Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 11:46:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832179 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10305 on: March 23, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »

Top Gun
Hidden homosexual allegory masterpiece.

Hidden? Huh

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10306 on: March 23, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »

That Hamilton Woman - 8/10 - A top tier historical romance detailing the affair between Admiral Nelson and Lady Hamilton. Pitched at an appropriately tragic level, with our protagonists navigating the perils of war and social restrictions with a grace rarely achieved in other melodramas. Lots of WWII parallels that seem less forced than something like The Sea Hawk. One of Laurence Olivier's better performances, equally good as the dashing younger Nelson, the battle-scarred, haunted veteran, the lovesick sailor. Vivien Leigh is brassily wonderful as always, quite a striking leading lady. Despite being set-bound the Kordas manage an impressive production; gorgeous B&W photography by Rudolph Mate (one deep-focus scene in particular). The Trafalgar battle makes effective use of miniatures and matte work. A first-rate job.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »

Hidden? Huh
True...not at all hidden.

Vincent & Theo
First Altman 'miss' for me. A pretty big bore, without enough interest in either of the two leads for me to be entertained for the 2 1/2 hour running time. That being said, it does a very good job of avoiding the biopic cliches which films like Walk the Line and Ray are infested with, without trying too hard to be unique like I'm Not There.

Take Shelter
Watched it again, great Michael Shannon performance. Lots of slow tension build-up and an overall good movie, but at the end I find myself asking... 'what's the point?'. It's sort of like an overlong episode of the Twilight Zone that manages to not be at all clever. As a family drama however, which I believe is what Nichols was really focusing the story on, it works very well.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »

That Hamilton Woman - 8/10 - A top tier historical romance detailing the affair between Admiral Nelson and Lady Hamilton. Pitched at an appropriately tragic level, with our protagonists navigating the perils of war and social restrictions with a grace rarely achieved in other melodramas.  A first-rate job.
Absolutely agree.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10309 on: March 24, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »

Absolutely agree.

Nice editing Jenkins. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »

Just saw Safe House (the first time I have been to a theater since I saw Moneyball in September). It's a new CIA thriller/action movie with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. it gets a 6.5/10

This discussion contains spoilers

-- The first part of the movie is really good, but later on the CIA has Reynolds do some things that are just plain stupid (eg. bringining DEnzel, the most dangerous man alive, through a packed soccer stadium and actually expecting him not to escape). At the very end, with the plot twist , it turns out that perhaps some of those silly things the CIA made Reynolds do, perhaps make sense after all; but by that time you've spent too much time rolling your eyes. And the big plot twists about corruption at the highest levels, and a list of dirt on CIA agents, I mean, REALLY? How incredibly original!

-- CINEMATOGRAPHY: One of the earliest scenes is a big shootout on a crowded street, which I thought was shot very well: Lots of long-angle shots which continually gave you perspective on where the various players were at all times, relevant to each other; and several close, tight shots as well, giving you the feel of what it is like to indeed run through that crowd like that. Sitting in the theater, I marveled at how well that scene was shot.
But after that, the cinematography went all wrong: in the many subsequent action scenes, including car chases and shootouts, everything was shot very close and tight. Not POV shots, but shots as if you are right there with the player, inside the car in the car chases, or right next to him in the shootouts. While these occasional shots would be good to give the feeling of how it feels to be there, it is ridiculous when the ENTIRE sequence is shot this way, giving you now perspective on the overall picture, where one person is relative to the other, etc. (eg. in the shootout in the first  safe house, at no point do you have any idea where one person is relative to the other, or any sort of layout of the place). And especially when you watch in a theater, watching a scenes like that make you feels like you are on a roller coaster  Sad

--Those scenes with Reynolds's girlfriend are so damn stupid. In his situation, there is absolutely no way in hell he can contact her without compromising himself. I don't care how much he loves her: you wait a day till its all over before contacting her, idiot. They should have completely eliminated her character.

-- What makes this movie fun is the acting: Denzel is one of the greatest actors alive (and as good in his rare "bad guy roles -- such as Training Day and this one -- as in his more frequent good guy roles); and Ryan Reynolds is very good as the other lead. And all the supporting actors are very good as well.
And the first half of the movie does keep you very interested and believing that this could turn out to be an amazing movie; but toward the end, you aren't as fascinated with the story as you were earlier.

-- I saw this movie cuz I was with a friend a a theater in Times Square and hadn't been to the movies in a long time, and was just looking to see something a movie that is of the broad categories of either drama, thriller, or action (ie. I don't watch sci-fi/fantasy/ or comedies). This was one of the few (maybe the only one) that fit my categories and was playing at the time I was there. In that sort of scenario, where you are at a theater and just wanna see something, this is not a bad way to spend 115 minutes; but I would not recommend specifically going to a theater for this movie.

-- This movie has some current political references: the first shootout occurs on a busy street in of South Africa, during a Leftist economic protest similar to those we've been seeing around the world; and there is also a waterboarding scene.
(In it, the interrogator warns Denzel: "Khalid Sheikh Mohammed lasted only 20 seconds." I believe this is wrong: I once read that KSM actually surprised the interrogators by lasting several minutes before they finally were able to break him [but break him they did -- they ultimately waterboarded him 183 times and got a treasure trove of info about terrorist plots].

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:23:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10311 on: March 24, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - 7/10 - There's a lot to like in this new, streamlined take on John LeCarre's spy novel. Gary Oldman gives a marvelous performance, playing George Smiley with snakelike deviousness and droll understatement. If there are sequels I'll check them out just for his sake. There is lots of clever imagery, exotic locations, moral ambiguity and a deliciously complicated plot to savor. Excellent cast, at least on paper. What's wrong then? The movie lacks any real sense of urgency or involvement; it's interesting without being engaging, a huge flaw in this sort of film. Compare it to The Day of the Jackal or The Kremlin Letter and it doesn't come off well at all in this regard. Aside from Smiley and Ricky Tarr all the characters are shallow, which doesn't help no matter who's playing them. Jenkins praised the lack of Tom Wilkinson but there's every other overexposed Brit actor to compensate: could Mark Strong and Toby Jones please take a vacation? Finally there's a very irksome score; whatever idiot thought a disco version of La Mer matched the end montage should be shot. A good movie that could have been better.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:37:15 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10312 on: March 25, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - 8/10 - I've seen all three of the big Bounty movies (there's apparently a silent version too); this is a story that's hard to botch as I like them all about equally. This is definitely an early '60s epic, mixing scenery with character problems and huge scale. The scenery is beautiful, the set pieces are exciting and it's very engaging despite its length. Marlon Brando's strange accent takes some getting used to but he ends up very good. Trevor Howard is superb as always; the air goes out of the film when Bligh leaves the stage. Richard Harris was rarely better even in starring roles. Also a superb score.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »

Key Largo (1948) 7.5/10

A good, fun watch. In this movie starring Bogie, Bacall, Edward G. Robinson, and Lionel Barrymore, the 1 Oscar nomination -- and win -- went to Claire Trevor for Best Supporting Actress.

More discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11205.0

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:42:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: March 26, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1720182/

October Baby (2012)

This is an openly pro-life film, with the subtitle "Every Life is Beautiful."

Plot Synopsis: A high school girl played by beautiful newcomer Rachel Hendrix finds out that she is adopted. Furthermore, it turns out that her mother put her up for adoption after a failed late-term abortion attempt on Rachel and her twin brother -- a procedure which has left Rachel with medical issues, and which caused her twin brother to be born with severe deformities before dying at 4 months old. Her mother had the abortion because she got pregnant after a single meeting with a guy in a bar, and a pregnancy would have hindered the young woman's aspiring career as a lawyer
Rachel resolves to seek out and meet her biological mother, who by now is a successful lawyer. Ultimately, she forgives her mother for attempting to abort her, and her mother comes to deeply regret her prior actions.

how you feel about this film may largely depend on your opinion on abortion, so I won't rate it. I thought it covers an important subject.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:26:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: March 28, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »

Dances With Wolves (1990) 9/10

First viewing of this movie (the 20th anniversary blu-ray, director's cut: 3 hours 53 minutes ).
What an incredible movie. As stunning visually as anything I've ever seen  Afro Afro

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:02:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10316 on: March 28, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

Really, no rant about how it's Communist white guilt propaganda? Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: March 28, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »

Really, no rant about how it's Communist white guilt propaganda? Cheesy

If I recall correctly, and forgive me if I don't, I believe it was you who made a similar rant about Cheyenne Autumn (a film I really liked, btw)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10318 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »

I said it was crap.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10319 on: March 28, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »

Waterloo - 5/10 - Just the kind of historical epic I dislike: all scope, no substance. The first hour is very choppy, as if huge swathes of plot are missing. Dialogue is all exposition, characterization pathetic. Style choices are very odd: slow-motion, odd pans during battle scenes, frantic cutting and misused zooms/close-ups provie disconcerting. The battle scenes are certainly astonishing in scope (the cavalry riding amongst the British squares is amazing) but mostly lack visceral impact. Rod Steiger is awful; given free range to chew scenery he makes John Barrymore look subtle. Christopher Plummer makes a good if one-dimensional Wellington. The rest of the cast is scenery. Rota's score is lame.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:38:29 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM