Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:38:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842009 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9870 on: December 21, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »

Holiday Affair (1949) Director Don Hartman, with noirish cast of Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, Wendell Corey, Harry Morgan, and Gordon Gebert.

Before Christmas, department store clerk Steve Mason (Mitchum) meets big spending customer Connie Ennis (Leigh), really a commercial spy. He unmasks her but lets her go, which gets him fired. They end up on a date, which doesn't sit well with Connie's steady suitor, Carl (Corey), but delights her son Timmy (Gebert), who doesn't want Carl for a step-dad. Entertaining enough for what it is 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9871 on: December 21, 2011, 04:25:08 AM »

Hugo - 5/10

Scorsese trying 3D without risking his personal branding (Hugo being a "non-real-Scorsese-film" for everyone). The story sucks. Not in the "oh don't worry it's a movie for KIDS" meaning. It sucks, even for kids: everything revolves around the so called secret of each of the 3 main characters. Two of the secrets are "my parents died and left me an item", the other one "I don't work in movies anymore". We discover the 3 secrets after 20minutes, then Scorsese tries very hard to make his audience believe these secrets will lead to something else. They won't. But that does not seem to bother the characters: once they spent 2 hours of your time playing the great "no I won't tell you my secret" game with the other characters, they suddenly decide together that there is nothing behind these secrets so everything is great and every dead parent is forgotten. And that's it.

Now the bright side:
1) Scorsese's use of 3D is top notch (despite a technology that still does NOT work, it's still looks like a pop up book), as is his camerawork. Funny thing he did with 3D: original clips from Melies and real WW1 footage are screened in 3D, and it works perfectly. Probably the best use of 3D I have ever seen. Also, some scenes are cheaply-weirdly done, but the overall brilliance makes up for it. The fact that it's a 3D (cause #1) kid movie (cause #2) slows the usual epileptic editing down, which is not a good thing: a lot of the scenes involving only secondary characters would work much better if quicken a little bit.
2) The universe is gorgeous, kind of Amelie meets the steampunks.
3) Some magic moments happen from time to time, and you really fall in love with Melies' work (not with the character, who sucks). I thought Scorsese couldn't achieve what he did with the first part of the Goodfellas on such a topic, and I was really wrong. This alone gives 4 of my 5/10 points.
4) The serious man is on board, with a beard.

Special DJ: Oward Shore's music is the usual barely not tolerable crap. Bring back the Stones, Marty!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: December 21, 2011, 05:15:45 AM »

Then Scorsese is still dead

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: December 21, 2011, 05:56:26 AM »

Could you please elaborate? I'm very anxious to watch this one and it will only be available in France in 1 month
I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone planning to see this fresh (as I was able to do). As I said, I haven't read the books or seen the earlier films, so I have nothing to compare it with. If you like what Fincher has been doing lately, you'll probably go for this, although it has some unsavory aspects: anal rape, dismemberment (human and feline). It's kind of like a Swedish Zodiac, but with more of a standard payoff. The characters are memorable, as are the performances: great work from Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgard, and--who knew he was still alive?--Steven Berkoff. Of course, Rooney Mara is great as the title character. Craig is still short.

Is that enough elaboration for you?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: December 21, 2011, 06:02:32 AM »

Holiday Affair (1949) Director Don Hartman, with noirish cast of Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, Wendell Corey, Harry Morgan, and Gordon Gebert.

Before Christmas, department store clerk Steve Mason (Mitchum) meets big spending customer Connie Ennis (Leigh), really a commercial spy. He unmasks her but lets her go, which gets him fired. They end up on a date, which doesn't sit well with Connie's steady suitor, Carl (Corey), but delights her son Timmy (Gebert), who doesn't want Carl for a step-dad. Entertaining enough for what it is 7/10
You've missed noting the film's most winning feature: a child actor of the period who doesn't get on one's nerves. And this has one of Corey's greatest roles.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: December 21, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »

I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone planning to see this fresh (as I was able to do). As I said, I haven't read the books or seen the earlier films, so I have nothing to compare it with. If you like what Fincher has been doing lately, you'll probably go for this, although it has some unsavory aspects: anal rape, dismemberment (human and feline). It's kind of like a Swedish Zodiac, but with more of a standard payoff. The characters are memorable, as are the performances: great work from Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgard, and--who knew he was still alive?--Steven Berkoff. Of course, Rooney Mara is great as the title character. Craig is still short.

I

Great, then at least it is not one of those Hollywood versions of a European stuff which are softened for a mainstream audience.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9876 on: December 21, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »

Then Scorsese is still dead

Are you kidding? The Departed is almost as good as The Goodfellas (even if it takes a couple viewings to admit it).

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: December 21, 2011, 06:46:03 AM »

Are you kidding? The Departed is almost as good as The Goodfellas (even if it takes a couple viewings to admit it).

I couldn't really enjoy The Departed, and it was for a silly reason. here is why:

SPOILER ALERT:

I decided very early on that it just HAD TO BE that DiCaprio was actually the "bad guy" (ie. Nicholson's spy) and Damon was the undercover cop pretending to be Nicholson's guy. I mean, seriously, between the the two of them, you'd certainly imagine Damon being the "good guy" and Leo being the "bad guy." So i decided that was what was "really" going on, and was frankly shocked when it turned out that there was actually no intent to trick us all along, and that Leo was indeed the good guy and Damon the bad guy. Somehow, I had so convinced myself the other way around that the whole movie just felt very weird to me at the end, lie something was simply "not right." I know this is all silly, but this is how I felt several years ago when I saw it. I should point out that my taste in movies has probably changed drastically in those few years, and perhaps I should put it in my queue and give it another shot...  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: December 21, 2011, 06:57:19 AM »

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't like The Departed very much. It has some great stuff in the first half, but in the 2nd half it went down qualitywise. I was pretty disappointed when i watched it in the theatre. I rate it maybe now 7/10 after a 2nd viewing, but only maybe ...

So not bad, but for Scorsese standards not that good either. Especially as it became his Oscar winning film. Shutter Island was then really worse. And I wasn't impressed by Gangs of NY and The Aviator either.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9879 on: December 21, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »

Lol I knew you didn't really like the Departted, no disappointment here Wink
It took me 5 viewings to rise my rating from 7 to 9. That's actually the only movie by Scorsese where you end up caring for some of the characters (and that's the best editing ever).
GoNY is one of his worst ones if you ask me. The Aviator has some great scenes but the whole thing falls apart.

Lol DD! I hate when things like that happen to me. You decide to understand your own movie and end up disappointed because... you actually did not write it Smiley

Thanks DJ for the elaboration Wink

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: December 21, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »

I decided very early on that it just HAD TO BE that DiCaprio was actually the "bad guy" (ie. Nicholson's spy) and Damon was the undercover cop pretending to be Nicholson's guy. I mean, seriously, between the the two of them, you'd certainly imagine Damon being the "good guy" and Leo being the "bad guy."
Modern twist-o-fest plots have certainly taught us to think this way. And DiCaprio is such a weasel, you're right, it always feels wrong when he isn't the bad guy.

You've convinced me. The Departed sucks.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: December 21, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

Lol I knew you didn't really like the Departted, no disappointment here Wink
It took me 5 viewings to rise my rating from 7 to 9. That's actually the only movie by Scorsese where you end up caring for some of the characters (and that's the best editing ever).
)
I' mafter a 2nd viewing from 6 to 7, so maybe after 5 viewings ...

Actually many Scorsese films which I didn't liked that much after the first-run became better, even much better by repeated viewings (Color of Money for example). Still I have not that much hope for his films of the actual millennium. (not sure what the next will bring)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9882 on: December 21, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »

Berkoff was just in The Tourist last year. I thought you'd seen (and disliked) that one.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:19 AM »

I'd forgotten about The Tourist (a very forgetable film), but I was just being a smartarse.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9884 on: December 21, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

Good to hear though. Right now I'm debating whether to see this or Tintin on Friday.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM