Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:27:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767425 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10080 on: January 20, 2012, 01:41:56 AM »

The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo: 8/10

I was wondering before watching it: is it a new adaptation of the book or a regular remake?
Very well done, I guess it has the same structural flaws than the book (I don't like 5 acts structures, they really perturb the first viewing because of that awkward "This is the ennnnnd!!! oh wait... and there is that too, uh, sorry" feeling) and the previous movie. In the end, it's not very different from the Niels Arden Oplev one except that it is a real film and not a cheap european TV production. The major divergence is the way the girl is shown: here, she's weakest and is more of a girl than a young woman. And of course you've got that Fincher brilliance here and there (the first flash back sequence is comparable to the Facematch scene in The Social Network).
So it's a (good) remake.

It's interesting to note that in his latest 2 movies, David Fincher tries very hard NOT to conclude most of the scenes. TSN and TGWTDG have a weird pacing: things happens very quickly, but the movie is like one single long scene. Another thing: I always thought Fincher was fascinated by lonely figures. Now I think he's more fascinated (and respectful) by people who work hard (hence their lonelyness).

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:47:24 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10081 on: January 20, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »

The Train (1964) was playing on TCM last night. I only caught the last hour or so, but it was terrific.

I knew there was something I liked about you. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »

Haywire (2012) - 8/10. Steven Soderbergh re-imagines the 70s thriller with 21st Century furnishings, and David Holmes, not for the first time, provides the film score of the year. Gina Carano plays an operative who, on a seemingly routine mission, gets burned by her highers. She then has to get out from under, find out what's going on, and deliver pay-back. And she has to do it the old fashioned way--with martial arts scenes shot wide and without a superabundance of cuts. In the process Gina gets to meet and kill Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, and (presumably) Antonio Bad-ass. Once the plot finally pieces itself together it appears a fairly pedestrian story--but that's pretty much beside the point. Clearly, the subject of the film is its own retro style. This feels like the start of a franchise, or maybe even the pilot of a (really, really good) TV series.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10083 on: January 21, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »

3:10 to Yuma (1957) - 8/10 - 3rd viewing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: January 21, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »

The Constant Nymph (1943) - 7/10. Joan Fontaine plays Tessa, the nymph of the title (which should really be "The Constant-Hearted Nymph"). She's supposed to be 14, and looks it. She's in love with composer Charles Boyer, who looks like he's about 50. He's unaware of Tessa's feelings, although she lives in the same household, and is married to icy Alexis Smith. In spite of Alexis's best intentions, she is impeding Boyer's creativity; only Tessa understands him, and only she can help him write his great symphonic poem "To-morrow." She becomes his muse, sending Ms. Smith into paroxysms of jealousy. Eventually Boyer realizes what's up with Tessa and begins reciprocating her feelings (his story could be titled "The Inconstant Nympholeptic"). But it's too late! Did I mention that Tessa has a heart condition, and keeps having these increasingly serious attacks? (which, oddly, no-one in the film seems very worried about). Girls, get out those hankies, you're gonna need at least 3!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:31 AM »

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958) 3/10

what a piece of crap; terrible direction by Boetticher with a screenplay that actually had potential if directed properly. Easily the worst of the Ranown Cycle (okay, technically it may not be part of the Ranown Cycle, so let's say "worst of the Boetticher/Scott Westerns"  Wink )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: January 22, 2012, 06:07:52 AM »

Technically not part of the cycle? Why?

It is a Brown production directed by Boetticher and starring Scott.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: January 22, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »

Technically not part of the cycle? Why?

It is a Brown production directed by Boetticher and starring Scott.

In the special features, Taylor Hackford says it is technically not part of the cycle.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: January 22, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

Then don't believe him.

He probably was talking about Westbound Wink

tintinteslacoil
« Reply #10089 on: January 23, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

So you are unwilling to adopt a hypothetical position? I've heard of lawyers who can never take time off, but that's ridiculous.

I just have trouble with impossibilities, when you are supposed to "believe" a drama. That's  why Myth Bysters exists.

And,Lawyers? Don't start with me on that. I am facing 4 years in prison, my lawyer Better not take time off! This arguement seems So petty compared to four in Florence.

Getting off topic, aren't you? What's your last movie?

tintinteslacoil
« Reply #10090 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:38 AM »

Mine was "Uncle Buck".

A Lot better than I thought. John Candy's best acting that I've seen. No,  he wasn't just an eccentric slob of an Uncle, he was living his life the way he wanted and Loving it. He  told off  some people in that movie  that really deserved it. Wish I could get away with that! He  had what was best in mind for the kids, too. Rare  that a batchelor has that father instinct. Wish there were a sequel.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10091 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03:11 AM »

And,Lawyers? Don't start with me on that. I am facing 4 years in prison, my lawyer Better not take time off! This arguement seems So petty compared to four in Florence.

I don't think he was talking to you.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: January 23, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »

I was talking to the lawyer on the board.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: January 24, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »

I knew there was something I liked about you. Afro

Wink

I really like how, at the end of The Train,

SPOILER ALERT

they intercut the dead bodies with the paintings. Is it really worth it? Hell No, IMO (hey, that rhymes!)

All I know is I wouldn't risk my life to save every friggin' Monet and Manet ever made. Call me uncultured, uncivilized, or just plain selfish (and you're prolly correct on all counts  Wink)

Also, I read (on wikipedia, but they cite a Frankenheimer interview on the History Channel, so I hope it's reliable) that Lancaster's character getting shot in the leg and limping at the end of the film was worked into the script when Lancaster stepped into a hole while playing golf and injured his knee so severely that he could not walk without a limp

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:59:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10094 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:59 AM »

Serpico - 8/10 - Excellent crime film that handles a tricky topic without devolving into grandstanding. Al Pacino gives possibly his best performance in this one. Lots of interesting actors in the supporting cast (M. Emmett Walsh, Jack Kehoe, F. Murray Abraham, Judd Hirsch).

Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM