited.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

what about the stanton theory of terorism?  (or "freedom fighting";-)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »

99 and 44/100% Dead (1974) 1/10. Pretty close to the worst movie ever. A mob war spoof that isn't funny, it's made up of a series of scenes that drag on interminably and don't seem connected to each other. Frankenheimer's name is on the picture but it doesn't seem possible he actually directed any of it, it's so ineptly made. With Bradford Dillman, Edmond O'Brien, Chuck Conners, and Richard Harris. Even the Henry Mancini feel-good score is annoying.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9853 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »

That title should have tipped you off.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: December 15, 2011, 11:51:38 PM »

99 and 44/100% Dead (1974) 1/10. Pretty close to the worst movie ever. A mob war spoof that isn't funny, it's made up of a series of scenes that drag on interminably and don't seem connected to each other. Frankenheimer's name is on the picture but it doesn't seem possible he actually directed any of it, it's so ineptly made. With Bradford Dillman, Edmond O'Brien, Chuck Conners, and Richard Harris. Even the Henry Mancini feel-good score is annoying.

what did you think about the opening scene, which was stolen from what was supposed to be the opening of OUATIA?

Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM