Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:12:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758857 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10440 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »

1. Charley Varrick (1973) 8/10

2. Union Station (1950) 7/10

3. The Woman in the Window (1944) 9/10

4. Dark Passage (1947) 6/10

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:08:57 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: April 25, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »

Kiss of Death (1947) 7.5/10

-- Victor Mature was really good, as was Colleen Gray. And it was pretty funny seeing Richard Widmark as a gangster with the exaggerated New York accent  Grin

-- As stated in the opening, this movie uses real New York locations -- interior and exterior. It really feels different when a movie uses the real streets of New York, and not a studio backlot. The director, Henry Hathaway, made another noir a year later -- Call Northside 777, which uses locations in Chicago

--A few legal issues

A) The Assistant DA character was bs; he was essentially acting as a cop as well. An ADA can't say "you're under arrest!" Sure, they are very close with the police, but they are not the police.

B) Mature's lawyer should have been there in the ADA's office when he was offered the plea deal to squeal

C) We see Mature's lawyer visit him in jail; there is no reason he would not have been granted bail.

I am not expecting movies to get legal shit very accurate, but I think the things I mentioned are fairly straightforward and pretty blatant mistakes, A) and B) being the worst

SPOILER ALERT

-- The ending was ridiculous. Would Mature really walk out there and be a sitting duck for Widmark, in the hope that somehow he would survive the shots from point blank range? They'd just said that Widmark would get life just for having a gun; shouldn't the cops have picked him up in the car just for that? Mature was pretty much committing suicide by doing that. And after all that, he actually survives 3 shots in the gut?? Really? That was bullshit, done for the sake of a happy ending.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:11:18 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: April 25, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

The Element Of Crime (1984) Director: Lars von Trier Stars: Michael Elphick, Esmond Knight and Me Me Lai.

storyline from IMDb Fisher, an ex-cop, returns to his old beat somewhere in northern Europe after a thirteen-year hiatus in Cairo. His former mentor and role model, author of a treatise called "The Element of Crime", asks him to solve a series of murders involving lottery ticket sellers. Guided by the theories put forth in the book, Fischer retraces the steps of a suspect, Harry Grey, as recorded in a three-year-old police surveillance report.

Interesting minimalist neo noir in a post apocalyptic Europe 7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10443 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »

American Beauty - 2/10 - What is so brilliant about this piece of shit? The cast of phony caricatures? The silted sitcom dialogue masquerading as wit? Symbolism as subtle as an H-bomb? Satire and analysis of suburban America so cutting edge it felt dated in Rebel Without a Cause? The idea that we'll find an irresponsible, obnoxious would-be pederast's journey into self-indulgence enlightening or sympathetic? The goddamned plastic bag? Someone enlighten me. Or rather, don't.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: April 26, 2012, 03:33:27 AM »

American Beauty - 2/10 - What is so brilliant about this piece of shit? The cast of phony caricatures? The silted sitcom dialogue masquerading as wit? Symbolism as subtle as an H-bomb? Satire and analysis of suburban America so cutting edge it felt dated in Rebel Without a Cause? The idea that we'll find an irresponsible, obnoxious would-be pederast's journey into self-indulgence enlightening or sympathetic? The goddamned plastic bag? Someone enlighten me. Or rather, don't.

I didn't think it was anything special either. It is symbolic of what is passing for great film these days.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: April 26, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »

I watched this on VHS ten years ago, and found it excruciating to sit through. All I remember about it now is the disgusting middle-aged man had a crush on this skinny 17-year old girl. And then they torture us further and almost make me vomit by showing her top, which is flatter than a table.

I just looked at its imdb page, and I see it has an 8.5/10 rating. That is INSANELY high  Roll Eyes
That probably puts this movie in like the Top 50 of all-time on imdb, no?

On that note: does anyone have imdb's Top Movies list, or know how I can view it if I do not have imdb Pro? Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:15:17 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10446 on: April 26, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »

I watched this on VHS ten years ago, and found it excruciating to sit through. All I remember about it now is the disgusting middle-aged man had a crush on this skinny 17-year old girl. And then they torture us further and almost make me vomit by showing her top, which is flatter than a table.

But didn't you get the deep, subtle commentary about the neuroses, emasculation and displacement of the modern American man? Or maybe, like me, you were so bored it didn't register. Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: April 26, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

But didn't you get the deep, subtle commentary about the neuroses, emasculation and displacement of the modern American man? Or maybe, like me, you were so bored it didn't register. Cheesy

So are you saying it some sort of combination of the two James Mason movies, Lolita and Bigger Than Life?  Wink

Anyway, I don't think you have the right to judge such a great movie until you have seen it at least 10 times, pausing for frame-by-frame analysis; listened to the score separately on at least 6 occasions; and read the books by Madison, Smith, Jackson, and Thomas, the experts in all things Sam Mendes and Kevin Spacey. They even know more about the meaning behind  Mendes's movies than Mendes himself does. So lemme see: The great cinematic masters Mendes and Spacey make a highly regarded movie at the peak of their prowess. Now some little kid  named Groggy comes along and thinks he found something wrong with it, after having only seen the movie once. Don't take this the wrong way, Groggy,  -- because there are of course many other ways to take it -- but U R A MORAN

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:46:05 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

As I don't care for a film's message I was entertained enough by American Beauty to give it a proper 7/10. Maybe even a 8

Looking forward to Mendes' James Blonde flic. After the beautiful Quantum of Brilliance there is probably a new age of James Bomb quality films dawning.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10449 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

As I don't care for a film's message I was entertained enough by American Beauty to give it a proper 7/10. Maybe even a 8

Looking forward to Mendes' James Blonde flic. After the beautiful Quantum of Brilliance there is probably a new age of James Bomb quality films dawning.

Well it didn't entertain me, that was the problem. If the movie wasn't sleep-inducing on top of everything else I might have been more generous.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10450 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »

So are you saying it some sort of combination of the two James Mason movies, Lolita and Bigger Than Life?  Wink

Anyway, I don't think you have the right to judge such a great movie until you have seen it at least 10 times, pausing for frame-by-frame analysis; listened to the score separately on at least 6 occasions; and read the books by Madison, Smith, Jackson, and Thomas, the experts in all things Sam Mendes and Kevin Spacey. They even know more about the meaning behind  Mendes's movies than Mendes himself does. So lemme see: The great cinematic masters Mendes and Spacey make a highly regarded movie at the peak of their prowess. Now some little kid  named Groggy comes along and thinks he found something wrong with it, after having only seen the movie once. Don't take this the wrong way, Groggy,  -- because there are of course many other ways to take it -- but U R A MORAN
The big problem, of course, is the lack of explosions and CGI. I demand at least ten giant-ass explosions, a dozen shootouts and 56 CGI robots/monkeys/Shia LaBeoufs per film, along with shaky cam, lens flare, chimps-on-crack quick-cut editing and a Hans Zimmer score. Is that so unreasonable? All this movie had was Kevin Spacey's brains getting blown out, which didn't cut it for me.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: April 26, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »

Well it didn't entertain me, that was the problem. If the movie wasn't sleep-inducing on top of everything else I might have been more generous.

For a boring film 2/10 is an absolutely appropriate rating.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »

The Madonna's Secret (1946) I fell asleep twice,but eventually made it through this mystery. 6/10

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: April 27, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »

Avengers - 9/10

It's perfect in its genre, pure action and manliness and some Tony Stark humour. I didn't see most of the Marvel movies, only Thor, so Stark came as a surprise and he's awesome. And I love the Hulk's civilian persona, he's so shy and sweet.
Hiddleston was beautiful as always but due to the 3D it was dubbed and his Hungarian voice actor is horrible. I want the sexy Hiddles voice dammit!

"Does this unit have a soul?"
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »

" curious Alice " ( 1968 )  

You know you're in trouble when the U.S. Department of Health produces a movie that ends up being distributed by Something Weird Video forty-years after it was made. This is a take-off on Alice in Wonderland as a young girl (named Alice of course) starts to get curious about the various "bad" things in her mommy's cabinets. Soon this curiosity leads her to Wonderland where she sees a wide range of... creatures doing bad drugs. If you want a serious take on drug abuse then it's best you don't show this thing to your kids because after viewing it I'd say that the majority of people will be wanting to light up a joint. This isn't a smart or intelligent look at drug abuse and in all reality it really seems as if someone made it to drop some acid to. The animation is actually very nice looking in its own right and the way it tries to create various hallucinations was very effective and I'd say this here is something that will appeal to those who like to watch certain items while out of their minds. At 11-minutes the thing certainly drags in spots but there's enough going on here to watch it once if you enjoy seeing this anti-drug movies that usually go against their own cause.
                ;~0
TCM 5:45 / E.S.T.  /  4 / 28 / 12
or you can watch the damn thing right here  11:59 ~   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833Qe7AmKo4
at 7:55 it's richard belzer ? this movie will drive you to drinking

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:03:56 PM by sargatanas » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM