Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:18:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767574 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10005 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:02 AM »

Prince of the City was playing on TCM tonite.

Treat Williams is one of the most annoying lead actors in a major movie that I can ever remember. He singlehandedly makes this movie unwatchable

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10006 on: January 11, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »

After Dark, My Sweet (1990) Director: James Foley, Writers: Jim Thompson (novel), Robert Redlin (screenplay), Stars: Jason Patric, Rachel Ward and Bruce DernAn ex-boxer is drifting around after escaping from the mental hospital. He meets a widow who convinces him to help fix up the neglected estate her ex-husband left. He gets involved in a kidnapping scheme with Ward & Dern. Sort of a modern Noir, with extremely uninteresting sets and locations, visually really nothing to go out of your way to find Rachel Ward is the femme Fatale in baggy T-shirts and cutoff jeans, yawn, and it gets old fast, you keep hoping she'll change her outfit . 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: January 11, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »

Prince of the City was playing on TCM tonite.

Treat Williams is one of the most annoying lead actors in a major movie that I can ever remember. He singlehandedly makes this movie unwatchable
You missed the point of the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »

Which sucks on its own, not only for Williams performance.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: January 11, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

Nope. Great film.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10010 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »

I don't know what that means.

I can't enjoy a movie -- no matter what the "point" of it is -- if the lead character is unwatchable

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10011 on: January 12, 2012, 04:50:38 AM »

You must have a very long list of things that prevent you from enjoying a movie.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10012 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

I can't enjoy a movie -- no matter what the "point" of it is -- if the lead character is unwatchable
How do you manage with your home movies?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: January 12, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »

How do you manage with your home movies?

I haven't taken home movies in about 10 years. and the old ones I do have, I never watch  Tongue

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:48:54 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10014 on: January 12, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »

Nice for you, but what if they were to fall into unsuspecting hands? Wouldn't it be safer to do the decent thing and destroy them?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

Nice for you, but what if they were to fall into unsuspecting hands? Wouldn't it be safer to do the decent thing and destroy them?

I don't even know where they are. I think they are buried under piles of shit in my basement. Maybe one day when I am bored, I'll look through all the shit and find 'em. Then I'll mail 'em to you so you can pleasure yourself.

Truth is, I am rarely in the movies myself. I was always the one holding the camera and narrating, taking vids of the rest of my family.  (just like our videos on the OUATIA locations tour!) So as you watch 'em, you can just pretend it's a noir with me narrating. If my presence causes you difficulties like Indio's, just hit mute and you'll be fine  Wink

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:03:25 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10016 on: January 13, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »

BRONSON: 6/10
Much better than I expected: great acting, some creative storytelling (although quite immature) and some really funny characters.
But also exactly as empty as I expected.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:46 AM »

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) Criterion DVD extra features, the wife and I enjoyed the extras last night, a piece on Spillane, a piece on A.I. Bezzerides the scriptwriter BTY those two hated what each other did, lol, Spillane didn't like the changes to the story and Bezzerides thought the novel sucked. A nice little write up on the Bunker Hill section of LA and its demise. The disc also includes the theatrical ending that didn't show Hammer & Velda in the surf, but curiously the theatrical trailer does include that shot.

Anyway 10/10 Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: January 13, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »

Lifeboat (1944) - 8/10. As part of my new program to watch films on their anniversaries, I celebrated the NY premiere of this (68 years ago) with a re-watch last night. An example of Hitchcock's interest in drama in enclosed spaces (see also The Lady Vanishes, Rope, Rear Window), I had forgotten how much humor there is in it. Some of the casting is inspired (Bankhead, Hodiak), but other choices were less felicitous: Hume Cronyn doing a terrible Cockney accent (how did Hitch let him get away with that?) and Bendix is so annoying you end up rooting for the German to do him in. But the pacing is good--there are no (heh) doldrums--and the 90 minute run-time keeps the whole concept from overstaying its welcome. Also the social commentary isn't as obnoxious as it is in, say, High Noon.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: January 13, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) Criterion DVD extra features, the wife and I enjoyed the extras last night, a piece on Spillane, a piece on A.I. Bezzerides the scriptwriter BTY those two hated what each other did, lol, Spillane didn't like the changes to the story and Bezzerides thought the novel sucked. A nice little write up on the Bunker Hill section of LA and its demise. The disc also includes the theatrical ending that didn't show Hammer & Velda in the surf, but curiously the theatrical trailer does include that shot.

Anyway 10/10 Afro

I didn't love the film, but as we discussed her when I watched it, if I'd have known what it was about, I wouldn't have watched it; it did seem kind of 'fantasy like" to me; I know there is much debate over whether or not it is sci-fi; but whether it is or isn't, I just felt all along, in my gut, that there was some level of fantasy there. And as you know, I don't knowingly watch any movies with any element of Fantasy. So while I didn't enjoy it much, I didn't rate it either, cuz I think it's only fair to rate movies that are from genres that i like; I don't give it a fair chance otherwise.

Anyway, to make a short story long, it just comes down to "I am not interested in that sort of stuff."

I don't know why you dismiss the fantasy element of the movie so easily.... Anyway, I remember that last time we spoke about this film, I posted a link to one movie review site that had this movie listed as a sci-fi; now, I can't seem to find that site (all the other sites I check just list it as a noir, but no mention of Fantasy). Who knows; I am not married to any theory about this film (except that it's not my kinda movie).

All I know is that the woman who escaped the insane asylum is played by an actress whose first name is Cloris  Lips Sealed

btw, I did not really like Meeker. There's something about the way he talks in that monotone; reminds me of Sterling Hayden, I just didn't like him much

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:12:33 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM