Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:06:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830226 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10050 on: January 16, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps   

I rate 2 of 5 stars.

Has Eli Wallach in a small, buy important part.

Now what's even more interesting is that Shia's phone's ringtone is GBU theme (actual Morricone version, not the one on my own old Cheapo phone) it rings twice in the film.  So who put this little touch in, like who suggested it?  Eli, Douglas, Stone, Shia Huh?  I think it's a neat connection, GBU theme and Eli in same film !!!

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: January 16, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

Haha:) seriously, what do you find to save in this movie exept for what I highlighted? Terrible acting, characters, editing, cinematography, dialogues, voice over, music...... And stupid story. I recognize I may have missed some nuances due to the French translation/dubbing, but...

Oh the husband was cool (character and acting).

I don't know, but it is fascinating form the first to the last second. Probably great acting, characters, editing, cinematography, dialogues, voice over, music and intriguing story. Well, have to check the voice over ...

Don't you like films by Welles?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: January 16, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »

Terrible acting, characters, editing, cinematography, dialogues, voice over, music...... And stupid story.
That pretty much sums it up. But the Cult of Welles won't let you say such things and get away with it. They'll be after you for the rest of your life.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »

his plan wasn't to electrocute himself, but to shoot himself;
What part of "let's assume" do you not understand?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: January 16, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

What part of "let's assume" do you not understand?

the "Let's"   Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: January 16, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »

The difference is that there's generally some consistency to what we call contrived or implausible. You on the other hand seem to pick nits or get riled up for truly bizarre reasons, with a set of standards understandable only to yourself. More annoying though is your eagerness to play the persecution card every time you're called on it.

Exactly.

Also as a heterosexual, I am in no place to quote any of his previous posts. I'm thinking he typed that bizarre line so I didn't quote his thoughts on Kiss Me Deadly and many other films - reasonably well played on his behalf, I must admit.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »

Exactly.

Also as a heterosexual, I am in no place to quote any of his previous posts. I'm thinking he typed that bizarre line so I didn't quote his thoughts on Kiss Me Deadly and many other films - reasonably well played on his behalf, I must admit.

I thought you "avoid drinkanddestroy's posts"
 http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg151425#msg151425 (Directing your responses about my posts to a third party, so you can pretend you are not talking to me, is so laughably lame Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes ). Be a big boy and keep your word  

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:09:03 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: January 17, 2012, 02:23:17 AM »

That pretty much sums it up. But the Cult of Welles won't let you say such things and get away with it. They'll be after you for the rest of your life.

Ahh, come on, every film can be criticised by anyone. And is done, especially in the www, and also on this board.

I don't need a cult to enjoy Welles. And The Lady from Shanghai is for me pure fascination when watching it. It surely is also one of the most 100 fascinating (= one of the 100 best) films I have ever seen. It works on a direct emotional level, without one needing any explanation what it all is about or how it was made.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10058 on: January 17, 2012, 03:27:20 AM »

Ahh, come on, every film can be criticised by anyone. And is done, especially in the www, and also on this board.

I don't need a cult to enjoy Welles. And The Lady from Shanghai is for me pure fascination when watching it. It surely is also one of the most 100 fascinating (= one of the 100 best) films I have ever seen. It works on a direct emotional level, without one needing any explanation what it all is about or how it was made.

Still, I'd really like to know what fascinates you in this movie. If I didn't I would probably not bother posting a review here. If it works on a direct emotional level, you probably identify yourself with the main character?  Doing so was impossible to me: I could never understand his actions. Is he supposed to be simple minded? He knows there is a trap and goes right into it, doing even things that he doesn't need to. He never anticipates anything. I cannot understand his actions or even what he wants.

There is a Cult of Welles, of course, and if you ask me he deserves it. Someone who has done Citizen Kane at the time he did it, the way he did it and before he was 25 is my hero (even if CK is too cold to be a personal favorite of mine). I don't really really like his other films I saw (Amberson and Touch of Evil) but at least they had this "Mr.-Orson-Welles-aka-the-guy-who-changed-Cinema-for-ever" feeling. Now, with The Lady, like I said: remove the 5 last minutes, the very very few (I mean no more than 3 or 4... I actually can think of only one) cool shots before that, and I sincerely cannot see anything else than real garbage taking all the clichés from Noir and executing them very poorly without really understanding them.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: January 17, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »

Hard Times (1975) 7.5/10

The casting by Bronson and Coburn are just perfect.

I rented the dvd off Netflix; unfortunately, it is a pan and scan. Considering that the original movie is in 2:35:1, that means that the we are missing we are missing 45% of the width of the picture, so it is terrible, and you can't help but think about it virtually all the time. Especially cuz this is a fighting movie, and there are times when bot fighters are supposed to be in the  shot, and they insteda have to show only one, or half of both. On the rare long shots (eg. a shot that shows an entire fighting ring with the crowd), it isn't as bad, cuz you can see the entire ring in middle, it's just the crowd that's cut. But there are very few long shots in this movie, most of it is very gritty in your face stuff, so it is absolutely awful that it is pan and scanned).

I guess the dvd must have been a direct transfer from a pan and scan VHS, eh? wtf happened, they lost the original film? It's very disappointing to have to see it this way. (and especially coming from Columbia, a major studio). I hope I can see it one day in the 2:35:1 version. Anyone know whether the widescreen version is available somehow?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:44:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

tintinteslacoil
« Reply #10060 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »

Thanks for the insight. But are you saying there have never been 3rd rail electrocution deaths in the NY subway? And what if you intended to kill yourself, as the Robert Shaw character decided to do? Let's assume that that was always his backup plan. Is there nothing someone so minded could do to ensure the lethality of the experience (shoes with superconductivity built in, say)? I noticed that Shaw braces his opposite foot against a regular rail before extending the other foot to the electrified one; was that to prevent grounding?

No. you said that.  Plus, my Daddy didn't lie to me.  He  wasn't a   MSCPO electrician's mate   in WWII and Korea  for lying.

I just said, it wouldn't happen like that. The current would throw him off. And touching another rail would ensure grounding. Simple standing on the ballast  may or may Not work; it may  be too dry for good current flow. I've been nailed a on AC, I know people who have. AC makes for this "can't let go" , not DC. There are electrical safety rules about  this on  AC switchboards and  fuseboxes, etc.

Shaw (I don't like him as an actor; he always plays some creep or a**hole) committed suicide on a whim; he wouldn't pound copper rivets into his shoes before hand. Still, it was a good scene, even tho stupid, like Dirty Harry's blowing up the tower at Alcatraz with a shaped charge*...too bad "Myth Busters" is out of business.

Defibrillators use a DC pulse. the patient convulses.   Even tho they are Dead. AC is used to Stop hearts. Remember Galvani's frog? It was DC, it's leg jumped, involuntarily,  even tho it was Dead.

just like the scene that could have included a helicopter instead of all NYPD being alerted. Or Leone's mock " machine gun"  in AFFOD;  That's Hollywood.

* shaped charges. like a LAWS rocket, burn, they don't explode like a grenade. It would burn a 3/4" hole into the tower, if it's fuse found enough resistance on the wood to even go off. It may burn a bigger hole going out. Army personnel who have used them told me. Still, a good scene...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: January 17, 2012, 07:06:06 AM »

the "Let's"   Wink
So you are unwilling to adopt a hypothetical position? I've heard of lawyers who can never take time off, but that's ridiculous.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: January 17, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »

I just said, it wouldn't happen like that. The current would throw him off. And touching another rail would ensure grounding. Simple standing on the ballast  may or may Not work; it may  be too dry for good current flow. I've been nailed a on AC, I know people who have. AC makes for this "can't let go" , not DC. There are electrical safety rules about  this on  AC switchboards and  fuseboxes, etc.

Shaw (I don't like him as an actor; he always plays some creep or a**hole) committed suicide on a whim; he wouldn't pound copper rivets into his shoes before hand. Still, it was a good scene, even tho stupid, like Dirty Harry's blowing up the tower at Alcatraz with a shaped charge*...too bad "Myth Busters" is out of business.

I believe you, I'm just wondering if there was some way for the filmmakers to have made the scene more believable. Is there anything they could have done, or is the very idea of a 3rd Rail Death impossible? They should have gone for a cyanide capsule instead?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10063 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »

This is the sort of thing that ought to be granted suspension of disbelief. Would a cyanide pill have had the same dramatic effect?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:28:03 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »

No, the fact that the whole film is about a subway hi-jack scheme means the 3rd rail suicide is an appropriate ending. I'm just trying to figure out if the filmmakers could have done anything differently to make things better. Is there a way to stage a 3rd rail death that is both dramatically satisfying AND true to the facts? That's all I want to know.

Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM