Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:02:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767048 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10365 on: April 09, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »

No doubt Ellington's music means nothing to you.

It may be that having to deal with obnoxious lawyers day-in day-out, my entertainment value was somewhat diminished.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: April 09, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »

Ah.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: April 09, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »

It may be that having to deal with obnoxious lawyers day-in day-out, my entertainment value was somewhat diminished.

does this have anything to do with me?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10368 on: April 10, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »

Objection, conjecture. Objecture!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: April 10, 2012, 06:08:46 AM »

Someone with an ego problem.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:23 AM »

Desirée (1954) - 4/10. Napoleon, as seen by the woman (Jean Simmons) who loved him first. You will believe that Brando is Bonaparte: the fake nose--what a performance! This is one of those historical dramas that does away with boring battle scenes and substitutes instead soirees, galas, dances--the important events of state. Lavish sets! Costumes that will make your eyes water! Crap!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »

Slightly Scarlet (1956) 5.5/10

If you are happy to sit through 94 minutes of bad film just so you can see Rhonda Fleming and Arlene Dahl show off their assets, this is the movie for you  Roll Eyes

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10372 on: April 10, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »

Desirée (1954) - 4/10. Napoleon, as seen by the woman (Jean Simmons) who loved him first. You will believe that Brando is Bonaparte: the fake nose--what a performance! This is one of those historical dramas that does away with boring battle scenes and substitutes instead soirees, galas, dances--the important events of state. Lavish sets! Costumes that will make your eyes water! Crap!

Brando's Napoleon can't be worse than Steiger's.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: April 10, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »

Can't say, as I haven't seen that performance. I will note, however, that at 5' 9" Brando was a little taller than the Emperor (who historians NOW say was 5' 6.5"). In a clever bit of casting, though, Michael Rennie filled the adversarial role of Marshall Bernadotte. In their scenes together, the upright Bernadotte towers over the morally compromised Bonaparte. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: April 10, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »

If you are happy to sit through 94 minutes of bad film just so you can see Rhonda Fleming and Arlene Dahl show off their assets, this is the movie for you  Roll Eyes
Boy, howdy!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: April 10, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »

Network (1976) 7/10

I love Faye Dunaway, but I cannot believe that she won an Oscar for this movie; her performance was probably the worst thing about it. When she is delivering her long speeches in the corporate offices, it sounds so bad, like she is reading it off a script. This movie is full of long speeches, all delivered very well -- except by her. She's given some very good performances, but this is not one of them.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: April 10, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

This movie is full of long speeches
Two words: Paddy Chayefsky.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10377 on: April 10, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »

Network (1976) 7/10

I love Faye Dunaway, but I cannot believe that she won an Oscar for this movie; her performance was probably the worst thing about it. When she is delivering her long speeches in the corporate offices, it sounds so bad, like she is reading it off a script. This movie is full of long speeches, all delivered very well -- except by her. She's given some very good performances, but this is not one of them.

I remember heartily disliking Network. Whatever may be said about its predictive powers re: the media and reality television, it's still an overwrought, pedantic mess that makes its points too shrilly to be convincing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: April 10, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

I remember heartily disliking Network. Whatever may be said about its predictive powers re: the media and reality television, it's still an overwrought, pedantic mess that makes its points too shrilly to be convincing.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: April 10, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »

Are those good words or bad words?

As Roger Ebert pointed out, this movie tries to do too many things at once (though he gave it 4 stars and ultimately included it in his Great Movies list). I mean, if it's gonna be all satirical with the screwed-up nature of showbiz, why would it suddenly switch to the melodramatic when it comes to the Holden-Dunaway relationship? They did the satire well, but the melodramatic stuff about Dunaway wasn't as interesting (that's another point I agree with Ebert on; the tv-boardroom stuff was very good; the Holden-Dunaway romance not as much).

Holden and Duvall are such amazing actors and so enjoyable to watch, that even some of the very long bits of dialogue work when it is one of them delivering it. But Dunaway was horrible in those parts. She was born to play bad-girl roles, but some of those corporate executive parts here don't work well at all. i particularly remember what I believe is the first long scene she has with one of the network execs (I believe it is Holden), in which she convinces him to run the tv show -- she has this long speech, in which she sounds exactly as if she is reading a prepared statement off a paper. I wonder if there was a teleprompter just offstage. This repeats itself several times.
Also, that scene where she sees Holden on the street after the funeral and re-ignited her relationship with him, was so non-believable it was ridiculous.

Ultimately, based largely on the greatness of Holden and Duvall, there are many enjoyable scenes in the executive boardrooms. Perhaps this movie would have been better off had it completely eliminated the Holden-Dunaway love story. Quite frankly, I never cared that much about them as a couple, or about all that shmaltzy personal stuff.

I loved Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde, The Thomas Crown Affair, and Doc. I think she is wonderful in those sort of (loosely described) "bad girl" roles, but IMO totally miscast in Chinatown... But I was completely shocked, and frankly dismayed, to read that she won the Oscar for Network.

p.s. Beatrice Straight, the woman who played Holden's wife won Best Supporting Actress with the shortest screen time ever: 5 minutes and 40 seconds. (In addition to one very brief and inconsequential scene where she gets out of bed and then wakes up Holden), her entire performance is basically one scene, when Holden tells her that he is having an affair. She was really good in that scene.
The movie won  4 total Oscars: Dunaway, Straight, Peter Finch as Best Actor, and Chayefsky for Best Original Screenplay

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:01:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM