Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:16:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831376 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10110 on: January 26, 2012, 06:29:36 AM »

The huge flaw is the story, isn't it? I mean how can you make a whole movie where the plot is only backed up by so called secrets that everyone knows? Nothing at all happens in this movie. Nothing is ever at stake, they are all looking for secrets when they perfectly know what the secret is... It's very weird. I've seen it more than a month ago now and I cannot figure out how they pulled off 2 hours of nothing.
Yeah, you've nailed the problem. "Story? What story? We don't need no stinkin' story!"

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tintinteslacoil
« Reply #10111 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »

I don't think he was talking to you.

Yes, he was. You have to go back Several  quotes--I'd really  like to Drop It. It's Only a movie, and I don't want to think about lawyers,  and,  Prisons...it's my birthday. Rather talk of Movies.

My last, on CD , was "Ratatouille". Seen it before but with a coupla screaming kids.  Who wanted to play with the rats at the time, the kittens were there, too, so it was quite a distraction. I had actually gotten the Ratatouille cookbook and tried some. French food all uses some expen$ive ingredient and is in such Tiny portions.  And, Ratatouille isn't some stewed peasant dish like in the movie, it's tossed, like salad.

Got more out of it this time. Lostsa human interest.  Good as "Rango", which was  possibly the  best movie I'd seen in 2011.

Made pasta while I watched. Outa oregano.  Used coriander and  paprika. I wonder if spices can simply be added, or if they have to be heated and stand a while to give full flavor? It's not bad but a little "sweet" .

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10112 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »

Yeah, you've nailed the problem. "Story? What story? We don't need no stinkin' story!"

Since when do you care about story?

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10113 on: January 26, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »

Since he realized no one ever answers his anti-Shore/Burwell/Williams comments.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: January 26, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

neo-PI films don't need a story  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10115 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »

They only need the gaze.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:51:12 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »

Coriolanus (2011) - 5/10. Ralph Fiennes keeps the Bard's words but updates the action (to what seems like a modern Serbian setting) and it doesn't work. When Gerard Butler asks a captured Roman soldier (Roman soldier?) for the news from Rome, we have to wonder why he has to ask: after all, we've just seen Butler watching the nightly newscast. Did he forget to pay attention? And later when we see Coriolanus go into action, we have to wonder, What's a general doing operating at squad level? And why, when he comes across a group of enemy combatants, does he suddenly put down his perfectly good automatic weapon and start fighting with his knife? And why does the enemy respond in kind? Finally, why does the hero act so toffee-nosed all the time? Does he imagine he's some kind of aristocrat or something? What a prig! He deserves all the bad things that happen to him. Is that the point Shakespeare was trying to make?

Norwegian Wood
(2010) - 9/10. Ahn Hung Tran's adaptation of a Murakami novel about Watanabe, a (Waseda) college student in 60s Japan, who is involved with two neurotic women simultaneously. Along with Mysteries of Lisbon, this is the most beautiful looking film I've seen in the last decade. Jonny Greenwood wrote a beautiful score (which the director doesn't always use correctly) but the soundtrack is further augmented with several classic tracks by Can (and one by The Doors). Of course they also have to use the Beatles' song, unimaginatively dumping it onto the closing titles.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:41:53 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »

Norwegian Wood[/b] (2010) - 9/10. Ahn Hung Tran's adaptation of a Murakami novel about Watanabe, a (Waseda) college student in 60s Japan, who is involved with two neurotic women simultaneously.

Can't wait to see it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »

A Lot Like Love (2005)

This is exactly the sort of cutesie romantic movie that I never, ever watch.

So why'd I watch this one? Well, six years ago, I was goin thru some crazy-ass shit with a babe (well, one-sided shit, cuz she didn't give a rat's arse about me   Wink ). This was something that had been going on, for better or worse (ie. almost entirely worse  Wink ) and with various long breaks in between rare encounters, for over 5 years. Well, I finally had to confront this shit (head-on or by killing myself  Wink), and I told a buddy my story. His response? "Your story sounds just like the movie A Lot Like Love! You should watch it!

Well, I Thank God got through the incident, but I forgot about his movie recommendation. I can't remember exactly why I finally put it in my Netflix queue a few days ago; I think must have just hapened to see the title while browsing Netflix, and it reminded me. So, six years later, finally saw the movie!

(I'm not gonna rate the movie, cuz I have zero interest in these kinda films; on very rare times that I watch a movie that is from a genre that I "never watch," I don't give it a rating cuz it wouldn't be fair Wink )

All I'll say is, I did find myself as amused as I can get for a cutesie romantic movie. (Though I ain't recommending it, unless you're teenaged chick). Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet were good.

(My story won't have the happy ending; this chick is married with children by now  Wink. But each of us are living happily ever after, separately  Wink

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:42:26 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10119 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:21 AM »

Coriolanus (2011) - 5/10. Ralph Fiennes keeps the Bard's words but updates the action (to what seems like a modern Serbian setting) and it doesn't work. When Gerard Butler asks a captured Roman soldier (Roman soldier?) for the news from Rome, we have to wonder why he has to ask: after all, we've just seen Butler watching the nightly newscast. Did he forget to pay attention? And later when we see Coriolanus go into action, we have to wonder, What's a general doing operating at squad level? And why, when he comes across a group of enemy combatants, does he suddenly put down his perfectly good automatic weapon and start fighting with his knife? And why does the enemy respond in kind? Finally, why does the hero act so toffee-nosed all the time? Does he imagine he's some kind of aristocrat or something? What a prig! He deserves all the bad things that happen to him. Is that the point Shakespeare was trying to make?

It really baffles me that of all the Shakespeare plays out there, Fiennes chose as his vanity project one of Shakespeare's worst plays. Can we expect a six-hour version of Henry VI set in modern Iraq next? Cheesy

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:13 AM »

Norwegian Wood (2010) - 9/10. Ahn Hung Tran's adaptation of a Murakami novel about Watanabe, a (Waseda) college student in 60s Japan, who is involved with two neurotic women simultaneously.

Any sandwiches involved  Roll Eyes  Azn

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: January 27, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »

It really baffles me that of all the Shakespeare plays out there, Fiennes chose as his vanity project one of Shakespeare's worst plays. Can we expect a six-hour version of Henry VI set in modern Iraq next? Cheesy
I actually like the play, and Fiennes was good in it when I saw him tour it about 11 years ago. It's just the concept that, in an attempt to help Shakespeare reach a wider audience, ends up hamstringing him. So much of the language goes in the process of making it all cinematic.

I agree that the Henry VI plays wouldn't make a very good movie, even set in pre-Tudor England.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: January 27, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »

(My story won't have the happy ending; this chick is married with children by now  Wink. But each of us are living happily ever after, separately  Wink

Why isn't that a happy ending? You'd prefer living miserably together?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: January 27, 2012, 06:36:30 AM »

Why isn't that a happy ending? You'd prefer living miserably together?

I did not say it does not have "a happy ending." I  said it doesn't have "the happy ending" as in THE prototypical Hollywood Happy Ending, of the two subjects of the story living happily ever after together. Every word I say is carefully measured, Mr. Jenkins  Wink

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:44:39 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »

I did not say it does not have "a happy ending." I  said it doesn't have "the happy ending" as in THE prototypical Hollywood Happy Ending, of the two subjects of the story living happily ever after together. Every word I say is carefully measured, Mr. Jenkins  Wink
A good writer always considers his audience and strives for disambiguity at every turn. Readers appreciate all the help they get, and that appreciation often translates into good will toward the writer and his message. In the present case, going out of your way to signal that you were using some words in a special sense would not have gone amiss. One useful technique is caps (as in "The Happy Ending"). I'm giving you this tip for free, I used to bill out at 50 bucks an hour for this sort of thing.

Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM