Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:48:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763481 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10065 on: January 17, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »

No, the fact that the whole film is about a subway hi-jack scheme means the 3rd rail suicide is an appropriate ending. I'm just trying to figure out if the filmmakers could have done anything differently to make things better. Is there a way to stage a 3rd rail death that is both dramatically satisfying AND true to the facts? That's all I want to know.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: January 17, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »

So you are unwilling to adopt a hypothetical position? I've heard of lawyers who can never take time off, but that's ridiculous.

I'm just kidding... of course I am willing to adopt a hypothetical position. I must have accidentally glossed over the "let's assume" the first time I read it, and so when I saw your reply, I made a joke in response. You are right. I just glossed over it. Mea Culpa  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: January 17, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »

99% of civilians don't know these facts about the 3rd Rail. Common knowledge (or perhaps common misperception) is that the 3rd Rail = Instant Death. (eg. There is a reason why in America, they say that "Social Security is the 3rd Rail of Politics)... So if this is recognizable and makes sense to 99% of people -- however wrong they may be -- I think it's fine for the movie. Definitely has more dramatic effect, considering this is a subway movie, than does a cyanide pill

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:38:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: January 17, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

dj: another point regarding your assumption, is that I don't believe there is even a 1% chance that that would be  Shaw's backup plan (even setting aside this issue of whether or not stepping on the 3rd rail is lethal). Of course, I am willing to accept a hypothetical position for the sake of discussion, but considering that this a movie discussion board, I just want to say that I think the chances of this assumption being the truth is 0%. Even if Shaw did account for the possibility that he would be disconnected from his gun, and wanted a backup plan, it would not be what seems like an awfully painful electrocution death. He just freaked out and took the only option available to him.

Anyway, this whole discussion makes me think of another question: Shaw obviously has no intention of living in jail; he knows all along that if he does not get away then his only choice is death. if so, why didn't he reach for his gun right away? As I recall (and I haven't seen this in a while), Matthau had a gun on him and forced Shaw to put his gun on the ground, right? Now, if Shaw was so intent on dying, why would he listen to Matthau and put his gun on the ground (resulting in his desperate in finally electrocuting himself). He should have just kept his gun and taken a chance (however slim) that he could kill Matthau; and if Matthau indeed kills him first, then so what, he had planned on dying anyway, rather that being caught.

Considering that Shaw's only option (other than getting away cleanly) is death, I don't think it makes much sense that he puts down his gun when confronted by Matthau. (Of course, the writers needed to ensure a 3rd Rail death cuz that is much more awesome than anything else, but perhaps that could have been accomplished in a more plausible way if Matthau has shot Shaw's gun out of his hand, so that Shaw now literally had no other option; I just don't see how his putting the gun down makes sense considering the circumstances

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:16 PM »

I thought you "avoid drinkanddestroy's posts"
 http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg151425#msg151425 (Directing your responses about my posts to a third party, so you can pretend you are not talking to me, is so laughably lame Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes ). Be a big boy and keep your word

I mostly do avoid reading your posts but your replies probably consist of over a quarter of the board's output now - it would be impossible to do. And I never said I was perfect. I quoted groggs because he perfectly summed up my thoughts.

Again, well played on your part from directing the attention away from me quoting your thoughts on sci-fi/fantasy films.

Sigh. I really miss FC and AC.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:36 PM »

Anyway, this whole discussion makes me think of another question: Shaw obviously has no intention of living in jail; he knows all along that if he does not get away then his only choice is death. if so, why didn't he reach for his gun right away? As I recall (and I haven't seen this in a while), Matthau had a gun on him and forced Shaw to put his gun on the ground, right? Now, if Shaw was so intent on dying, why would he listen to Matthau and put his gun on the ground (resulting in his desperate in finally electrocuting himself). He should have just kept his gun and taken a chance (however slim) that he could kill Matthau; and if Matthau indeed kills him first, then so what, he had planned on dying anyway, rather that being caught.

Considering that Shaw's only option (other than getting away cleanly) is death, I don't think it makes much sense that he puts down his gun when confronted by Matthau. (Of course, the writers needed to ensure a 3rd Rail death cuz that is much more awesome than anything else, but perhaps that could have been accomplished in a more plausible way if Matthau has shot Shaw's gun out of his hand, so that Shaw now literally had no other option; I just don't see how his putting the gun down makes sense considering the circumstances
Yeah, suicide-by-cop makes more sense. But the more plausible ending was sacrificed for the more dramatically satisfying one. Still, like you say, maybe there was a way to arrange things so it seemed that Shaw only had two choices: surrender, or death by 3rd Rail.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: January 18, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »

Hard Times (1975) 7.5/10

The casting by Bronson and Coburn are just perfect.

I rented the dvd off Netflix; unfortunately, it is a pan and scan. Considering that the original movie is in 2:35:1, that means that the we are missing we are missing 45% of the width of the picture, so it is terrible, and you can't help but think about it virtually all the time. Especially cuz this is a fighting movie, and there are times when bot fighters are supposed to be in the  shot, and they insteda have to show only one, or half of both. On the rare long shots (eg. a shot that shows an entire fighting ring with the crowd), it isn't as bad, cuz you can see the entire ring in middle, it's just the crowd that's cut. But there are very few long shots in this movie, most of it is very gritty in your face stuff, so it is absolutely awful that it is pan and scanned).

I guess the dvd must have been a direct transfer from a pan and scan VHS, eh? wtf happened, they lost the original film? It's very disappointing to have to see it this way. (and especially coming from Columbia, a major studio). I hope I can see it one day in the 2:35:1 version. Anyone know whether the widescreen version is available somehow?

Has nobody here seen Hard Times? I was really hoping some of you would respond, I'd like to discuss this movie  Wink It was really good, (and I am sure that if I would have seen the widescreen version, I may have rated the movie higher. A 7.5 is a damn good rating for a movie that has 45% of the width chopped  Wink

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10072 on: January 18, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »

It was okay.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »

Looks like Coburn is wearing the same hat (or very similar) as in DYS  Smiley

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »

Has nobody here seen Hard Times? I was really hoping some of you would respond, I'd like to discuss this movie  Wink It was really good, (and I am sure that if I would have seen the widescreen version, I may have rated the movie higher. A 7.5 is a damn good rating for a movie that has 45% of the width chopped  Wink

I reviewed HT in this thread (I can't remember whether my dvd is fullscreen or widescreen though). We also had a couple of pages long discussion on Taking of Pelham.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »

I reviewed HT in this thread (I can't remember whether my dvd is fullscreen or widescreen though). We also had a couple of pages long discussion on Taking of Pelham.

I just searched and found this http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1807.msg138461#msg138461

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: January 18, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »

This is the Pelham thread:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=9853.0

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10077 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:17 AM »

Shaun of the dead 7/10 First viewing. Great ideas, some really good acting, but the real deal was the following movie. This one is still a bit amateurish.
Hot Fuzz 9/10 (24th viewing) Almost perfect (ending a bit too long, but he always has trouble with his second parts)
J.Edgar 6.5/10 Better than expected: it is actually Cinema. Still, no one seems to really know what is the point of the movie, hence a few pacing problems. And it's not very subtle (when a character apologizes, you don't need to hear "thank you" from the other guy and don't need a close up on their hands). Appart from that, it was well done, quite involving (for a biopic). Smart idea toward the end (once again, especially for a biopic), although not really exploited. I guess it was a good thing I didn't know much about Hoover before watching the movie, it probably helped to keep me interested. Oh and it's a shame Eastwood didn't notice that some cool transitions between the different periods were inserted in the script.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: January 19, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »

It was okay.
Yeah.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: January 19, 2012, 11:28:30 PM »

The Train (1964) was playing on TCM last night. I only caught the last hour or so, but it was terrific.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:42:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM