Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:36:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832448 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10020 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »

I didn't love the film, but as we discussed her when I watched it, if I'd have known what it was about, I wouldn't have watched it; it did seem kind of 'fantasy like" to me; I know there is much debate over whether or not it is sci-fi; but whether it is or isn't, I just felt all along, in my gut, that there was some level of fantasy there. And as you know, I don't knowingly watch any movies with any element of Fantasy. So while I didn't enjoy it much, I didn't rate it either, cuz I think it's only fair to rate movies that are from genres that i like; I don't give it a fair chance otherwise.

Anyway, to make a short story long, it just comes down to "I am not interested in that sort of stuff."

I don't know why you dismiss the fantasy element of the movie so easily.... Anyway, I remember that last time we spoke about this film, I posted a link to one movie review site that had this movie listed as a sci-fi; now, I can't seem to find that site (all the other sites I check just list it as a noir, but no mention of Fantasy). Who knows; I am not married to any theory about this film (except that it's not my kinda movie).

All I know is that the woman who escaped the insane asylum is played by an actress whose first name is Cloris  Lips Sealed

btw, I did not really like Meeker. There's something about the way he talks in that monotone; reminds me of Sterling Hayden, I just didn't like him much

Yes, yes, definitely an unbelievable Fantasy film with some ridiculous Science Fiction elements. Despite some noir lighting surely not a noir. Never ever

tintinteslacoil
« Reply #10021 on: January 14, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »

"THe Adventures of Tintin"

I am a big Tintin nut, so I Had to see it. I knew it was actually 3 adventures spliced  together and took a Lot of "license". I can see wwere things flowed more smoothly to an audience, though. I missed the character of Professor Calculus, and didn't like Mr. Sakarine made as the "bad guy". There are plenty of those already in the books. The motorcycle chase scene (not, again, in the books) went  a bit too fast.  It  woulkd take  the book  two  whole pages  to describe such action.  Again, Spielburg kissed audiece's a**s to make an "Indiana  Jones" of it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10022 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »

Westward the Women - 8/10 - An overlooked gem. Like most of Wellman's later work, it avoids sentimentality and provides a harsh slice of frontier life. Pioneer life is shown to be a gruelling attritional battle as much as a journey to the promised land, a nice counterweight to, say, Stagecoach. Very good ensemble cast, none of whom seems out of place, and some beautiful photography.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: January 14, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »

Westward the Women - 8/10 - An overlooked gem. Like most of Wellman's later work, it avoids sentimentality and provides a harsh slice of frontier life. Pioneer life is shown to be a gruelling attritional battle as much as a journey to the promised land, a nice counterweight to, say, Stagecoach. Very good ensemble cast, none of whom seems out of place, and some beautiful photography.
Afro I gave it 9/10.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: January 14, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

Carnage (2011) - 4/10. Two couples, after their respective sons have clashed, meet to resolve the issue and nearly come to blows themselves. Oh, the humanity! The point being, presumably, that all that PC stuff people talk about is just a lot of manure (who knew?). This was a play on Broadway not too long ago, but I passed on the opportunity to see it--all 90 minutes of it--performed for 100 dollars. Now it's a Roman Polanski film and it's only 80 minutes and I got to watch it for $6. Good move, Jenkins!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: January 14, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

Are you dissing the great Mr. Hayden? Hey, them's fightin' words!

I believe the only movie I have seen Hayden in is Johnny Guitar. Hated the movie and the actor.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10026 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

I believe the only movie I have seen Hayden in is Johnny Guitar. Hated the movie and the actor.

Wow.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »

Westbound (1959) 8/10

I'll discuss it more extensively at the new Westbound thread  Smiley http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11120.0

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:37:02 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10028 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »

The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974) - 9/10 - I can honestly say I wasn't expecting something this good. Love the premise of Everyman cops/bureaucrats having to outsmart a quartet of master criminals and it's executed flawlessly; this is one of the few thrillers where the twists and turns aren't telegraphed well in advance. Helped immensely by a great cast and lots of quotable dialogue. It's amazing to think that its director later did Jaws: The Revenge. Shocked

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:20:37 AM by Groggy » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: January 15, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

Sterling Hayden is the man. Educate yourself. I can't believe I'm the only one here who loves Johnny Guitar.

As for your nonsensical views on fantasy, you do realize that Leone's films are very dream-like and hardly realistic?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10030 on: January 15, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

Johnny Guitar is one thing. Drink has seriously never seen The Godfather or Dr. Strangelove? Surely one can't judge an actor on the basis of one film, unless it's Jimmy Fallon.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

Sterling Hayden is the man. Educate yourself. I can't believe I'm the only one here who loves Johnny Guitar.

I'm with you. Johnny Guitar is an extraordinary western with lots of memorable stuff. And I also like Hayden in this one, and in other ones like Asphalt Jungle or The Killing and of course Dr Strangelove. And he is fantastic in The Long Goodbye. Still not a favuorable actor of mine.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: January 15, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »

Crime Wave is a favorite of mine and I also dig Terror in a Texas Town.

He was also one of the most interesting actors off the screen imo - as far as what actors have displayed to the public. His interviews with Tom Snyder were great.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:00:17 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: January 15, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »

I just saw Westbound, in which the Union army sends massive daily gold shipments via a regular stage line without a shotgun rider, and everyone knows about it, everyone knows the schedule and the routes, and they don't change the route or add a shotgun rider. A little unconvincing, eh? I don't expect movies to be like real life. It's just that I hate plot elements that show "disdain for the audience," (to borrow a Roger Ebert line RE: the butchered version of OUATIA). Find me one place where I said I want movies to be exactly like real life, and I'll walk to wherever you live and suck your cock for you every day for a week. I just want plot elements to make sense in a cinematic sense, allowing for suspension of disbelief and all. If Monument Valley suddenly appears in a movie that supposedly takes place in New York City, that would bother you, right? It's the same idea. Plot elements should make sense and not show contempt for the audience.

Anyway, we've been down this road way too many times, and that's it. If it makes you feel good to keep putting words in my mouth, go right ahead. It amuses me.  If I had a dollar for every time someone here said something about a movie is "contrived" "ridiculous" "strains credulity," "unconvincing," "not believable," or one of a hundred other synonyms, I'd be a millionaire by now. (Trust me, I've been tempted to point it out every time someone used those terms here, but decided not to cuz I don't care that much. I did only one time -- it happened to be on a post by Groggy, and he threw a hissy fit and said something like "arranging for us to ignore you," which he has had a very hard time doing himself  Grin Grin Grin)

I have certainly seen The Godfather; forgot to mention that as well. But he was awful in Johnny Guitar (and btw that's a terrible movie, but I don't blame Hayden for that).

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:15:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10034 on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

Find me one place where I said I want movies to be exactly like real life, and I'll walk to wherever you live and suck your cock for you every day for a week.

This is not sufficient for me to track down every single post of yours.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM