Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 10:10:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834547 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10425 on: April 20, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

Angel Face (1952) 8/10

The commentator on the dvd said that in the 70's he read a piece by Jean-Luc Goddard in a film magazine, and Goddard rated Angel Face as one of the ten best movies of the sound era. (It may have actually been the ten best American films of the sound era; I don't recall exactly). Anyway, I don't think it's that good, but it is an enjoyable movie.
Robert Mitchum is absolutely perfect for this role.
Mona Freeman is lovely in a supporting role. (And she is much hotter than Jean Simmons).

Grand Slam (1968) 10/10

A terrific heist movie. This sort of plot (impenetrable safe, various experts called from around the world to try to break it) is something we've all seen many times, but it is done really well here.

This movie is a Jolly Films production, produced by Papi and Colombo, featuring music by Ennio Morricone and edited by Nino Baragli  Afro

SPOILER ALERT

My one problem with the movie is that last bit with the thief stealing the box in the cafe from Robinson and Leigh. It is a bit too much. I think that there already were enough plot twists and double crosses that Robinson and Leigh walking away with the money would have been fine. Felt like they were reaching for just one twist too much with that last bit with the thief. I suppose we could have made all sorts of guesses as to whether he was a lone thief in the right place at the right time, or if he was working for someone who knew what was going on; but since everyone else who knew about the jewels was by that point already dead, I think it's pretty clear it was a lone, random act.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the Italian guy would have been much happier had he been able to get back to that hot Brazilian girl on the boat and lived happily ever after, than if he had actually gotten away with the jewels  Wink

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:38:41 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10426 on: April 21, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »

Tree Of Life: 9/10
3rd viewing. Still boring, ambitious, empty, fascinating, moving, incredibly well crafted, unique.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10427 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »

The Insider - 9/10 - 2nd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10428 on: April 22, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »

Look Back in Anger - 7/10 - A very bleak and nasty film - by design surely, which doesn't make it any easier a watch. Richard Burton is far better here than in anything else I've seen, playing a real bastard with scant glimmers of humanity. Worth looking out for Donald Pleasance and Nigel Davenport in early roles.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:14:58 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: April 22, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

The Italian Job (1969) 7.5/10

This is a fun movie. But I prefer when heist movies are more drama than comedy.
In a heist-comedy, there really is no tension. Sure, you can still kick back and just enjoy the scenes, but for me, heist movies are more enjoyable when there is real tension.

Michael Caine is always terrific.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:02:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »

Finally, I don't know why, after showing Norman in jail, they cut to the shot of the car being lifted from the swamp, before THE END flashed on the screen. Was that really necessary to see? I mean, we know they are going to remove the car; that shot is useless. Wouldn't have been much creepier if the movie had ended with that shot of Norman's face?
You missed the point of the movie. The film began with Marion Crane, and even though she dies about mid-way through, it is still her story. The shot of the trunk of the car, where her body was stashed, reminds the audience of Marion's fate. After the comforting words of the headshrinker, after having everything "explained," the audience gets handed something that can't be disposed of neatly--Marion's senseless murder. Upon reflection, the audience may even recall that Marion was killed at the point of redemption: she was just about to return the money she stole (another irony: Norman Bates entombed the money with the body unknowingly--something else that the final shot may cause one to remember). But in the world Hitchcock imagined for Marion there is no redemption. That is the chilling final meaning the closing shot communicates, creepier than anything having to do with Norman Bates.

If you study Hitchcock as a genre, you note that Psycho comes soon after Vertigo, Hitchcock's experiment with Tragedy. But even Tragedy with a capital "T" allows for transcendence; with Psycho, a tale of blackest Irony (where transcendence is not allowed), AH touched bottom. In his very next picture, The Birds, he would again treat the subject of a hostile and uncaring universe, but would re-introduce hope in the form of "lovebirds" (both the winged and human varieties). AH's period of pessimism was a short one.

[If you'd like to continue the discussion perhaps we should move to the Hitchcock thread.]

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:07:13 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: April 22, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »

Tree Of Life: 9/10
3rd viewing. Still boring, ambitious, empty, fascinating, moving, incredibly well crafted, unique.
It's not boring!

edit: wow I've posted 2000 times now, what a waste of life

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: April 22, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »

You missed the point of the movie. The film began with Marion Crane, and even though she dies about mid-way through, it is still her story. The shot of the trunk of the car, where her body was stashed, reminds the audience of Marion's fate. After the comforting words of the headshrinker, after having everything "explained," the audience gets handed something that can't be disposed of neatly--Marion's senseless murder. Upon reflection, the audience may even recall that Marion was killed at the point of redemption: she was just about to return the money she stole (another irony: Norman Bates entombed the money with the body unknowingly--something else that the final shot may cause one to remember). But in the world Hitchcock imagined for Marion there is no redemption. That is the chilling final meaning the closing shot communicates, creepier than anything having to do with Norman Bates.

If you study Hitchcock as a genre, you note that Psycho comes soon after Vertigo, Hitchcock's experiment with Tragedy. But even Tragedy with a capital "T" allows for transcendence; with Psycho, a tale of blackest Irony (where transcendence is not allowed), AH touched bottom. In his very next picture, The Birds, he would again treat the subject of a hostile and uncaring universe, but would re-introduce hope in the form of "lovebirds" (both the winged and human varieties). AH's period of pessimism was a short one.

[If you'd like to continue the discussion perhaps we should move to the Hitchcock thread.]

okay, I will respond in the Hitchcock Discussion Thread

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10433 on: April 23, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »

Orca: The Killer Whale - 4/10 - From its reputation I was hoping for some campy fun. Unfortunately it's mostly a bore, a weird, ponderous Jaws ripoff that takes itself far too seriously. Some nonsense moments: the title cetacean taking out a shark (take that Spielberg!), repeated close-ups of a weeping whale eye, the orca blowing up half the town by rupturing a gas line. Richard Harris devours scenery, Charlotte Rampling struggles with the concept of emotion, Will Sampson mutters mystical mumbo-jumbo, Keenan Wynn and Bo Derek become whale munchies. Morricone's score is a highpoint up until the asinine "Love Theme" over the end credits.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10434 on: April 23, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »

It's not boring!

It's boring because it's empty. The book of Job is what could be called "level 0 of argumentation" because its only answer to the paradox of a good God letting (creating?) bad things is: "Haha, THAT'S MY POINT!!! I'm good and I'm God."
Which is a problem when you're spending 3 hours telling nothing more.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: April 23, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »

I have posted 1488, and I've been on the board for 4 years less than you have. I am much more pathetic than you are  Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »

Tightrope (1984) 8/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10437 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

Simba - 8/10 - Dirk Bogarde and Virgin McKenna are English settlers in Kenya during the Mau Mau Rebellion. In large part a message film, with Earl Cameron's educated African doctor in the Sidney Poitier role, urging both sides to get along. That aside, it's a pretty good political thriller that's a lot smarter and more nuanced re: colonialism than a lot of its contemporaries. Compare it to Guns at Batasi, with its similar message and setting (even several of the same actors) couched much more condescendingly, and it comes off especially well.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:52:45 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: April 23, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »

The book of Job is what could be called "level 0 of argumentation" because its only answer to the paradox of a good God letting (creating?) bad things is: "Haha, THAT'S MY POINT!!! I'm good and I'm God."
It's possible that the explicit argument in Job isn't the whole story: there may be an argument implicit in the structure of the story that goes beyond what is stated. I draw your attention to the long "digression" on Leviathan. It is a mistake to assume that the ancients presented ideas in exactly the same way we do today.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »

1. Charley Varrick (1973) 8/10

2. Union Station (1950) 7/10

3. The Woman in the Window (1944) 9/10

4. Dark Passage (1947) 6/10

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:08:57 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM