Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:31:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769514 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10200 on: February 12, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »

You're right there Jenkins. My first viewing was a late night TCM affair at college, on a triple bill with Day of the Jackal and Marathon Man; my brain might just have stopped working for Condor.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: February 13, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »

Pink Floyd The Wall by Alan Parker was really fucking good. Also watched Dersu Uzala and Throne of Blood, two of Kurosawa's best for sure.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: February 14, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »

3 Outlaw Samurai (1964) 7/10. First Blu-ray screening. Peasants oppressed by their local magistrate need championing in Hideo Gosha's first feature. Enter the Good Samurai, soon followed by the Goofy-Looking Samurai, and finally, the Bad Samurai (originally working for the magistrate until he too joins the cause). The story was never going to win any awards, but the photography (b&w 'scope) and the fight choreography are first-rate. Nice body count, too.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10203 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

Victim - 9/10 - Dirk Bogarde is a barrister who also happens to be a closet homosexual. When an ex-lover gets blackmailed and later commits suicide, Bogarde sets out to track down the blackmailers. It's hard to believe that a movie so direct about this topic could have been made in 1961 (I understand it ran into major censorship trouble as is). The movie is structured as a thriller and it's possible to get into the story without focusing on the message (Basil Dearden is no Stanley Kramer), but on either level it's quite a remarkable film.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:58 AM »

Just saw Dr. Zhivago for the first time. (Love TCM's "31 Days of Oscar"  Afro )

My feelings are very mixed. There are parts that were spectacular, and much of the acting was terrific. There were also parts that were overly long; the film would have benefited greatly by losing at least half an hour, and toward the end, I found myself getting pretty restless and waiting for it to be over. I can't tell you how happy I was when Steiger makes his reappearance toward the end, he is so enjoyable to watch, even if he were simply reading the phone book  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:04:33 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10205 on: February 17, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »

I'll agree with all of that. The film is flawed (not the least in its casting of the leads) but the main problem is the source material. Doctor Zhivago, the book, is a beautifully written ramble with nothing resembling a narrative. Any hope of adapting Zhivago into a three-hour film is doomed to failure and Lean and Robert Bolt probably did as well as anyone could have in bringing it to the screen. There have been miniserieses made subsequently which seems the more appropriate format.

That said, it's a movie I try to watch at least once a year. Despite its gaping flaws I find it entrancing and can sit through it an endless number of times.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10206 on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »

The Mudlark - 5/10 - A street waif wanders into Queen Victoria's chambers, inadvertently causing a political incident and melting Old Vicky's widowed heart. It's every bit as thrilling as it sounds. This is the worst sort of period piece: drab black-and-white, boringly directed, and full of stilted dialogue and cheap melodrama. Irene Dunn plays Victoria as a wax dummy, the kid is forgettable and the supporting cast boring. Alec Guinness and Finlay Currie try hard to inject some life but they're fighting an uphill battle.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: February 18, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

I'll agree with all of that. The film is flawed (not the least in its casting of the leads) but the main problem is the source material. Doctor Zhivago, the book, is a beautifully written ramble with nothing resembling a narrative. Any hope of adapting Zhivago into a three-hour film is doomed to failure and Lean and Robert Bolt probably did as well as anyone could have in bringing it to the screen. There have been miniserieses made subsequently which seems the more appropriate format.

That said, it's a movie I try to watch at least once a year. Despite its gaping flaws I find it entrancing and can sit through it an endless number of times.

I can't imagine sitting through it ever again.

I disagree with you about the casting: I think all the principals were terrific -- Omar Sharif, Julie Christie, Geraldine Chaplin, Rod Steiger, and Alec Guiness. (I can't believe that with all those great performances, Tom Courtenay -- with a very small part -- was the one who got the Oscar nomination). Perhaps Sharif was a small step down from the utter brilliance of Christie, Steiger, and Guiness; but IMO the casting is the least of the movie's problems. The pacing is the issue, and that's why I strongly disagree with the Oscar nomination for film editing.

I'd say it's certainly worth a watch, but it really surprises me that this movie is the 8th highest grossing of all-time in America (adjusting for inflation).

I am also very surprised that this film was made only 6 years before McCabe & Mrs. Miller: Christie looks 20 years older in that movie. Somebody did a great makeup job somewhere  Wink

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:51:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10208 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »

Pusher II - 6.5/10
Too long to start, uninteresting character, and the whole thing feels very much like a #2: it's done to be like the first one but it lacks spontaneity. Some really great scenes though, and the last 30 minutes are amazing. I had not felt this tension in a recent movie since I saw We Own The Night in theater.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: February 18, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »

So, if you've seen the first film, you can just come in on this one for the last 30 minutes?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10210 on: February 18, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »

I can't imagine sitting through it ever again.

I disagree with you about the casting: I think all the principals were terrific -- Omar Sharif, Julie Christie, Geraldine Chaplin, Rod Steiger, and Alec Guiness. (I can't believe that with all those great performances, Tom Courtenay -- with a very small part -- was the one who got the Oscar nomination). Perhaps Sharif was a small step down from the utter brilliance of Christie, Steiger, and Guiness; but IMO the casting is the least of the movie's problems. The pacing is the issue, and that's why I strongly disagree with the Oscar nomination for film editing.

I'd say it's certainly worth a watch, but it really surprises me that this movie is the 8th highest grossing of all-time in America (adjusting for inflation).

I am also very surprised that this film was made only 6 years before McCabe & Mrs. Miller: Christie looks 20 years older in that movie. Somebody did a great makeup job somewhere  Wink

Because Courtenay was better than either of the leads? Sharif and Christie are terrible and generate zero chemistry. Chaplin is good, Guinness makes the most of what he has to work with. Steiger is superb. Agree about the pace but that's not to be blamed on the editor.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10211 on: February 18, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »

Anonymous - 2/10 - What hath Roland Emmerich wrought? I've never had much time for the Oxenfraud theory of Shakespeare authorship but that doesn't mean it couldn't make a good film. Unfortunately this is a wretched piece of work from top to bottom. Emmerich crams the movie with overripe melodrama, along with a tortuously snarled plot, cardboard characters and a baffling flashback structure, all alternately boring and infuriating. Historical inaccuracies border on the grotesque, with Elizabeth pupping out bastards left and right and occasionally sleeping with them (yep, that's the twist). With his main plot going nowhere, Emmerich drags in the Essex Rebellion to muddle things further. Acting is pretty bad: Rhys Ifans does a poor Jeremy Irons impression, Joely Richardson wins the booby prize for worst Elizabeth in film history, Vanessa Redgrave does nothing of interest, Rafe Spall is a twatish Shakespeare and David Thewlis and Edward Hogg play Snidely Whiplash-level villains. I'd praise the occasionally-incredible visuals but that implies there's something worthwhile about this tosh. Avoid.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: February 19, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »

Because Courtenay was better than either of the leads

But an Oscar nomination? That one scene in the rail car where you see him as Strelnikov was memorable, but was he particularly memorable in the scenes as Pasha?

Oh, and I have to mention one spectacular line by Steiger (after banging Christie): "Don't delude yourself that this was rape; that would flatter us both."  Grin

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:16:59 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10213 on: February 19, 2012, 02:06:42 AM »

So, if you've seen the first film, you can just come in on this one for the last 30 minutes?

Almost:) you would need a few informations though.
There is actually very few links between the first and the second film. I noticed only two characters that were in both, including the main character (who's the friend of the main character if the first film).

I just decided to watch the third one soon. These films are unperfect but very inspiring for aspiring directors (they show that you can enter the serious business by doing ultra low cost remakes of Mean Streets). Drive was inspiring for the same kind of reasons.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:35:14 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: February 19, 2012, 05:11:57 AM »

The Day of the Jackal (1973) 9.5/10

What a spectacular movie!

SPOILER ALERT

Just had a few questions for y'all:

a) wondering what you thought of the ending, ie. where the "real" Charles X (I will use X cuz I forgot his last name!) shows up to find his apartment ransacked. Do you think that scene added to the intrigue, or was that a step too far, and the screenwriter should have just left well enough alone once the Jackal was killed? if the Jackal wasn't really Charles, what was his deal? was it completely random that he chose the name Jackal, which happened to be similar to Charles X ? or did he choose it purposely, knowing that the cops would then focus on the real Charles X (whom the Jackal somehow knew was out of town but not out of the country so would not be carrying his passport)? And was it simply the Jackal's bad luck that the detectives figfured out to search for passport applications' that used the name of a dead child?

b) Furthermore,  once they did have that scene where we find out that the Jackal is not Charles X, was it overkill to have that final scene where we see them switching his grave with someone else?

c) when the informant came to home of her "lover" (ir. the Cabinet Member) and found him lying on the floor, and is then accosted by the detectives: what happened to the Cabinet member: was he lying on the floor cuz the detectives killed him as punishment for telling the info to the woman?

Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM