Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 01:02:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759677 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10290 on: March 17, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »

Some stuff ive watched:

McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Wasn't too impressed at first but now that it's sunk in I can't wait to give it another viewing. A clear influence on There Will Be Blood, wonderful anti-western from Altman who's becoming one of my favorite directors.

MASH
Pretty good.

Hugo
Didn't like it as much the 2nd time, but it also wasn't in 3D this time either. The whole movie is decent, but I think the parts involving the mystery/story of Meleis as a director is really, really great. Just wish the whole movie could hold up to that.

Miami Vice
Uhh fuck that.

The Man With a Movie Camera
Cool innovations. Nice shots. Will never watch again.

Take Shelter
Shannon's performance is incredible. Movie's slow pace works as brilliant tension-buildup. Not a huge fan of the ending though.

Shame
Saw it last night. One of 2011's best films. Been thinking about it all day.

The New World
The second time I watched the theatrical cut. Liked it even more. I've only seen the director's cut once but that half hour pushed it over the top.

Days of Heaven
Seen it several times now and it gets better each time, without a doubt the most beautiful film ever made. I still fucking hate the narrator's voice, but I guess it's important to the movie/character. I think the pacing and clarity of what's going on in the first 30-40 minutes is pretty bad. Other than that, one of the greatest romances (or anti-romances?) ever made.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: March 17, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »

McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Wasn't too impressed at first but now that it's sunk in I can't wait to give it another viewing. A clear influence on There Will Be Blood, wonderful anti-western from Altman who's becoming one of my favorite directors.

The first time I watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller, I loved it. By the second time I watched it, it was probably my 2nd all-time favorite AW (behind Rio Bravo). My only criticism is the choice of music -- it's the sort of thing you either love or hate. Otherwise, it's about as perfect as a movie can get.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

Bigger Than Life (1956)

The story seemed very uninteresting to me, and while the acting was all terrific, I found the movie to be just about unbearable. But then I watched one of the special features -- a 27-minute piece with author Jonathan Lethem breaking down the movie wonderfully -- and apparently the entire movie is actually a metaphor/criticism/myth-buster of supposedly idyllic middle class suburbia of the 1950's: where everything is seemingly perfect, but in fact, is far from it and the problems/breakdown are bubbling just beneath the surface. (A couple of many examples: Mason is working part-time as a taxi dispatcher but won't tell his wife; the nice suburban home has a horrible eyesore in the form of an awful hot water tank right in middle of the kitchen).
Reminds me of the time Lucy got a parttime job even though Ricky said she couldn't. So she has to keep sneaking out to work and inventing funny excuses which would never quite add up. And of course when Ricky finally finds out he hits the roof. But then he forgives her when he realizes Lucy was just doing it to make some extra money for Christmas presents. Still, this searing indictment of Late Capitalism was not lost on the TV viewing public of 1956!

Actually, I just made up that Lucy episode, but there's probably one pretty much like it. I just wanted to show you I can beat the bullshitters at their own game.

Moving right along: an eyesore in the kitchen? Oh. My. God. If only Arthur Miller had thought of that! Says so much more than anything in Death of a Salesman.

No, your first reaction was the correct one. As Siggy Fraud could well have said, Sometimes a cortisone addict is just a cortisone addict.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10293 on: March 18, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

The Man With a Movie Camera
Cool innovations. Nice shots. Will never watch again.

Mr. Power speaks truth. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10294 on: March 18, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »

Footloose (2011) - 7/10 - This one pleasantly surprised me. This version developed the characters better than the '84 film which made the silly plot a bit easier to swallow. If anything it's too close to the original in spots (the anger dancing isn't any better set to hip-hop) but most of the changes/updates benefit the film. The kid actors are generally good (Miles Teller especially) but Dennis Quaid and Andie McDowell don't stand up to John Lithgow and Dianne Wiest as the preacher and his wife. Watchable.

My Week With Marilyn - 8/10 - Fictionalized account of the filming of The Prince and the Showgirl through the eyes of Colin Clark, a young "third assistant director" who has a fling with Marilyn Monroe. An enjoyable movie that's much better than its premise suggests. Michelle Williams is appropriately vulnerable and erratic, and a respectable physical match for Marilyn. Kenneth Branaugh as Olivier is on the nose casting but it's his best performance in ages. Eddie Redmayne is very charming; he'd been forgettable in the other flicks I've seen him in but he shines here. Lots of big names in the supporting cast; besides the obvious ones (Toby Jones, Judi Dench, Derek Jacobi) I enjoyed spotting Jim Carter as a publican and Geraldine Somerville in a tiny role.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:12:33 PM by Groggy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »

The first time I watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller, I loved it. By the second time I watched it, it was probably my 2nd all-time favorite AW (behind Rio Bravo). My only criticism is the choice of music -- it's the sort of thing you either love or hate. Otherwise, it's about as perfect as a movie can get.
Loved the music personally. Fits the mood beautifully.

Popeye by Altman......I like it. Shoot me. Fuckers

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: March 19, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - 8/10
I didn't know anything about the book or the TV series. A nice 70s feeling. Not a great date movie, though.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: March 19, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »

Loved the music personally. Fits the mood beautifully.

I wish they'd used the music instrumentally; that way, it still would have captured the appropriate mood, without being as surreal. I know this is a very different kind of Western, but I still just didn't like having the songs in it. (I am generally not a fan of using songs in movies).
There is probably much disagreement over the music; but other than that, this movie is about as perfect as a movie can get.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »

I wish they'd used the music instrumentally; that way, it still would have captured the appropriate mood, without being as surreal. I know this is a very different kind of Western, but I still just didn't like having the songs in it. (I am generally not a fan of using songs in movies).
There is probably much disagreement over the music; but other than that, this movie is about as perfect as a movie can get.
Fair enough, agreed an instrumental would probably work better.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Still sucks after about 15 viewings. Leone's a faggot

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: March 20, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Still sucks after about 15 viewings. Leone's a faggot

And that final standoff is the worst scene in movie history!

I actually just saw this again too: cuz I just got a blu ray player, so I was finally able to watch it on blu ray with Frayling's commentary (which is not on the dvd). The picture is stunning; there is no grain whatsoever.

btw, I still think that parts of the first half of the movie move a bit slow. I have never seen the original American version with the 17 or so minutes removed, but I believe some of the cuts were probably appropriate. The story doesn't really get going until almost halfway through, and I feel some of the early scenes could have been removed or done more quickly. Therefore, though GBU movie is so awesome and has so many incredible scenes, particularly in the second half, I still feel that FAFDM is actually Leone's most perfect Western. Also, Morricone's Civil War theme is one of the few pieces of music in any Leone film that I don't really enjoy.
I think I'm gonna buy the old, unrestored dvd, and actually watch that original America version of the movie.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:43:58 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10300 on: March 20, 2012, 04:16:09 AM »

I'll admit I complain about narrative a lot but with GBU it hardly matters. I'll grant I've never seen the longer cut which may well have pacing problems; only Angel Eyes' scene at the Confederate fort seems essential to the film, and its absence never really bothered me.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: March 20, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »

And that final standoff is the worst scene in movie history!

I actually just saw this again too: cuz I just got a blu ray player, so I was finally able to watch it on blu ray with Frayling's commentary (which is not on the dvd). The picture is stunning; there is no grain whatsoever.

For which the Blu was often criticised. There should be a certain grain in it.

Filtering all the grain out makes a shitty looking soft image.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: March 20, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »

I hate re-buying my movies on Blu-Ray, but I think it might be essential for GBU, OUATITW, and OUATIA. I already sold my DVD copy of America, picking up the Blu next time I want to watch it. I also don't really like the added scenes in GBU Extended Cut and feel it'd be much better without them. Is there a Blu-Ray available with just the theatrical version?

I like the Confederate Theme, but I think it's a bit overused. While I like the constant re-use of other songs in the film, the confederate seems a bit overplayed to me. Which is exactly why I hate this shit movie.

I've only seen FAFDM once, years ago. Likely re-watching it this week.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »

Layer Cake (2004) 7.5/10

At various times, I encountered difficulties following a) the Cockneye accents (I actually used subtitles for a significant amount of time!) b) plot; and c) characters,(No doubt, the three are inter-related  Wink ).

But this was a fun watch. Daniel Craig is spectacular, as usual.

SPOILER ALERT

Interesting point about the ending that it says in the special features:

SONY wanted the ending of the movie to be that Daniel Craig and the (absolutely BEAUTIFUL) Sienna Miller jump in their car and ride off into the sunset, which would have been an typically ludicrous Hollywood ending. But Craig and the director Matthew Vaughn and wanted the ending to be the one that the movie ended up using, which of course is far better. So they shot it, but in the rushes/dailies, they put a label on it that it of film said something like "bad footage" or "damaged footage" or something like that, so that SONY would not bother to look at it and not even know they had filmed it. Then, when everything was completed and they showed SONY the footage of that ending they preferred, the executives flipped out. But when they tested both endings, the one Vaughn and Craig wanted won, and thankfully that was the one that was used  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:38:20 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: March 21, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »

Absolute Power (1997) 8/10

This post contains spoilers:

(As usual), I'll start with some of my complaints:

-- Some of the characters' decisions seem a little silly: the white Secret Service guy really says "maybe we should call the police?" and only after he is scolded by the chief of staff does he say, "maybe that isn't such a good idea/" sounded more like a kid in high school than a Secret Service guy;
-- (and this is a big one:) instead of fleeing the country when he has the chance, the criminal Eastwood stays, after watching the President's press conference, because he can't stand the President's sliminess? Puhleez. I never could stand that code of honor shtick among crooks. Eastwood is a crook who is involved in a very high profile case and his life is in danger. If he gets the chance to escape, he would, period. When he sneers at the President on the tv screen, "I'm not running from you!" the absurdity made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Sure, if he had fled, the movie would be over, but there are other ways that the script could have made him stay, for example, if he would have decided he couldn't bear the idea of never seeing his daughter again.
-- at the end, Eastwood (according to what he tells the old man) returns the contents of the vault, without any explanation or plausible motivation whatsoever. This is one of those silly things that seems to be done simply so we could justify liking the character, and having him as the "hero" of the movie -- (reminded me of Yellow Sky, when the Gregory Peck character returns the money to the bank at the end of the movie; but at last there, it's cuz the girl made him do it). In Absolute Power, I can't see any motivation whatsoever for it, other than justifying the character being the protagonist of the movie  Roll Eyes
-- I didn't love Judy Davis as the Chief of Staff
-- When Eastwood is walking to the cafe to meet with his daughter, at one point in the background behind him we briefly see one of the big white gov't buildings. (I am suddenly drawing a blank and forgetting  which building it was, but) it was so obviously a painted piece of scenery, and the sky in that shot looked ridiculous. It seems completely unnecessary to do that: the precise location of the cafe is not mentioned, and the building doesn't play any role and is absolutely irrelevant to the scene, except for those few seconds where Eastwood walks by and we see it in the background on that dreadful painted scenery. So wtf couldn't they just use whatever background was there?
I guess it may be that there was something wrong with the actual background there (maybe they couldn't block off the street from spectators, maybe it had to be done in a studio, maybe there was some construction or something going on that would have been out of place in the shot. Who knows. But this is the only problem I have with the actual production of the movie, which was otherwise just spectacular.

Overall, Absolute Power (released not long before President Clinton's shit hit the fan, too!) is an extremely well-made movie, and a very fun watch. The long burglary sequence in the beginning that the film centers around was just terrific. The editing is spectacular.
It's a very enjoyable 2 hours and 1 minute  Afro Afro

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:23:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM