Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:45:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761307 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10035 on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

Find me one place where I said I want movies to be exactly like real life, and I'll walk to wherever you live and suck your cock for you every day for a week.

This is not sufficient for me to track down every single post of yours.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10036 on: January 15, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »

The difference is that there's generally some consistency to what we call contrived or implausible. You on the other hand seem to pick nits or get riled up for truly bizarre reasons, with a set of standards understandable only to yourself. More annoying though is your eagerness to play the persecution card every time you're called on it.

he threw a hissy fit and said something like "arranging for us to ignore you," which he has had a very hard time doing himself

My comment was more to the effect of, the alternative to people commenting on your posts is everyone ignoring you. Neither a hissy fit nor a real promise to actually ignore you. Didn't you learn context at some point in your studies?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:13:48 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: January 15, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »

Groggy: I don't give enough of a shit to play a "persecution card," believe me. I mean, we're each entitled to our own opinion and that's that. If my opinion is different than most, who cares.  What you call a "persecution card" was nothing but honest befuddlement on my part, how people continually (and rightfully) criticize movies for being non-believable, but somehow it's different when I do it. And if the argument is that you disagree with when I say something is non-believable, that's fine, but then criticize this particular argument, rather than the method of argument. You failed formal logic on that one.

This all started when you indeed threw a hissy fit when you gave a comment about a movie's believability and I questioned you on it. I never have a problem with someone commenting or opposing or criticizing my opinions, of course. The problem is that you put words in my mouth, then give similar arguments as well, and somehow try to draw inane distinctions between my comments and yours.

It was that moment, when I questioned how you could have the same problem with a movie that you criticized me for having, that you changed this from friendly, enjoyable discussion, to a waste of time. I even PM'ed you with a very polite and friendly message just to ensure that this stayed cool and fun and never got stupid, but I guess you must not have received it.

Anyway, I'm in too good a mood to worry about this shit  Grin Grin cuz WHAT A GAME BY THE GIANTS! (and great one last week by Pittsburgh  Tongue)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:37:51 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: January 15, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »

RE: Westbound

For those of you interested in economics:

The movie opens with a discussion of the newly-minted Yankee greenbacks, which are supposedly backed by gold and redeemable for gold at any bank.

I wasn't sure whether this was historically accurate, as I was under the impression that the Yankee greenbacks were actually the first fiat currency, issued in America, and to clarify this point, I asked Robert Higgs, a distinguished economist about that point. Here is his response:

the U.S. Notes issued during the war were fiat money; the Treasury did not redeem them for specie. But because these notes and gold both circulated in the market, they had a market exchange rate. By 1865 the market value of the greenback had fallen about 50 percent against gold. After the war, the government committed itself to eventual redemption of greenbacks at par against gold, and in 1879 it reached this goal.

So I followed up and asked: "could any person with a Yankee greenback walk into any bank in the North and exchange it for gold?"

His response: In general, yes, though at the prevailing market rate. I don't think, though, that the legal tender law necessarily required a bank to exchange a greenback for gold at the currency holder's request, although it did require that creditors accept them in payment of debts.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:48:59 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10039 on: January 15, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »

don't give enough of a shit to play a "persecution card," believe me.

That explains why your average reply to a reply is something like "why are you ragging on me for having a different opinion?" Or these long and detailed arguments.

a hissy fit when you gave a comment about a movie's believability

Specifically I said something to the effect of Brad Pitt not being a believable cop in Se7en. That was not the balance or substance of my beef with the movie, nor did it take up more than half a sentence. That's not a "hissy fit."

honest befuddlement on my part, how people continually (and rightfully) criticize movies for being non-believable, but somehow it's different when I do it

Because your standards for what constitute "believability" make no sense and lack consistency from one movie to the next. Again, basing an argument around a misunderstanding or, at best, a very questionable reading of a film is not a good starting point. We can always debate your analysis, but not when it's "I don't think x character in y situation would do this" based on God knows what criteria (surely not real-life experience when we're talking about policemen, gunslingers, POWs or Mossad agents).  If you could at least tell us why you don't tink x characters in y situation would act that way, fair enough, but generally you don't.

You failed formal logic on that one.

Actually I got a D, but that's neither here nor there and was four years ago anyway.

For someone who doesn't get upset about these "arguments" you sure spend a lot of time and effort rebutting them.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:56:35 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10040 on: January 15, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »

P.S.: I don't especially care who wins between NY and San Fran, but I'm definitely rooting for an NFC team this year. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: January 15, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »

I told Prof. Higgs that my questions were for a discussion on the awesome SLWB. His response was, "I take that this is a good, rather than a bad or an ugly board."  Afro

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:38:43 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10042 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

tintinteslacoil
« Reply #10043 on: January 16, 2012, 06:33:41 AM »

The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974) - 9/10 - I can honestly say I wasn't expecting something this good. Love the premise of Everyman cops/bureaucrats having to outsmart a quartet of master criminals and it's executed flawlessly; this is one of the few thrillers where the twists and turns aren't telegraphed well in advance. Helped immensely by a great cast and lots of quotable dialogue. It's amazing to think that its director later did Jaws: The Revenge. Shocked

I saw this years ago. It was good Up tTo the point the master crook  "electrocuted" himself deliberately on the third rail.  This blew the whole movie for me. Something so well planned and cinemagraphed around subways that have to run 24/7, and yet make a thrillrer, you d think would research a Tiny Bit further:

My dad explained the power system for public suybways and trams. He was an E/M in the Navy 20 years, he worked on DC controls for cranes and elevators as well as the entire power system on ships, one running AC to the cargo cranes and lifts. I, myself,  am a volunteer on our old electric tram, on 4th st. They all use a 600 V DC system, like the subway. The DC system was deliiberated planned to Prevent electrocutioon. The voltage isn't  enough to penetrate the  1/2 or so rubber of a pair of sneakers, unless wet with salt water. Even then, DC causes muscles to cramp up and a person's body uncontrollably flys off. Only low- frequency  AC makes the muscles cramp up so you can't let go, like in the movie. The muscles are contracting and relaxing at line frequency (here, 60 Hz), so the net effect is a wire you "can't let go of". This happened to me on 220, once. Not Pleasant!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:37:05 AM by tintinteslacoil » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: January 16, 2012, 08:19:02 AM »

The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974) - 9/10 - I can honestly say I wasn't expecting something this good. Love the premise of Everyman cops/bureaucrats having to outsmart a quartet of master criminals and it's executed flawlessly; this is one of the few thrillers where the twists and turns aren't telegraphed well in advance. Helped immensely by a great cast and lots of quotable dialogue. It's amazing to think that its director later did Jaws: The Revenge. Shocked

Yeah, awesome movie. Shaw in particular is incredible. (His understated menace, as opposed to the ludicrous Travolta character in the awful remake, is amazing).

My only (minor) complaint on this movie is that the stereotypical New York characters are so waaaaayyyyyy over the top, (eg. the subway guy who gets killed early on cuz he insists on walking up to the train; and the mayor, after being told of the hostage crisis, turning on the game show on tv and being upset he missed the an important part of the show, while there is a hostage crisis). But I guess that's just one of those unwritten rules of cinema: in New York-driven movies, each guy has to outdoing the one before in screaming, unreasonableness, and acting way over the top  Grin

SPOILER ALERT:

I've always thought there was one plot wrinkle that could have been added to the screenplay to make it better: When the hijackers tell the city to make sure there are green lights all the way through to South Ferry Station, perhaps they should have also ordered the city to have a helicopter waiting for them at South Ferry to take them to a fully-fueled plane waiting for them at the airport, and a pilot to take them to the destination of their choice, etc. Ordering the city to have all this useless shit waiting for them when they "arrive" at South Ferry would have a) increased the gridlock the city was up against, and b) further sold the idea that the hijackers were actually staying on the train until South Ferry; pretending to have an obvious escape route once they "reached" South Ferry, would help them to not raise suspicion that they'd jump out before they reached South Ferry. (Of course, for the sake of the movie, Matthau would have still had to figure out their true plans anyway. But even with this added wrinkle by the hijackers to sell the idea that they were staying on the train until South Ferry, Matthau still could have figured out their true plans, cuz his suspicion would ahve been raised when they made that unaccounted-for stop on their way to South Ferry).

IMO, adding that wrinkle would have made an awesome movie even awesomer  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:17:02 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: January 16, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »

SPOILER ALERT:

I've always thought there was one plot wrinkle that could have been added to the screenplay to make it better: When the hijackers tell the city to make sure there are green lights all the way through to South Ferry Station, perhaps they should have also ordered the city to have a helicopter waiting for them at South Ferry to take them to a fully-fueled plane waiting for them at the airport, and a pilot to take them to the destination of their choice, etc. Ordering the city to have all this useless shit waiting for them when they "arrive" at South Ferry would have a) increased the gridlock the city was up against, and b) further sold the idea that the hijackers were actually staying on the train until South Ferry; pretending to have an obvious escape route once they "reached" South Ferry, would help them to not raise suspicion that they'd jump out before they reached South Ferry. (Of course, for the sake of the movie, Matthau would have still had to figure out their true plans anyway. But even with this added wrinkle by the hijackers to sell the idea that they were staying on the train until South Ferry, Matthau still could have figured out their true plans, cuz his suspicion would ahve been raised when hey made that unaccounted-for stop on their way to South Ferry).
Good idea. Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: January 16, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »

My dad explained the power system for public suybways and trams. He was an E/M in the Navy 20 years, he worked on DC controls for cranes and elevators as well as the entire power system on ships, one running AC to the cargo cranes and lifts. I, myself,  am a volunteer on our old electric tram, on 4th st. They all use a 600 V DC system, like the subway. The DC system was deliiberated planned to Prevent electrocutioon. The voltage isn't  enough to penetrate the  1/2 or so rubber of a pair of sneakers, unless wet with salt water. Even then, DC causes muscles to cramp up and a person's body uncontrollably flys off. Only low- frequency  AC makes the muscles cramp up so you can't let go, like in the movie. The muscles are contracting and relaxing at line frequency (here, 60 Hz), so the net effect is a wire you "can't let go of". This happened to me on 220, once. Not Pleasant!
Thanks for the insight. But are you saying there have never been 3rd rail electrocution deaths in the NY subway? And what if you intended to kill yourself, as the Robert Shaw character decided to do? Let's assume that that was always his backup plan. Is there nothing someone so minded could do to ensure the lethality of the experience (shoes with superconductivity built in, say)? I noticed that Shaw braces his opposite foot against a regular rail before extending the other foot to the electrified one; was that to prevent grounding?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10047 on: January 16, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »

The Lady From Shanghai
80 first minutes: 2/10 (1 point for a lovely Rita, 1 point for the very few interesting shots: the rest is garbage)
5 last minutes: 11/10 but I guess everything has been told quite a few times about these 5 minutes.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: January 16, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »

Thanks for the insight. But are you saying there have never been 3rd rail electrocution deaths in the NY subway? And what if you intended to kill yourself, as the Robert Shaw character decided to do? Let's assume that that was always his backup plan. Is there nothing someone so minded could do to ensure the lethality of the experience (shoes with superconductivity built in, say)? I noticed that Shaw braces his opposite foot against a regular rail before extending the other foot to the electrified one; was that to prevent grounding?

his plan wasn't to electrocute himself, but to shoot himself; when Matthau made him drop the gun, he needed a backup plan  Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: January 16, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »

The Lady From Shanghai
80 first minutes: 2/10 (1 point for a lovely Rita, 1 point for the very few interesting shots: the rest is garbage)
5 last minutes: 11/10 but I guess everything has been told quite a few times about these 5 minutes.

Tsk tsk tsk ... but makes 10/10 for the complete film, which actually correspondents with my rating

Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM