Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:36:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837393 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9990 on: January 05, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »

Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: January 05, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »

I haven't seen Paris, Texas in a while and never The American Friend  Embarrassed

Oh, as sedatives Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire can be beaten only by Malick's opera omnia. Still I have bought the dvd of The American Friend and gonna rewatch it soon.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9992 on: January 05, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »

Stairway to Heaven (1946) (A Matter of Life And Death) director Michael Powell, with David Niven, Kim Hunter, and Robert Coote.

Synopsis from IMDb: Returning to England from a bombing run in May 1945, flyer Peter Carter's plane is damaged and his parachute ripped to shreds. He has his crew bail out safely, but figures it is curtains for himself. He gets on the radio, and talks to June, a young American woman working for the USAAF, and they are quite moved by each other's voices. Then he jumps, preferring this to burning up with his plane. He wakes up in the surf. It was his time to die, but there was a mixup in heaven. They couldn't find him in all that fog. By the time his "Conductor" catches up with him 20 hours later, Peter and June have met and fallen in love. This changes everything, and since it happened through no fault of his own, Peter figures that heaven owes him a second chance. Heaven agrees to a trial to decide his fate.

A mix of monochrome and eye popping Technicolor give a interesting look to the film, it drags in spots during the trial and its reminiscent of the trial in "The Devil and Daniel Webster" entertaining 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: January 06, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »

Oh, as sedatives Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire can be beaten only by Malick's opera omnia.

For some, for others they are extremely exciting.
Angelopoulos is sleep inducing for me, as is Star Wars. To name 2 from the opposite sides of the sedative spectrum.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9994 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:54 AM »

I wasn't that excited about Paris, Texas, for some reason  Huh

It's a movie that requires to be watched in perfect conditions (quietly, no one around, right state of mind...) to be enjoyed. I'm quite sure my opinion on it would differ a lot if I had not been in the right mood the first time (as there would not have been any second time).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:25 AM »

It's a movie that requires to be watched in perfect conditions (quietly, no one around, right state of mind...) to be enjoyed. I'm quite sure my opinion on it would differ a lot if I had not been in the right mood the first time (as there would not have been any second time).
I don't think there was anything wrong with the surrounding conditions. I think it didn't work perfectly for me because it was the first Wenders film I saw, so I didn't know what to expect. I've been meaning to rewatch it ever since I saw his other films and enjoyed them very much.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: January 06, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »

THE GREAT ST. LOUIS BANK ROBBERY ( 1959 )  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052862/

long before tarentino's RESERVOIR DOGS came this drama about a hastily formed gang of eccentric hoods who plan the perfect heist only to botch the execution, setting each of them at each others throats and scrambling to save their own skins. Steve McQueen stars as a former football hero who is talked into becoming the getaway driver in this intense, dark adventure. based on a true story, this drama features the actual police and bank customers involved w/ this holdup.
 Afro Afro Afro 1/2

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:53:49 AM by sargatanas » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: January 06, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »

For some, for others they are extremely exciting.
Angelopoulos is sleep inducing for me, as is Star Wars. To name 2 from the opposite sides of the sedative spectrum.

Oh, I had forgotten Anghelopoulos, sorry (but O Thiassos is a masterpiece). Star Wars sleep inducing? Not my favourite  movie but at least it has proceeds fast.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9998 on: January 06, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »

O Thiassos maybe. I have to re-watch it, and still have a VHS copy. But most of his others were overly pretentious.

Star Wars (part IV as it is called now) is fast, but it was a complete bore last time I watched it. The sequels were at least entertaining.

Only an example for a mainstream film which is generally considered as entertaining, but obviously not for everyone. There are many others.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »

O Thiassos maybe. I have to re-watch it, and still have a VHS copy. But most of his others were overly pretentious.

Just boring. I saw Anaparastasi and maybe I kinigoi, but it was a torture. A bit like the last Godards.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: January 07, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »

Identificazione di una donna / Identification of a Woman (1982) - 5/10. Second blu-ray viewing. I had to watch it a second time because I kept nodding off the first time through. This is Antonioni descending into self-parody: Tomas Milian plays a famous Italian film director who doesn't actually spend any time making films. In the course of the story he gets one business call and has one very brief scene with a writer and that's it. So what does he do all day? He spends the time worrying about his relationship with his woman (Daniela Silverio). Although they have plenty of sex--a weird kind of sex that never dampens the sheets--the director just can't seem to figure out what makes his girlfriend tick. And this bothers him. They go to a lot of parties together and while there he talks about how he hates going to these parties. There's also a vague sub-plot about the director being warned off the girlfriend by a mysterious third party, but nothing comes of it. Then, in the middle of the picture, there's the fog scene: driving at night, the couple hit a patch so dense they have to stop their car. The director gets out and wanders around a bit, then climbs back in. He starts driving recklessly, scaring the woman, who demands he pull over. Then she gets out and wanders around. He wanders after her. He returns to the car and finds she is already back inside. They drive off.

No doubt the fog scene is symbolic, because very soon afterward the woman disappears from the director's life. Not to worry, though, as he quickly comes up with a new girlfriend (didn't Antonioni already make this film?). This girlfriend (Christine Boisson) isn't quite as mysterious as the other, but she "looks the part." Both women are short-haired, androgynous, and wear similar panties. Maybe this director can't make a film, but he certainly knows how to cast. This new girlfriend is handy, too, as she helps the director find the old girlfriend. However, finding her turns out to be no different from not finding her. So the director goes back to the second girlfriend, but on a trip to Venice she reveals that maybe their relationship isn't going to work out either. He goes back home, where a mysterious growth on a tree outside his window continues to grow. Earlier he had read about how the expanding sun will one day threaten life on earth: suddenly he gets an idea for a sci-fi film. The End.

John Foxx is credited with the score, but the soundtrack is actually filled with pop tunes from the early 80s. Steve Hillage, OMD, XTC, Japan, and Foxx himself are all represented. I was going to laud Antonioni's choices but then I realized they were all artists who were at the time on Virgin--no doubt Antonioni bought a package. The cues for the most part are used well, but watching one of Antonioni's antiseptic lovemaking scenes while OMD's "Souvenir" played felt quite bizarre.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10001 on: January 07, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

Identificazione di una donna / Identification of a Woman (1982) - 5/10.

I remember little of it, just that it was boring. But the rating is presumably right, as Antonioni managed to do much worse with Il mistero di Oberwald.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10002 on: January 08, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

Underdog - 4/10 - About what you'd expect.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »

You've missed noting the film's most winning feature: a child actor of the period who doesn't get on one's nerves. And this has one of Corey's greatest roles.
I think the most striking feature of the movie is Janet Leugh, never so pretty. Still I wonder why her daughter, who's not half as pretty, is ten times more sexy. Bah, anyway the movie is 7\10, maybe even more in spite of the child actor: not obnoxious as other ones of his ilk, but still irksome. And the Harry Morgan scene is another minus because of its absurdity: they could have thought up something more believable.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10004 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:02 AM »

Prince of the City was playing on TCM tonite.

Treat Williams is one of the most annoying lead actors in a major movie that I can ever remember. He singlehandedly makes this movie unwatchable

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM