Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:28:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770263 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10245 on: February 26, 2012, 04:15:12 AM »

The Stunt Man (1980) 8.5/10

2 complaints on  on this film, both involving casting:
a)  I didn't love Steve Railsback as the stunt man. He was alright, but not as great as the other leads
b) Alex Rocco as the police chief? Are you kidding me?!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:25:22 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: February 26, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »

The Last Posse (1953) - 6/10. The posse of the title returns to town with a tale to tell, which we get, in three flashbacks. The flashback structure adds interest to a rather pedestrian story and obscures, though temporarily, its predictability (even the D.O.A. ending is telegraphed). There are some shots of fancy riding which are often undercranked to make them seem more energetic. Most of the action takes place in Lone Pine / the Alabama Hills. Broderick Crawford is excellent as the rummy sheriff who rediscovers his old chops once the chase is joined.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10247 on: February 26, 2012, 06:56:41 AM »

Railsback makes The Stunt Man. He's even better than O'Toole.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »

The Last Posse (1953) - 6/10. The posse of the title returns to town with a tale to tell, which we get, in three flashbacks. The flashback structure adds interest to a rather pedestrian story and obscures, though temporarily, its predictability (even the D.O.A. ending is telegraphed). There are some shots of fancy riding which are often undercranked to make them seem more energetic. Most of the action takes place in Lone Pine / the Alabama Hills. Broderick Crawford is excellent as the rummy sheriff who rediscovers his old chops once the chase is joined.

A pretty unknown and a pretty good one. Underrated. 7/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: February 26, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »

Railsback makes The Stunt Man. He's even better than O'Toole.

well, it's true that he REALLY looks like some unknown kid who wandered onto the set, and doesn't look like a professional. On the other hand, he's not nearly as enjoyable to watch as O'Toole is

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »

Railsback is good in this, but his best work is in Helter Skelter ("It ain't nice to snitch, Shorty") and Lifeforce ("She's destroyed worlds!")

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: February 27, 2012, 04:01:40 AM »

Hell is for Heroes (1962) 3/10

WWII movie with Steve McQueen and James Coburn (the latter has 5th billing). This is a terrible movie, and only gets the "3" cuz any movie with McQueen and Coburn gets at least that  Smiley)  Pretty much the whole movie revolves around part of a platoon of severely outnumbered American soldiers trying to hold their positions against the krauts.

Seems like a very low budget movie, entirely revolving around a battlefield. In middle of the battle scenes, out of nowhere come these scenes of soldiers from both sides firing artillery; it is obviously either real war footage, or stock footage from a different movie, but is very clearly not shot for this movie. This movie is a complete waste of time.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:05:37 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:12 AM »

Drive (2011) 7/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10253 on: February 27, 2012, 04:44:21 AM »

Elizabeth I - 8/10 - A Tudor-related miniseries that isn't sleazy speculative soap opera? It focuses on Elizabeth's personal life but remains on a cerebral level that mature adults can appreciate. Helen Mirren is a superlative Elizabeth, all hauteur, vanity and confused emotions: the best since Glenda Jackson. Jeremy Irons is quite good; Hugh Dancy slightly lesser. Emperor Palpatine plays William Cecil, inspired casting I daresay. Tom Hooper's direction is devoid of the obnoxious photography that's plagued his more recent work. Pack a lunch though; at 211 minutes it's certainly a long viewing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »

Elizabeth I - 8/10 - remains on a cerebral level that mature adults can appreciate.
How do you know? Did you ask your folks?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10255 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »

Hey Jenkins, remember when I said I'd kill you last?

I lied.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »

Hell is for Heroes (1962) 3/10

WWII movie with Steve McQueen and James Coburn (the latter has 5th billing). This is a terrible movie, and only gets the "3" cuz any movie with McQueen and Coburn gets at least that  Smiley)  Pretty much the whole movie revolves around part of a platoon of severely outnumbered American soldiers trying to hold their positions against the krauts.

Seems like a very low budget movie, entirely revolving around a battlefield. In middle of the battle scenes, out of nowhere come these scenes of soldiers from both sides firing artillery; it is obviously either real war footage, or stock footage from a different movie, but is very clearly not shot for this movie. This movie is a complete waste of time.

Some great action scenes, and a psycho as lead. How can that be bad?
And what difference does it make if they used some real war footage? Which most of the old war films did.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:20 AM »

Some great action scenes, and a psycho as lead. How can that be bad?
And what difference does it make if they used some real war footage? Which most of the old war films did.

My problem is not with the fact that they used the footage per se. It's just that that the quality of that footage is so much different than the quality of the rest of the movie, and suddenly tons of people appear out of nowhere, it just seems very awkward. Sure, if done properly, using real footage  can be great. (Sometimes, a sports movie that is depicting a true event will use footage from that event; eg. in Moneyball, they used some footage from actual baseball games that took place in 2001 and 2002, and it worked very well there. But it didn't fit well in Hell is for Heroes).

-- I don't think the action scenes are very great.

-- We hardly ever get a real good perspective of where the Americans are vis-a-vis the krauts.

-- In the early battle scenes during the day, doesn't seem to be much tension. The way they soldiers are walking around and talking, almost nonchalantly, you'd think they were sitting around playing cards rather than fighting for their lives.

-- I don't know why every war movie seems to require a dumb comedic buffoon. and in this case, there are two of 'em: the annoying scrounger and the Polish soldier with the absolute worst Polish accent I have ever heard. (In fact, the accent he is attempting  -- very poorly -- to portray is Russian; he hads no idea how to even try the Polish accent).

-- I don't think the McQueen character is a "psycho." I think he is just a guy who has his own ideas, is not very friendly, and not very interested in taking orders.

This movie has zero redeeming qualities aside from the acting. McQueen and Coburn are always great, and some of the other supporting actors aren't bad either.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:35:12 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

Hey Jenkins, remember when I said I'd kill you last?

I lied.
Dat vasn't very ICE of you.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10259 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:48 AM »

Dat vasn't very ICE of you.

Let ov sahm STEAM, Jinkuns!

Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM