Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:53:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834790 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10215 on: February 19, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »

But an Oscar nomination? That one scene in the rail car where you see him as Strelnikov was memorable, but was he particularly memorable in the scenes as Pasha?

What has screen time to do with anything? Courtenay steals every scene he's in, except perhaps the one where he goes head-to-head with Steiger.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: February 19, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

In Darkness (2011) - 7/10. A worker in Nazi-occupied Poland helps hide Jews in the sewers of Lvov. Based on a true story and, apart from the life-in-the-sewer aspect, involving pretty much the kinds of things we've seen in better films like Polanski's The Pianist and the terrific 2009 German film Unter Bauern (called, for some reason in the U.S., "Saviors in the Night"). In fact, since so much of the film takes place underground (and hence "in darkness"), the film's visual style necessarily renders everything either under-lit or unsightly or both. Add to this the frequent use of shakey-cam and tight, claustrophobic framings, and there's nothing here to enjoy in terms of cinematography. Good casting, though (of Polish actors I've never seen before), and some excellent performances.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »

In Darkness (2011) - 7/10. A worker in Nazi-occupied Poland helps hide Jews in the sewers of Lvov. Based on a true story and, apart from the life-in-the-sewer aspect, involving pretty much the kinds of things we've seen in better films like Polanski's The Pianist and the terrific 2009 German film Unter Bauern .

And the one which started it all, Wajda's Kanal.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:03:09 PM by titoli » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10218 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. Liked it a bit more than I remember but still have problems with the pacing, staginess and on-the-nose characterization. A big problem is Errol Flynn, required for once to give a dramatic performance. He gives it his all, but gets blown off the screen by Bette Davis. Still it's a beautiful movie and does a pretty good job with its complicated plot srands. Way better than that thing I watched last night anyway.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10219 on: February 20, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »

PUSHER III

Probably the most pleasant to watch although there is some silliness here and there. Best main character of the trilogy. He's also the only guy to be in all three, which definitely gives him some depth, but what I really like about him (appart from the fact he's less of an individualist bastard than the other 2) is that he's not the man he used to be. He's old, things are moving too fast for him, he's not adapted anymore. I won't say he's like Frank, because:

So what you're all wondering about now, I'm sure, is: which PUSHER is the best? I'd say that each one has something:

PUSHER I - the real one
PUSHER II - best scenes of the trilogy
PUSHER III - best main character, best story.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:49:19 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: February 20, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »

The Mechanic (2011) 5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: February 21, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »

Early Summer / Bakushű [Barley-Harvest Season] (1951) - 10/10. 12th viewing, second with Donald Richie's commentary. It's always great to return to Kamakura to visit old friends. I laughed, I cried. Still my favorite Ozu.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: February 21, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »

Early Summer / Bakushű [Barley-Harvest Season] (1951) - I laughed,

I presume you're the only non-japanese person who ever laughed watching a Ozu movie.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: February 21, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »

Secret Honor was real good, though I would've enjoyed it more if I knew a bit more about Nixon other than general knowledge of the Watergate Scandal. California Split was really fucking great. Altman/Gould are an incredible director/actor duo.

Also: George Washington. A Terrence Malick wannabe movie (where even less significant things happen) for niggers

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:08:57 AM by rrpower » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: February 22, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »

California Split was really fucking great. Altman/Gould are an incredible director/actor duo.

What fcking have you got against Segal?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: February 22, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

What fcking have you got against Segal?
also great.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: February 22, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

also great.

no: fking great.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:46 AM »

ABRAHAM LINCOLN : VAMPIRE HUNTER  Afro
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1611224/

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »

London Boulevard (2010) - 7/10. Colin Farrell comes out of Pentonville after a 3-year stretch for GBH and is immediately recruited by Ben Chaplin, who in turn works for big boss Ray Winstone (who else?). Farrell is reluctant to turn gangster, however, and he luckily snags--on the very day of his release!--a plum job working security for a reclusive movie star, Keira Knightley. He'd rather do that job (especially since Ms. Knightly appears, not to put too fine a point on it, so needy), but, of course, Winstone insists he has the prior claim . . . The predictable plot is not what makes the film interesting, rather, its style, its pace, its cast, its cars, its suits, its locations, its great soundtrack (director William Monahan has explained he essentially made the film just so he could put a Yardbirds song under the opening credits).

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) 11/10. First Blu-ray viewing. I avoided this film for years because it was a courtroom drama, but a couple summers ago I caught it on Turner and was blown away. It's not "a" courtroom drama, it's THE courtroom drama. Preminger did everything right on this one: he started with a good novel, based on a true case. He cast exceptionally well, hired an amazing cinematographer, took everyone on location to the actual places concerned (Upper Michigan)--Foster Hirsh says 100% of the film was shot there--used Saul Bass for his titles, and, coup of coups, got Duke Ellington to do an original score. Preminger made a lot of good films (and several turkeys), but this one approaches cinematic perfection.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) 11/10. First Blu-ray viewing. I avoided this film for years because it was a courtroom drama, but a couple summers ago I caught it on Turner and was blown away. It's not "a" courtroom drama, it's THE courtroom drama. Preminger did everything right on this one: he started with a good novel, based on a true case. He cast exceptionally well, hired an amazing cinematographer, took everyone on location to the actual places concerned (Upper Michigan)--Foster Hirsh says 100% of the film was shot there--used Saul Bass for his titles, and, coup of coups, got Duke Ellington to do an original score. Preminger made a lot of good films (and several turkeys), but this one approaches cinematic perfection.

I have little use for courtroom dramas, but as far as they go, this one is right up there.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM