Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 01:10:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833085 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9915 on: December 28, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »

It strains credulity for a start, relying on an obnoxious coincidence, but mostly I felt it a big cheat. The film sets us up for a big finale where the characters have to face up to their failure, maybe even admit it publicly, without any cathartic release. Certainly an interesting direction for a film like this to take. Then the guy they're looking for is there after all, for what (dramatic) reason? So the audience won't go home depressed and mopey?

Do you mean that it's a coincidence that Vogel and the crazy old guy who imagibes himself to be Vogel are in the same home?

When Rachel realizes that the old man in the room is not Vogel, I believe she says something to the effect that the real Vogel must be in the same place or something. Like maybe he met the real guy and imagined himself to be him or something. I don't believe it was pure coincidence; if it was, that would indeed be ridiculous. (Now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense that the real Vogel would tell any other patients about who he is, right? But I seem to recall somehow that there was some sort of connection; it wasn't complete coincidence that the crazy guy in the home imagined he was the very Nazi that was living in that home; that sorta coincidence would be a joke.

The characters did indeed have to face up to their failure; Rachel wrote the story for the reporter to see; now, even though they have achieved a sort of redemption by killing Vogel, the world will still know the truth. It happens after the movie ends, but the world will indeed know what really happens.

I just wonder whether or not we are supposed to assume that Rachel lives, or whether that point is left intentionally vague.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:48:07 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: December 28, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »

Just wanted to add that both Jessica Chastain and Helen Mirren are great as the young and old Rachel, respectively.

And Jesper Christensen, the Danish actor who plays the Nazi, is particularly spectacular. I think an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor is in order.

Just looking at Christensen's bio on Wiipedia; it says:

"In 2006 Jesper Christensen declined the offer to receive the Knight's Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog. He said that he thought the entire idea of monarchy is a crime against the members of the royal family, and does not fit with modern ideas."

I am not sure what it means that "the entire idea of monarchy is a crime against the members of the royal family; perhaps the wikipedia author worded it wrongly and meant to say something like "monarchy is a crime by the royal family. If that is the case, I give Christensen big-time props  Afro Afro Afro I've always wished that someday I'd have the opportunity to receive some sort of knighthood, or better yet, that I'd have the opportunity to be king... just so that I could say, in a public forum "Fuck No! Monarchies have no place in civilized societies!"  Wink Monarchies are absolute bullshit, every damn one of them. Needless to say, the ones that abuse the people are evil. Even the ones that are just figureheads  -- they are just a bunch of assholes who steal the people's money. Fuck 'em all. If this is indeed the attitude taken by Christensen which the wikipedia bio was trying to convey, then I tip my hat to him  Afro Afro Afro

Here is the link Wikipedia provided for that story http://politiken.dk/kultur/article208462.ece; it looks like it is in Danish. if someone here can translate that, I'd be mighty appreciative  Afro (I tried Googling to find a different source for this story, but every English-language site that had it was aripoff of these exact words from Wikipedia). So I am hoping someone can translate that article  -- t's not necessary to write the entire translation if it's too long; I just wanna know if based on the article, my understanding of the account of Christensen's declining of the Knight's Cross is correct. Thanks  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:14:28 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

Do you mean that it's a coincidence that Vogel and the crazy old guy who imagibes himself to be Vogel are in the same home?

When Rachel realizes that the old man in the room is not Vogel, I believe she says something to the effect that the real Vogel must be in the same place or something. Like maybe he met the real guy and imagined himself to be him or something. I don't believe it was pure coincidence; if it was, that would indeed be ridiculous. (Now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense that the real Vogel would tell any other patients about who he is, right? But I seem to recall somehow that there was some sort of connection; it wasn't complete coincidence that the crazy guy in the home imagined he was the very Nazi that was living in that home; that sorta coincidence would be a joke.

It's not a coincidence. The guy who claims to be Vogel got Vogel's particulars from Vogel himself; Vogel realizes he made a mistake by confiding in the guy. In their final altercation, Vogel (in an agitated, not-quite-sane state) tells Helen Mirren that he won't tell the old guy who has caused all the trouble any more about himself (as if that will put things right!) So, the Mossad smelled smoke and sent their agent to find the fire; she found it, although it was coming from a different room in the hospital.

This is actually good plotting. You just had to know that the guy Mirren was sent to see wasn't going to turn out to be the right one. But when they pull the twist, it is an entirely plausible one. So, I guess Groggy wasn't paying attention, because the ending works very well indeed.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: December 28, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »

The characters did indeed have to face up to their failure; Rachel wrote the story for the reporter to see; now, even though they have achieved a sort of redemption by killing Vogel, the world will still know the truth. It happens after the movie ends, but the world will indeed know what really happens.

I just wonder whether or not we are supposed to assume that Rachel lives, or whether that point is left intentionally vague.
You are quite correct on your first point. Rachel wrote the story, the reporter gets the story, it will certainly be published. Partly she was keeping faith with the Ciarán Hinds character who did away with himself at the beginning of the film; his sense of truth is now vindicated (although Rachel shared that sense as well).

I read the ending to mean Rachel dies. She had to put two things right, the failure of the original mission and the cover-up regarding that failure, and she succeeds, but at the cost of her own life. Double redemption comes high.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »

You are quite correct on your first point. Rachel wrote the story, the reporter gets the story, it will certainly be published. Partly she was keeping faith with the Ciarán Hinds character who did away with himself at the beginning of the film; his sense of truth is now vindicated (although Rachel shared that sense as well).

I read the ending to mean Rachel dies. She had to put two things right, the failure of the original mission and the cover-up regarding that failure, and she succeeds, but at the cost of her own life. Double redemption comes high.

The irony of course is that the truth about the original mission will come out now, though the lie is no longer really a lie cuz Vogel is dead. Would David (if he was alive) insist that the truth about the original mission be shared with the world even though Vogel is now dead? Is Rachel happy about sharing it now that she's killed Vogel? Probably not. But that's the irony of it all.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: December 29, 2011, 03:56:17 AM »

Courage Under Fire (1996) 7.5/10

I don't think Denzel Washington can give a bad performance if he tried. Lou Diamond Phillips and Michael Moriarty are just terrific here as well, in supporting roles.

I didn't love the opening tank battle scene. I mean, I pray I never have to know what that's like in real life; but I imagine that after firing on an enemy tank and blowing it to bits, the soldiers maintain their focus, rather than high-fiving like a bunch of twelve year old who just hit a home run or something. That was more than a tad ridiculous.

In discussing another movie on this thread, Groggy once referred to Roger Ebert calls "The Idiot Plot," ie. "A plot that requires all the characters to be idiots. If they weren't, they'd immediately figure out everything and the movie would be over." In the same vein, I like to think of parts of this movie as "The Asshole Plot." Basically, you have the one protagonist whose life is made so difficult by the fact that everyone else is an Asshole, in a not very believable way, of course. I am particularly referring to the Moriarty character, how he assigns Denzel to a task and doesn't give him the leeway to actually do it. I mean, I understand that political realities (such as the annoying White House aide) are such that the Pentagon could get pressure from the White House; so the Moriarty character could be somewhat impatient, but not the way it is presented here, how he just wants a rubber stamp, plain and simple. The problem IMO is in the writing for the Moriarty character; his performance is nothing short of spectacular.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:58:10 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: December 29, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »

nice term "Asshole Plot"  Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »

Comanche Station (1960) 5.5/10

This is easily the worst of the 5 Ranown Cycle films I have seen. (The others are 7 Men from Now, Decision at Sundown, Ride Lonesome, and The Tall T). Still gotta see Westbound and Buchanan Rides Alone.

Of the 4 that were written by Burt Kennedy, this is the only bad one. (7MFN, TTT, and RL are the others).

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:16:28 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - 8/10. I haven't read the books, didn't see the Swedish films, and couldn't care less about all that. I watched this because it was a film by David Fincher who, it must now be admitted, is the most interesting U.S. filmmaker working today. And Fincher pretty much delivers, although the nature of the story (a whodunnit about a serial killer), once all the secrets have been revealed, obviates the need for repeated viewings. The electronic score is quite good.

I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone planning to see this fresh (as I was able to do). As I said, I haven't read the books or seen the earlier films, so I have nothing to compare it with. If you like what Fincher has been doing lately, you'll probably go for this, although it has some unsavory aspects: anal rape, dismemberment (human and feline). It's kind of like a Swedish Zodiac, but with more of a standard payoff. The characters are memorable, as are the performances: great work from Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgard, and--who knew he was still alive?--Steven Berkoff. Of course, Rooney Mara is great as the title character. Craig is still short.

I went to this because my wife is a David Craig fan, I haven't read the books, and also didn't see the Swedish film, and also couldn't care less about that.  The whodunit part of the story was great up to a point. I couldn't stand looking at Rooney "Raccoon" Mara, so that soured the whole f-ing film for me. Who the fuck would believe that Daniel Craig would actually want to screw her or anybody else for that matter, I couldn't decide who was the bigger weirdo Mara or the the the guy that actually gets off anal raping her. So anyway this studded raccoon goth emo chick of 23 is a apparently an expert in all things, espionage, computer hacking, guns, motorcycle bike riding, fucking & sucking yawn, un fucking  believable.  The rest of the cast was great though. The movie should have ended at the finale of the serial killer case but no I had to endure an epilogue about what I think was Craig's original libel suit problem with a billionaire which I couldn't give a shit about. In the epilogue Mara cleans up pulls her studs dons a blond wig (apparently to prove she actually can look good but too little too late)

I hate Hollywood these days, the coming attractions offer NOTHING I want to see.

Anyway I'll give the film a 6/10 Fincher's best film is still Seven

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:51:40 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »

I went to this because my wife is a David Craig fan

A suitable ground for divorce.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:23 AM »

A suitable ground for divorce.

lol, I'll give the film this all of the supporting players have to be 40+ years of age, it was nice to see adults in a film nowadays. But on the other hand Lisbeth Salander comes off as, for all intents and purposes,  another super hero this time an emo-goth one.  Which niche youth demo graphic are they gonna target next, lol.  Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: December 30, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »

another super hero this time an emo-goth one. 
That's about right. Her ability to hack anything isn't real-world-credible, it's magic, or a superpower. To enjoy the film you have to accept this, otherwise, the whole plot dissolves. I hope Lisbeth makes it into the next X-Men movie.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: December 30, 2011, 06:53:51 AM »

That's about right. Her ability to hack anything isn't real-world-credible, it's magic, or a superpower. To enjoy the film you have to accept this, otherwise, the whole plot dissolves. I hope Lisbeth makes it into the next X-Men movie.
Does her character have the appropriate gay subtext?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: December 30, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »

Does her character have the appropriate gay subtext?

Yes she makes with the "tongue in groove" with another woman.  Azn

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: December 30, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »

A Raisin in the Sun (1961) 8/10

Generally, I am not much for plays at all -- and it is very obvious that this is adapted from a play, as almost all the scenes take place in one dingy apartment, with lots of dialogue.

But I watched this imagining I was on Broadway watching a play, not a movie, and therefore really enjoyed it.

In plays, there ain't gonna be any big action sequences or plot twists; it is the acting that totally makes or breaks it.And the acting here is just superb: by Poitier as the lead, and the women who play his mom, wife, and sister. Occasionally, the long-winded speeches get tiresome, but this is a good watch. Catch it next time it's on TCM (which may be a while, cuz it was just on now  Afro)

Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM